Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Grass shears

I'm hoping to find an alternative to a crappy strimmer I currently have available.

Many years ago, I tried a grossly under-powered but cheap grass shear device - like a mini-headge cutter. It worked but was incredibly slow and had dreadful battery life.

The target usage is the edges of the lawn. Where the mower simply doesn't manage.

I looked around and found far fewer than I expected. One apparently decent device was this Makita:

Model DUM604 is 160mm a cordless grass shear powered by LXT 18V Li-ion battery.

https://makitauk.com/product/dum604zx

Some criticisms of the Makita made me hesitant. Like weight. Cost of long handle. Indeed, cost of the device itself! (I don't have any higher power rechargeable batteries - still use an old Bosch from NiMH days. So would have to factor in cost of batter and charger.)

Any suggestions?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:

[...]

I have a G-Tech strimmer for edges. It has the advantage that you turn the
cutting action to vertical and deal with the whole edge, not just the top.
It will be inits 4th summer this year.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 18 March 2021 at 09:41:02 UTC, charles wrote:

I have a G-Tech strimmer for edges. It has the advantage that you turn the
cutting action to vertical and deal with the whole edge, not just the top.
It will be inits 4th summer this year.

Thanks. Had seen that in the past, but missed it as I was looking over past few days.

All my edges are up against something - a wall, a bank, a paved area. So no need for the vertical facility!

Do you have to replace the blade regularly?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Thursday, 18 March 2021 at 09:41:02 UTC, charles wrote:

I have a G-Tech strimmer for edges. It has the advantage that you turn
the cutting action to vertical and deal with the whole edge, not just
the top. It will be in its 4th summer this year.

Thanks. Had seen that in the past, but missed it as I was looking over
past few days.

All my edges are up against something - a wall, a bank, a paved area. So
no need for the vertical facility!

Do you have to replace the blade regularly?

It uses special "strings" which are supposedly supplied free. I haven't had
to get any more; I'm still on the initial supply. Very easy to replace.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2021 09:09, polygonum_on_google wrote:

I'm hoping to find an alternative to a crappy strimmer I currently
have available.

Many years ago, I tried a grossly under-powered but cheap grass shear
device - like a mini-headge cutter. It worked but was incredibly slow
and had dreadful battery life.

The target usage is the edges of the lawn. Where the mower simply
doesn't manage.

I looked around and found far fewer than I expected. One apparently
decent device was this Makita:

Model DUM604 is 160mm a cordless grass shear powered by LXT 18V
Li-ion battery.

https://makitauk.com/product/dum604zx

Those are ok from what I hear, but not really designed for your
application (unless you fancy the prospect of bending over for extended
periods to hold it down at ground level).

I would have thought a cordless strimmer type of device would be more
appropriate?

Some criticisms of the Makita made me hesitant. Like weight. Cost of
long handle. Indeed, cost of the device itself! (I don't have any
higher power rechargeable batteries - still use an old Bosch from
NiMH days. So would have to factor in cost of batter and charger.)

Any suggestions?

How many metres of edge do you need to cut? (what is easy to use for 10s
may feel like a chore for 100s or 1000s - so the choice of device might
change)

As with any cordless tool, the quality of the chargers and batteries
have big impact on the experience. Once you have "bought into" a system,
then additional tools get far more reasonable in price bought "body only".

Something like:

https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-...ry-and-charger

works well - I bought one for "light trimming" - as in when I can't be
arsed to get out the petrol line trimmer, or for use by SWMBO and the
sprogs who would not go near the petrol tools! It's actually fairly
decent, not too heavy and you get a good run time from the Makita
batteries. Unlike many "budget" trimmers the line feed system is robust
and actually works.

Plenty good enough for grass trimming, although you would probably not
want to go wading into dense undergrowth or brambles with it.

A more "pro" like handle layout would be more comfortable to use for
more extensive trimming:

https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-...ry-and-charger

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Some jobs aren't worth hauling a machine out for. I spend a pleasant
half an hour with hand shears. Much less accidentally destructive than a
strimmer

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
[...]

I bought an *end of season* replacement mower last year. Hoping for a
reduced price and being disappointed:-(

We have metal lawn edging where practical. Sadly, the rear wheels on the
mower are outboard of the cutting deck and very keen to drop over the
edging. Not an issue with the old rear roller type.

Future edge trimming is not something mentioned in the sales blurb.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 19 March 2021 at 00:22:07 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Some jobs aren't worth hauling a machine out for. I spend a pleasant
half an hour with hand shears. Much less accidentally destructive than a
strimmer

I find the strimmer awkward and, as you say, too destructive. Some of the grass/weeds grows under shrubs which I don't wish to damage.

Although the scale is far from huge, I've always found the sort of physical action required for hand shears or scissors to be tiring and uncomfortable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 18 March 2021 at 11:09:21 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Appreciated - but I wanted to avoid strimmer type. The one I've got is rubbish and, while I have used decent ones in the past, the whole nature is wrong for some of my needs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Friday, 19 March 2021 at 00:22:07 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Some jobs aren't worth hauling a machine out for. I spend a pleasant
half an hour with hand shears. Much less accidentally destructive than a
strimmer

I find the strimmer awkward and, as you say, too destructive. Some of the
grass/weeds grows under shrubs which I don't wish to damage.

Although the scale is far from huge, I've always found the sort of physical
action required for hand shears or scissors to be tiring and uncomfortable.

I think you're after a virtually non-existent tool/machine. I have a
similar issue (I think) on a larger scale, trimming around a large area
of lawn and under (lower than they should be) trees in an orchard.

I have never (and I've been searching for 20 years or more) found a
simple, 'easy' (as in not tiring) way of doing this.

In the main it comes down to 'some sort of strimmer', since I have a
lot of various types to do I have more than one strimmer but which
ever you use it's hard work. One of the better approaches I found was
a Bosch grass trimmer with wheels but it wasn't really big and tough
enough for my requirements. A strimmer with wheels *might* go some of
the way to what you need though, much more controllable and less hard
work when you don't have to support the business end.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2021 09:28, polygonum_on_google wrote:

Appreciated - but I wanted to avoid strimmer type. The one I've got is
rubbish and, while I have used decent ones in the past, the whole nature
is wrong for some of my needs.

Which only really leaves you various shear type cutting implement options.

You may find you can do what you need with a pole type hedge trimmer -
that allows you to get down low, and parallel to the ground easily
enough - although most don't cut right the very end.

You may even find that just a normal 0.5m - 0.6m long battery hedge
trimmer will let you reach the ground with the tip of the blade.

Alternatively go with the traditional manual long handled grass edging
shears.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2021 10:23, Chris Green wrote:
polygonum_on_google wrote:
[...]

You can get quite industrial sized wheeled line trimmers:

https://www.mowdirect.co.uk/brushcut...trimmer-mowers

or getting more serious:

https://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/prod...ters-trimmers/

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:
[...]

Yes, I know, but they're not what I meant. :-)

The Bosch I had was a conventional, lightweight, carry it about,
strimmer, but it had a pair of wheels just above the strimmer head
which made it (fairly) easy to feed under low trees etc. The ones
above are far to big to fit under low trees etc.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 March 2021 at 10:33:06 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
I think you're after a virtually non-existent tool/machine. I have a
similar issue (I think) on a larger scale, trimming around a large area
of lawn and under (lower than they should be) trees in an orchard.

I have never (and I've been searching for 20 years or more) found a
simple, 'easy' (as in not tiring) way of doing this.

In the main it comes down to 'some sort of strimmer', since I have a
lot of various types to do I have more than one strimmer but which
ever you use it's hard work. One of the better approaches I found was
a Bosch grass trimmer with wheels but it wasn't really big and tough
enough for my requirements. A strimmer with wheels *might* go some of
the way to what you need though, much more controllable and less hard
work when you don't have to support the business end.

You could be right there!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 8:00:29 AM UTC, polygonum_on_google wrote:
[...]

We have the Stihl version of this
https://www.bosch-diy.com/gb/en/gard...d-grass-shears
its also useful for mild topiary,

I got sucked into the Bosch 18v garden system. As I had 18v Blue tools assumed the batteries where interchangeable. Anyway got an 18v strimmer for when it wasn't worth taking out the petrol engine jobbie. I do not like at all. However haven't stumped up for the battery and the charger went ahead and got one of these
https://www.bosch-diy.com/gb/en/p/ad...401-v100047538
which is much more useful IME

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:

I'm hoping to find an alternative to a crappy strimmer I currently have available.

Many years ago, I tried a grossly under-powered but cheap grass shear device - like a mini-headge cutter. It worked but was incredibly slow and had dreadful battery life.

The target usage is the edges of the lawn. Where the mower simply doesn't manage.

I looked around and found far fewer than I expected. One apparently decent device was this Makita:

Model DUM604 is 160mm a cordless grass shear powered by LXT 18V Li-ion battery.

https://makitauk.com/product/dum604zx

Some criticisms of the Makita made me hesitant. Like weight. Cost of long handle. Indeed, cost of the device itself! (I don't have any higher power rechargeable batteries - still use an old Bosch from NiMH days. So would have to factor in cost of batter and charger.)

Any suggestions?

https://www.aldi.co.uk/garden-shears-%26-40v-battery-charger/p/00000063453300

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 22 March 2021 at 09:24:18 UTC, Chris J Dixon wrote:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/garden-shears-%26-40v-battery-charger/p/00000063453300

Chris

Yes - saw that. The previous similar device I tried was a cheap one (I think from Lidl but could be wrong). It worked but was incredibly weak and poor battery life. I know this Aldi thing is is much more powerful!

Two bottom ratings out of a total of nine doesn't inspire!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 18 March 2021 at 09:09:15 UTC, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I'm hoping to find an alternative to a crappy strimmer I currently have available.

Many years ago, I tried a grossly under-powered but cheap grass shear device - like a mini-headge cutter. It worked but was incredibly slow and had dreadful battery life.

The target usage is the edges of the lawn. Where the mower simply doesn't manage.

I looked around and found far fewer than I expected. One apparently decent device was this Makita:

Model DUM604 is 160mm a cordless grass shear powered by LXT 18V Li-ion battery.

https://makitauk.com/product/dum604zx

Some criticisms of the Makita made me hesitant. Like weight. Cost of long handle. Indeed, cost of the device itself! (I don't have any higher power rechargeable batteries - still use an old Bosch from NiMH days. So would have to factor in cost of batter and charger.)

Any suggestions?

Just to follow up:

I decided to bite and get the DUM604 - which arrived yesterday and has been used.

It does exactly what I need it to. As quite a lot of my grass abuts a wall, a strimmer is not ideal. And a mower simply doesn't cut close enough. It managed quite thick, thatch-like grass that has built-up for many months without difficulty. Managed under some shrubs. Yes, it could be tiring bending down to use it for long periods but it isn't too bad in terms of weight.

Will now be putting in for the second battery (current Makita offer). And one or two other Makita 18V tools now I have entered their ecosystem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I suppose it ought not be too difficult to make a long handle for it so
that you can use it without bending...

Will now be putting in for the second battery (current Makita offer).
And one or two other Makita 18V tools now I have entered their
ecosystem.

How much run time do you get on it with a full batt?

(I find I get a surprising amount on my hedge trimmers - easily enough
to massacre three large pampas grass!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2021 13:03, polygonum_on_google wrote:

I decided to bite and get the DUM604 - which arrived yesterday and has been used.

It does exactly what I need it to. As quite a lot of my grass abuts a wall, a strimmer is not ideal.

Why? The line does wear more quickly when it hits a wall, and you might
have to stop and extend it once or twice during a strim, but you can buy
an awful lot of line for the for the price of the powered grass shears.

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 27 March 2021 at 08:04:44 UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 26/03/2021 13:03, polygonum_on_google wrote:

I decided to bite and get the DUM604 - which arrived yesterday and has been used.

It does exactly what I need it to. As quite a lot of my grass abuts a wall, a strimmer is not ideal.

Why? The line does wear more quickly when it hits a wall, and you might
have to stop and extend it once or twice during a strim, but you can buy
an awful lot of line for the for the price of the powered grass shears.

As my existing strimmer is just about unusably awful, I needed to get something to replace it. I had already decided to go cordless.

The device I bought was less expensive than a Makita strimmer. And I also got a short hedge-trimmer option.

I might have found a different make at a lower cost, but this does open up the option of all the other 18V Makita tools and few of the other manufacturers have as large a range.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 17:24:34 +0100, polygonum_on_google wrote:

On Sunday, 28 March 2021 at 16:12:20 UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 09:09:13 -0000, polygonum_on_google wrote:

I'm hoping to find an alternative to a crappy strimmer I currently have available.

Many years ago, I tried a grossly under-powered but cheap grass shear device - like a mini-headge cutter. It worked but was incredibly slow and had dreadful battery life.

The target usage is the edges of the lawn. Where the mower simply doesn't manage.

I looked around and found far fewer

Less.

Outwith yer ken.

Just pointing out a completely unnecessary word which gives no further information. Which is annoying.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm hoping to find an alternative to a crappy strimmer I currently
have available.

Many years ago, I tried a grossly under-powered but cheap grass
shear device - like a mini-headge cutter. It worked but was
incredibly slow and had dreadful battery life.

The target usage is the edges of the lawn. Where the mower simply
doesn't manage.

I looked around and found far fewer
Less.

Outwith yer ken.

Just pointing out a completely unnecessary word which gives no further
information.* Which is annoying.

Your posts typically add very little to a discussion. Don't you find it
annoying reading your own posts?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 19:24:19 +0100, Fredxx, the notorious, troll-feeding,
senile smartass, blathered again:

Your posts typically add very little to a discussion. Don't you find it
annoying reading your own posts?

Good question to ask a troll, senile smartass! tsk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

wrote:

I'm hoping to find an alternative to a crappy strimmer I currently
have available.

Many years ago, I tried a grossly under-powered but cheap grass shear
device - like a mini-headge cutter. It worked but was incredibly slow
and had dreadful battery life.

The target usage is the edges of the lawn. Where the mower simply
doesn't manage.

I looked around and found far fewer
Less.

Outwith yer ken.

Just pointing out a completely unnecessary word which gives no further
information.

Which is annoying.

Only to the pathetically anal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 06:23:37 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Only to the pathetically anal.

....says the most pathetic octogenerian trolling senile asshole you ever saw
on Usenet! G

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm hoping to find an alternative to a crappy strimmer I currently
have available.

Many years ago, I tried a grossly under-powered but cheap grass
shear device - like a mini-headge cutter. It worked but was
incredibly slow and had dreadful battery life.

The target usage is the edges of the lawn. Where the mower simply
doesn't manage.

I looked around and found far fewer
Less.

Outwith yer ken.

Just pointing out a completely unnecessary word which gives no further
information. Which is annoying.

Your posts typically add very little to a discussion. Don't you find it
annoying reading your own posts?

Nobody reads their own posts, that would be pointless. I already know what I wrote.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 27 March 2021 at 00:24:15 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

I don't know - yet! Been too wet and windy to want to be out using it. Certainly lasted a quick initial cut round - somewhat rough and hasty - no discernable loss of power despite some very thick patches. I got the 5 AH battery with it - and the offer will provide a second. Suspect I could do what I really need with one 3 AH!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:

Model DUM604 is 160mm a cordless grass shear powered by LXT 18V Li-ion battery.

I think AvE recommended them as bikini line trimmers ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 30 March 2021 at 19:45:31 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
polygonum_on_google wrote:

Model DUM604 is 160mm a cordless grass shear powered by LXT 18V Li-ion battery.

I think AvE recommended them as bikini line trimmers ...

One hell of a bikini line...