Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Default Are Some Grass Shears Simply Incapable Of Being Sharpened?

I've used hand files as instructed by various web pages. The beveled
edge is nice and shiny, but still dull as before I started trying to
hone them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The shiny blade is blinding you. Most of the bevel is useless and not used
in cutting. It is the edge where the blades meet that counts, you need
clean angle matching the bevel angle. Any rounding here is what amounts to
dull. Try flattening the back of the blade by filing there too

Also if the pivot point is adjustable, you want it tight but not so its hard
to close.

"jim" wrote in message
I've used hand files as instructed by various web pages. The beveled
edge is nice and shiny, but still dull as before I started trying to
hone them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grass Shears - use carbide tool, then stone.

"jim" wrote in message
I've used hand files as instructed by various web pages. The beveled
edge is nice and shiny, but still dull as before I started trying to
hone them.

Ditto comments on two prior posters.
Make sure the bevel and the flat back of blade are both bevelled, and flat,
respectively. For reshaping the bevel I use a carbide abrading tool such as
this:
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(xc...Source=froogle
Files are nearly useless in my experience, as they produce an uneven, notchy
bevel.
I put the blades in a vise, do the bevel with the carbide tool, then finish
and deburr with a regular carborundum (silicone carbide) sharpening stone,
using it also to flatten the back of the blades.
Make sure the pivot screw is tight, and hinge is oiled.

OT? Anvil Shears VRS By Pass shears Colbyt Home Repair 4 May 16th 05 06:29 AM
Anyone ever pay to have drills sharpened? Waynemak Metalworking 10 March 28th 05 11:57 PM
Shears vs nibblers Don Gowan Metalworking 1 September 17th 04 10:12 PM
sHARPENED srazor Woodworking 60 September 13th 04 03:20 PM
Sharpened blade --- Better than new Edwin Pawlowski Woodworking 6 May 15th 04 01:56 PM