Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Grass shears

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 18/03/2021 09:09, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I'm hoping to find an alternative to a crappy strimmer I currently
have available.
Many years ago, I tried a grossly under-powered but cheap grass
shear device - like a mini-headge cutter. It worked but was incredibly
slow and had dreadful battery life.
The target usage is the edges of the lawn. Where the mower simply
doesn't manage.
I looked around and found far fewer than I expected. One apparently
decent device was this Makita:
Model DUM604 is 160mm a cordless grass shear powered by LXT 18V
Li-ion battery.
https://makitauk.com/product/dum604zx
Some criticisms of the Makita made me hesitant. Like weight. Cost of
long handle. Indeed, cost of the device itself! (I don't have any
higher power rechargeable batteries - still use an old Bosch from NiMH
days. So would have to factor in cost of batter and charger.)
Any suggestions?

Some jobs aren't worth hauling a machine out for. I spend a pleasant
half an hour with hand shears. Much less accidentally destructive than
a strimmer

I bought an *end of season* replacement mower last year. Hoping for a
reduced price and being disappointed:-(

We have metal lawn edging where practical. Sadly, the rear wheels on the
mower are outboard of the cutting deck and very keen to drop over the
edging. Not an issue with the old rear roller type.

Future edge trimming is not something mentioned in the sales blurb.

--
Tim Lamb