Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default No pictures

The big drawback to this sort of group is that you can't post a picture.
I know you can put it on Dropbox or wherever but that's a faff. On
Facebook or Whatsapp all I have to do to post a picture is
Click on camera and take the picture
Click on the Snipping Tool and go 'edit-copy'
Click on my message and go 'paste'.

I think this medium is outdated.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote:
The big drawback to this sort of group is that you can't post a picture.
I know you can put it on Dropbox or wherever but that's a faff. On
Facebook or Whatsapp all I have to do to post a picture is
Click on camera and take the picture
Click on the Snipping Tool and go 'edit-copy'
Click on my message and go 'paste'.

I think this medium is outdated.

Or classic.

Theres always Homeownershub... ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2021 16:41, williamwright wrote:
The big drawback to this sort of group is that you can't post a picture.
I know you can put it on Dropbox or wherever but that's a faff. On
Facebook or Whatsapp all I have to do to post a picture is
Click on camera and take the picture
Click on the Snipping Tool and go 'edit-copy'
Click on my message and go 'paste'.

I think this medium is outdated.

Bill

better than any other type of forum ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 16:41:48 +0000, williamwright
wrote:

The big drawback to this sort of group is that you can't post a picture.
I know you can put it on Dropbox or wherever but that's a faff. On
Facebook or Whatsapp all I have to do to post a picture is
Click on camera and take the picture
Click on the Snipping Tool and go 'edit-copy'
Click on my message and go 'paste'.

I think this medium is outdated.

Nope, this is just a non binaries (news)group so maybe it's you who is
out of touch Bill? ;-)

eg, 'The medium' is more than capable of carrying pictures, videos and
executables.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
On 13 Mar 2021 at 16:41:48 GMT, williamwright wrote:

The big drawback to this sort of group is that you can't post a picture.
I know you can put it on Dropbox or wherever but that's a faff. On
Facebook or Whatsapp all I have to do to post a picture is
Click on camera and take the picture
Click on the Snipping Tool and go 'edit-copy'
Click on my message and go 'paste'.

After which FB etc can sell your pic to anyone they choose.

I dont think they can. You *have* to give FB permission to share your
pictures (otherwise Facebook simply wouldnt work) but the ownership
remains yours. https://fossbytes.com/do-i-own-my-facebook-photos/

We're tending to use Signal rather than Whatsapp these days as it's not owned
by any of the big boys AFAIK.

Hardly a substitute for USENET though...

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote

The big drawback to this sort of group is that you can't post a picture.
I know you can put it on Dropbox or wherever but that's a faff.

Not really.

On Facebook or Whatsapp all I have to do to post a picture is
Click on camera and take the picture
Click on the Snipping Tool and go 'edit-copy'
Click on my message and go 'paste'.

All you have to do to get the picture on here is
use the camera on the phone and take the picture.
Share it to dropbox on the phone.
Get the link from your dropbox on the PC
Paste it into your usenet post.

No real difference.

I think this medium is outdated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 06:15:03 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2021 16:41, williamwright wrote:
The big drawback to this sort of group is that you can't post a picture...

On the contrary, that is one of its big advantages.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The big drawback to this sort of group is that you can't post a picture.
I know you can put it on Dropbox or wherever but that's a faff. On
Facebook or Whatsapp all I have to do to post a picture is
Click on camera and take the picture
Click on the Snipping Tool and go 'edit-copy'
Click on my message and go 'paste'.

I think this medium is outdated.

Bill

The medium does allow it. It is a deliberate mutual choice (but to some
extent enforced by the lack of free binary news servers) that we don't have
pictures in text groups. Note that in one way or another all the forums with
pictures rely on us paying much more money directly or big business making
money out of our private data.

I like it like that.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2021 16:41, williamwright wrote:
The big drawback to this sort of group is that you can't post a picture.
I know you can put it on Dropbox or wherever but that's a faff. On
Facebook or Whatsapp all I have to do to post a picture is
Click on camera and take the picture
Click on the Snipping Tool and go 'edit-copy'
Click on my message and go 'paste'.

I think this medium is outdated.

There are groups that accept binaries suitable for photos but few
servers carry them down to bandwidth issues.

I think
https://imgbb.com/
is pretty easy to use. It must be if T i m uses it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2021 16:50, Tim+ wrote:

Theres always Homeownershub... ;-)

But aren't they all women?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2021 16:57, Tim Streater wrote:
After which FB etc can sell your pic to anyone they choose.

My pictures are valueless.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote
Tim+ wrote

Theres always Homeownershub... ;-)

But aren't they all women?

Nope, certainly a higher percentage of
them are women there than here tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2021 01:55, williamwright wrote:
On 13/03/2021 16:57, Tim Streater wrote:
After which FB etc can sell your pic to anyone they choose.

My pictures are valueless.

Bill

Don't sell yourself short. You never know, you could be the next Beeple.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2021 20:02, Fredxx wrote:
On 13/03/2021 16:41, williamwright wrote:
The big drawback to this sort of group is that you can't post a
picture. I know you can put it on Dropbox or wherever but that's a
faff. On Facebook or Whatsapp all I have to do to post a picture is
Click on camera and take the picture
Click on the Snipping Tool and go 'edit-copy'
Click on my message and go 'paste'.

I think this medium is outdated.

There are groups that accept binaries suitable for photos but few
servers carry them down to bandwidth issues.

I think
* https://imgbb.com/
is pretty easy to use. It must be if T i m uses it.

Damn. You're right.
Every time I see /imgbb.com/ it make me think that there is a link from
an idiot to vegan related **** so I ignore it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The big good thing about this place is there are no pictures as I cannot
read a picture and as you say yourself where is the faff in putting it on
dropbox and pasting the link here, it keeps this place small, ie you do not
need a binary group with its inherent inefficiency, If that is really
important, go and suffer death by a thousand data leaks on Twitcface. There
is no mystery on why so many people are not on clubhouse its audio only, no
pictures. This place has survived with no pictures long enough to know that
its not going to change cos you want it to, there are places for that and
its just not here! Grin

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"williamwright" wrote in message
The big drawback to this sort of group is that you can't post a picture. I
know you can put it on Dropbox or wherever but that's a faff. On Facebook
or Whatsapp all I have to do to post a picture is
Click on camera and take the picture
Click on the Snipping Tool and go 'edit-copy'
Click on my message and go 'paste'.

I think this medium is outdated.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As I say its like a new neighbour moving in and complaining about the view
of your ham radio aerial which has been in the same place for 20 years, like
so why come here then aka why try to change what this place has always been.

"Tim+" wrote in message
williamwright wrote:
The big drawback to this sort of group is that you can't post a picture.
I know you can put it on Dropbox or wherever but that's a faff. On
Facebook or Whatsapp all I have to do to post a picture is
Click on camera and take the picture
Click on the Snipping Tool and go 'edit-copy'
Click on my message and go 'paste'.

I think this medium is outdated.

Or "classic".

There's always Homeownershub... ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 13:58:10 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

But aren't they all women?

Nope

LOL!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2021 01:55, williamwright wrote:
On 13/03/2021 16:57, Tim Streater wrote:
After which FB etc can sell your pic to anyone they choose.

My pictures are valueless.

Bill

Why take them or keep them, then ??

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2021 01:55, williamwright wrote:
On 13/03/2021 16:57, Tim Streater wrote:
After which FB etc can sell your pic to anyone they choose.

My pictures are valueless.

Bill

Dumb attitude. Your personal data harvested from ****fests like Facebook
is what has earned them billions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2021 07:49, Richard wrote:

Every time I see /imgbb.com/ it make me think that there is a link from
an idiot to vegan related **** so I ignore it.

WHS!

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
williamwright wrote:
The big drawback to this sort of group is that you can't post a picture.
I know you can put it on Dropbox or wherever but that's a faff. On
Facebook or Whatsapp all I have to do to post a picture is
Click on camera and take the picture
Click on the Snipping Tool and go 'edit-copy'
Click on my message and go 'paste'.

I think this medium is outdated.

No thanks. As well as the continuous OT posts, we'd get enormous files of
fluffy kitten pictures.

Not heard of Facebook, Bill, or any of the other ones where you can post
pics ad nauseam?

--
*Real women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
williamwright wrote:
The big drawback to this sort of group is that you can't post a picture.
I know you can put it on Dropbox or wherever but that's a faff. On
Facebook or Whatsapp all I have to do to post a picture is
Click on camera and take the picture
Click on the Snipping Tool and go 'edit-copy'
Click on my message and go 'paste'.

I think this medium is outdated.

No thanks. As well as the continuous OT posts, we'd get enormous files of
fluffy kitten pictures....

Or, as this a DIY group, running commentaries on the life of a DIYer,
such as a picture entitled 'this is the hammer I just hit my finger
with'. The picture will, of course, be badly composed and poorly lit.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
nightjar wrote:
In article ,
williamwright wrote:
The big drawback to this sort of group is that you can't post a picture.
I know you can put it on Dropbox or wherever but that's a faff. On
Facebook or Whatsapp all I have to do to post a picture is
Click on camera and take the picture
Click on the Snipping Tool and go 'edit-copy'
Click on my message and go 'paste'.

I think this medium is outdated.

No thanks. As well as the continuous OT posts, we'd get enormous files of
fluffy kitten pictures....

Or, as this a DIY group, running commentaries on the life of a DIYer,
such as a picture entitled 'this is the hammer I just hit my finger
with'. The picture will, of course, be badly composed and poorly lit.

And often old, taken on an out of focus Box Brownie, but scanned at 1000
dpi. To be viewed on a phone...

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 14/03/2021 01:55, williamwright wrote:
On 13/03/2021 16:57, Tim Streater wrote:
After which FB etc can sell your pic to anyone they choose.

My pictures are valueless.

Why take them or keep them, then ??

Because it can be useful to show what has broken,
what you have that you are asking about, etc etc etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mm0fmf" wrote in message
On 14/03/2021 01:55, williamwright wrote:
On 13/03/2021 16:57, Tim Streater wrote:
After which FB etc can sell your pic to anyone they choose.

My pictures are valueless.

Dumb attitude.

Bull****.

Your personal data harvested from ****fests like Facebook is what has
earned them billions.

I dont care. I find them useful for local news, for stuff
I want to buy and sell, for the group I setup and run.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"mm0fmf" wrote in message
On 14/03/2021 01:55, williamwright wrote:
On 13/03/2021 16:57, Tim Streater wrote:
After which FB etc can sell your pic to anyone they choose.

My pictures are valueless.

Dumb attitude.

Bull****.

Your personal data harvested from ****fests like Facebook is what has
earned them billions.

I dont care. I find them useful for local news, for stuff
I want to buy and sell, for the group I setup and run.

I also dont care that Brin made billions, I find google very useful indeed.

I also dont care about Gates and Jobs for the same reason.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 09:21:51 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

Get the **** out of humans-only ngs, you sick Australian pig!

--
Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew
writes
Or moving to a rural village and complaining about the
noise of cows blaring, tractors on the roads, cocks
crowing etc

Andrew

And lack of broadband.

On 14/03/2021 08:26, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
As I say its like a new neighbour moving in and complaining about the view
of your ham radio aerial which has been in the same place for 20 years, like
so why come here then aka why try to change what this place has always been.
Brian

--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2021 16:52, nightjar wrote:
In article ,
*** williamwright wrote:
The big drawback to this sort of group is that you can't post a picture.
I know you can put it on Dropbox or wherever but that's a faff. On
Facebook or Whatsapp all I have to do to post a picture is
Click on camera and take the picture
Click on the Snipping Tool and go 'edit-copy'
Click on my message and go 'paste'.

I think this medium is outdated.

No thanks. As well as the continuous OT posts, we'd get enormous files of
fluffy kitten pictures....

Or, as this a DIY group, running commentaries on the life of a DIYer,
such as a picture entitled 'this is the hammer I just hit my finger
with'. The picture will, of course, be badly composed and poorly lit.

24 Hours in A&E and its endless repeats on More4 are good
for that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

*** williamwright wrote:
The big drawback to this sort of group is that you can't post a
picture.
I know you can put it on Dropbox or wherever but that's a faff. On
Facebook or Whatsapp all I have to do to post a picture is
Click on camera and take the picture
Click on the Snipping Tool and go 'edit-copy'
Click on my message and go 'paste'.

I think this medium is outdated.

No thanks. As well as the continuous OT posts, we'd get enormous
files of
fluffy kitten pictures....

Or, as this a DIY group, running commentaries on the life of a DIYer,
such as a picture entitled 'this is the hammer I just hit my finger
with'. The picture will, of course, be badly composed and poorly lit.

24 Hours in A&E and its endless repeats on More4 are good
for that.

Don't start me on phone videos submitted to TV, having been taken in
portrait orientation. :-(

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2021 16:41, williamwright wrote:
The big drawback to this sort of group is that you can't post a picture.
I know you can put it on Dropbox or wherever but that's a faff. On
Facebook or Whatsapp all I have to do to post a picture is
Click on camera and take the picture
Click on the Snipping Tool and go 'edit-copy'
Click on my message and go 'paste'.

I think this medium is outdated.

Bill

This came from Usenet and transmitted using NNTP as plain ASCII text
(ASCII art now a dead art ?)

It has its uses and limitations - with ease to add a link to Flikr or
similar it can still be used.

I created a self build group and to allow pictures we went to eGroups,
then that was taken over by Yahoo Groups - who have now discontinued the
service.

There are plenty of forums run on various board software - some good,
some hard work, the issue is they have to be hosted somewhere and that
means a Admin who wants to loade & configure software - and recover
crashes (that happen)

Many have now migrated to FB groups, that does gives multi-media, easy
admin control of members - but a whole world of Spam.

I joined uk-d-i7 around 1983 using trn to access, did a number of
articles at the time for Matthew Marks which went into the DIY Faq.
Is Matthew still about ?

At that point it had a very low ratio of Spam .... but sadly now suffers
heavily from Spam by being cross posts from other groups.

I think this group still has a purpose, but those who want the full
multi-media experience can get what they want from many of the forums
that exist..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"rick" wrote in message
[...]

I get **** all spam in my group and by spam I
include stuff not relevant to the group purpose.

I joined uk-d-i7 around 1983 using trn to access, did a number of
articles at the time for Matthew Marks which went into the DIY Faq.
Is Matthew still about ?

At that point it had a very low ratio of Spam .... but sadly now suffers
heavily from Spam by being cross posts from other groups.

I think this group still has a purpose, but those who want the full
multi-media experience can get what they want from many of the forums that
exist..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:49 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for almost AN HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 03:49:12 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

03:49 already, senile sociopath? And you've been up and trolling since
03:01, yet again, you abnormal obnoxious cretin!

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2021 17:02, nightjar wrote:

Don't start me on phone videos submitted to TV, having been taken in
portrait orientation. :-(

Annoying, aren't they. I'm slightly surprised that iPhones with all
their clever tech don't fix that automatically.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2021 18:56, newshound wrote:
On 15/03/2021 17:02, nightjar wrote:

Don't start me on phone videos submitted to TV, having been taken in
portrait orientation. :-(

Annoying, aren't they. I'm slightly surprised that iPhones with all
their clever tech don't fix that automatically.

How would the phone taking the video know that it was to be viewed on a
TV rather than on another phone similarly held portrait?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2021 15:41, Andrew wrote:
On 14/03/2021 01:55, williamwright wrote:
On 13/03/2021 16:57, Tim Streater wrote:
After which FB etc can sell your pic to anyone they choose.

My pictures are valueless.

Bill

Why take them or keep them, then ??

Sentimental value.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think this medium is outdated.

No thanks. As well as the continuous OT posts, we'd get enormous files of
fluffy kitten pictures.

Not heard of Facebook, Bill, or any of the other ones where you can post
pics ad nauseam?

As usual your logic is hard to follow. Just because I think this medium
is outdated, why do you think that I haven't heard of Facebook? If I
said that black and white TV was outdated would that make you think I'd
never heard of colour?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2021 16:52, nightjar wrote:

No thanks. As well as the continuous OT posts, we'd get enormous files of
fluffy kitten pictures....

On a DIY group?

Or, as this a DIY group, running commentaries on the life of a DIYer,
such as a picture entitled 'this is the hammer I just hit my finger
with'. The picture will, of course, be badly composed and poorly lit.

It would be really useful to just pop in a little image of the item
you're talking about.

Bill