Posted to uk.d-i-y
rick rick is offline

Default No pictures

On 13/03/2021 16:41, williamwright wrote:
The big drawback to this sort of group is that you can't post a picture.
I know you can put it on Dropbox or wherever but that's a faff. On
Facebook or Whatsapp all I have to do to post a picture is
Click on camera and take the picture
Click on the Snipping Tool and go 'edit-copy'
Click on my message and go 'paste'.

I think this medium is outdated.

Bill

This came from Usenet and transmitted using NNTP as plain ASCII text
(ASCII art now a dead art ?)

It has its uses and limitations - with ease to add a link to Flikr or
similar it can still be used.

I created a self build group and to allow pictures we went to eGroups,
then that was taken over by Yahoo Groups - who have now discontinued the
service.

There are plenty of forums run on various board software - some good,
some hard work, the issue is they have to be hosted somewhere and that
means a Admin who wants to loade & configure software - and recover
crashes (that happen)

Many have now migrated to FB groups, that does gives multi-media, easy
admin control of members - but a whole world of Spam.

I joined uk-d-i7 around 1983 using trn to access, did a number of
articles at the time for Matthew Marks which went into the DIY Faq.
Is Matthew still about ?

At that point it had a very low ratio of Spam .... but sadly now suffers
heavily from Spam by being cross posts from other groups.

I think this group still has a purpose, but those who want the full
multi-media experience can get what they want from many of the forums
that exist..