Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Storage heaters

I am looking to remove a storage heater, can anyone tell me when you disconnect the cable to remove the heater do you have to reconnect the cable to the socket. I have other storage heaters so still need the economy 7. I just want to remove one heater

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-3102003-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2021 22:01, woody wrote:
I am looking to remove a storage heater, can anyone tell me when you
disconnect the cable to remove the heater do you have to reconnect the
cable to the socket. I have other storage heaters so still need the
economy 7. I just want to remove one heater

Switch off circuit. Open faceplate of unwanted heater. Disconnect cable
to heater. Replace faceplate. Switch circuit back on. Remover unwanted
heater.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2021 09:16, Muddymike wrote:
On 02/03/2021 22:01, woody wrote:
I am looking to remove a storage heater, can anyone tell me when you
disconnect the cable to remove the heater do you have to reconnect the
cable to the socket. I have other storage heaters so still need the
economy 7. I just want to remove one heater

Switch off circuit. Open faceplate of unwanted heater. Disconnect cable
to heater. Replace faceplate. Switch circuit back on. Remover unwanted
heater.

Mike

Beware of asbestos in the old heater, and any dust within
the heater should be damped down, vaccuumed out with a
*bagged* cleaner and the bag carefully sealed and binned.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2021 11:33, Andrew wrote:
On 03/03/2021 09:16, Muddymike wrote:
On 02/03/2021 22:01, woody wrote:
I am looking to remove a storage heater, can anyone tell me when you
disconnect the cable to remove the heater do you have to reconnect
the cable to the socket. I have other storage heaters so still need
the economy 7. I just want to remove one heater

Switch off circuit. Open faceplate of unwanted heater. Disconnect
cable to heater. Replace faceplate. Switch circuit back on. Remover
unwanted heater.

Shouldn't you remove the cable at the spur box end in the wall?

Beware of asbestos in the old heater, and any dust within
the heater should be damped down, vaccuumed out with a
*bagged* cleaner and the bag carefully sealed and binned.

I thought storage heaters just had bricks to store the heat. They don't
get all that hot.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Mar 2021 at 11:58:07 GMT, "Max Demian" wrote:

On 03/03/2021 11:33, Andrew wrote:
On 03/03/2021 09:16, Muddymike wrote:
On 02/03/2021 22:01, woody wrote:
I am looking to remove a storage heater, can anyone tell me when you
disconnect the cable to remove the heater do you have to reconnect
the cable to the socket. I have other storage heaters so still need
the economy 7. I just want to remove one heater

Switch off circuit. Open faceplate of unwanted heater. Disconnect
cable to heater. Replace faceplate. Switch circuit back on. Remover
unwanted heater.

Shouldn't you remove the cable at the spur box end in the wall?

Beware of asbestos in the old heater, and any dust within
the heater should be damped down, vaccuumed out with a
*bagged* cleaner and the bag carefully sealed and binned.

I thought storage heaters just had bricks to store the heat. They don't
get all that hot.

They've got a lot of relatively heat resistant insulation, and the elements
between the bricks can get pretty hot. Maybe it never needed to be asbestos,
but at the time asbestos was cheap and available, and most other cheap
insulation was not heat resistant at all.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Because they have some form of insulation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 06:22:16 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Senile Rodent about himself:
"I was involved in the design of a computer OS"
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mine had a label, no asbestos.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote:

[...]

LOT20 storage heaters , old systems and changing a storage heater -anyone up on this? [email protected] UK diy 49 August 15th 18 10:40 PM
Asbestos in Storage Heaters? DKSanders UK diy 3 October 8th 03 08:35 PM
Removing storage heaters NC UK diy 10 August 13th 03 10:52 PM
Where to buy night storage heaters (Economy 7) Ian Watkins UK diy 4 July 27th 03 10:26 AM
Efficient Electric water storage heaters Neal Unitt-Jones UK diy 9 July 24th 03 08:29 PM