Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: We are very lucky

"Max Demian" wrote in message
On 02/03/2021 19:18, Rod Speed wrote:
"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 02/03/2021 09:45, tim... wrote:
"Max Demian" wrote in message

Based on my family history, I expect to live to 90 or so. But what
then?

what do you mean by that?

[...]
what do you do with yourself doddering around like a 90 YO

Yeah; even being a healthy 95-year-old would hardly be worth it, from
what I've seen of people of that age and more.

I know one who is still doing fine.

FSVO "doing fine".

He continues to do what he has done for as long as I have
known him and thats more than 50 years now. He doesnt
drive as much as he used to but that is likely because our
drivers licensing system is very stringent indeed for the
elderly. We dont have anything like your motability system.

People say, "He's marvellous for his age."

No one ever says that about him.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 10:20:54 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2021 11:59, Andrew wrote:
On 02/03/2021 11:39, Andrew wrote:
On 02/03/2021 10:54, Max Demian wrote:
On 02/03/2021 09:45, tim... wrote:
"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 01/03/2021 18:22, williamwright wrote:

I had a thought this morning, as a lay there too idle to get up.
So just now I googled to get my facts straight. We represent the
300,000th generation of humans (OK, I do. My kids are 300,001st;
their kids are the 300,002nd.)
But until only about seven generations ago almost everyone died
before they were fifty, and many died in their thirties. Go back
further and few survived beyond their twenties.
So aren't we incredibly lucky?Â* We had a one in 43,000 chance of
being humans who can expect a long lifespan.

Doesn't mean we are happy.

Based on my family history, I expect to live to 90 or so. But what
then?

what do you mean by that?

what happens afterwards

or

what do you do with yourself doddering around like a 90 YO

Yeah; even being a healthy 95-year-old would hardly be worth it, from
what I've seen of people of that age and more.

My dad lived to 86 (I think) beyond 80 he was virtually house bound.
Is that a life?

That's rather soon. My father lived to 92, though, towards the end,
found it hard to go far due to heart problems (which are a family
trait).

Fortunately, none of our family suffered from dementia

My mother had it and died at 87. I don't know if it's hereditary.

The ONS website has an interesting interactive graph showing the
percentage of the population over 65 and over 80 from 1996 to
2036.

Looks like we need a global pandemic to slow down or reverse
this trend. Oh dear.

Forgot the link

One of the benefits of ageing

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...ation/july2017

just got very lucky woodchucker[_3_] Woodworking 5 January 3rd 14 07:13 PM
just got very lucky Joe Woodworking 4 January 1st 14 08:23 PM
Need Source for very very very small 54 pin connector Jeff[_15_] Electronics Repair 3 September 13th 11 08:18 AM
you feel lucky today? rodrigo novajas Home Ownership 0 April 17th 05 07:59 PM