Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Felted flat roof, moss and chippings

Over the past year or so quite a lot of moss has grown on my garage
roof. It is pretty much a very big sponge.

I've had some success by shovelling a few spades at a time into a big
container full of water and then gently fishing out the moss with a
rake. But that's nowhere near 100% effective.

Ideas and what should I do next?

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:
Over the past year or so quite a lot of moss has grown on my garage
roof. It is pretty much a very big sponge.

I've had some success by shovelling a few spades at a time into a big
container full of water and then gently fishing out the moss with a
rake. But that's nowhere near 100% effective.

Ideas and what should I do next?

Leave it where it is? Whatever you do to remove it is likely to
damage the roofing surface. What harm is it doing?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2021 10:35, AnthonyL wrote:
Over the past year or so quite a lot of moss has grown on my garage
roof. It is pretty much a very big sponge.

I've had some success by shovelling a few spades at a time into a big
container full of water and then gently fishing out the moss with a
rake. But that's nowhere near 100% effective.

Ideas and what should I do nex

The idea of chippings was, IIRC, to increase the surface area to aid
evaporation. Moss, however, has other ideas.

Would grass seeds grow on top? Seen swanky "green" roofs on property
programmes.

-&-

We put a new flat roof in bitumen without the chippings, and laid
aluminium paint on top, er, to avoid it melting in the sun.

So now my particular problem has gone the other way ....

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, February 7, 2021 at 10:35:55 AM UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
Over the past year or so quite a lot of moss has grown on my garage
roof. It is pretty much a very big sponge.

I've had some success by shovelling a few spades at a time into a big
container full of water and then gently fishing out the moss with a
rake. But that's nowhere near 100% effective.

Ideas and what should I do next?

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Sprinkle it with bioligical washing powser. I did find an alternative liquid solution which I also found effective on our drive . Label reads " Bac 50" from R&D Laboratories Ltd., Unit U, Enkalon Ind. Est., Antrim BT41 4LJ

Apparently it is C10-C16 Alkyl Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride (50%) Perhaps you could run some up yourself.

So far it is just as effective as the biological washing powder but perhaps easier spread. (Diluted and sprayed with a garden pressure sprayer.) Prior to this the washing powder was the only effective solution I could find. Lasted a few years. All other 'Moss Solution' products were useless. They required the removal of the dead moss. I found it very hard to shift even with a Stihl power brush attachment on their split boom system and using a spade threatened damage to the tarmac on the drive,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, February 7, 2021 at 11:41:22 AM UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
[...]

I though the chippings were to ease the drainage and stop rain pooling on the roof ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2021 11:10, Chris Green wrote:
AnthonyL wrote:
Over the past year or so quite a lot of moss has grown on my garage
roof. It is pretty much a very big sponge.

I've had some success by shovelling a few spades at a time into a big
container full of water and then gently fishing out the moss with a
rake. But that's nowhere near 100% effective.

Ideas and what should I do next?

Leave it where it is? Whatever you do to remove it is likely to
damage the roofing surface. What harm is it doing?

Probably not a lot until it freezes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 7 February 2021 at 11:45:55 UTC, fred wrote:
[...]

The chippings are there to reflect sun not removing the moss means they are less reflective and inefficient. Our last house had a built up felt roof which needed a partial repair at one time, the roofers stripped all the chippings off and washed down the sound part of the roof with biological washing powder solution. When the repair was complete they simply poured new chippings on this lasted for years without mossing despite being under my neighbours trees.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
Over the past year or so quite a lot of moss has grown on my garage
roof. It is pretty much a very big sponge.

I've had some success by shovelling a few spades at a time into a big
container full of water and then gently fishing out the moss with a
rake. But that's nowhere near 100% effective.

Ideas and what should I do next?

Weedkiller?

--
*If I throw a stick, will you leave?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:
Over the past year or so quite a lot of moss has grown on my garage
roof. It is pretty much a very big sponge.

I've had some success by shovelling a few spades at a time into a big
container full of water and then gently fishing out the moss with a
rake. But that's nowhere near 100% effective.

Ideas and what should I do next?

Leave it where it is? Whatever you do to remove it is likely to
damage the roofing surface. What harm is it doing?

Probably not a lot until it freezes

If the roof is porous and it freezes then it's going to get damaged,
if the roof isn't porous then it doesn't really matter if what's on
top freezes.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 7 Feb 2021 03:42:33 -0800 (PST), fred
wrote:

On Sunday, February 7, 2021 at 10:35:55 AM UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
Over the past year or so quite a lot of moss has grown on my garage=20
roof. It is pretty much a very big sponge.=20
=20
I've had some success by shovelling a few spades at a time into a big=20
container full of water and then gently fishing out the moss with a=20
rake. But that's nowhere near 100% effective.=20
=20
Ideas and what should I do next?=20
=20
--=20
AnthonyL=20
=20
[...]

Are either safe for wildlife, eg birds, squirrels?

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2021 10:35, AnthonyL wrote:
Over the past year or so quite a lot of moss has grown on my garage
roof. It is pretty much a very big sponge.

I've had some success by shovelling a few spades at a time into a big
container full of water and then gently fishing out the moss with a
rake. But that's nowhere near 100% effective.

Ideas and what should I do next?

Buy a big bag of ferrous sulphate from a garden centre or
agricultural dealer. if you have a concrete apron and the
roof discharges onto it, it will stain it though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I would have thought the insulation properties of moss would be far
better than chippings. Some systems suggest you don't use chippings as
they can damage the membrane when waling on the roof, plus birds have a
habit of moving them.

Our last house had a built up felt roof which needed a partial repair
at one time, the roofers stripped all the chippings off and washed
down the sound part of the roof with biological washing powder
solution. When the repair was complete they simply poured new
chippings on this lasted for years without mossing despite being
under my neighbours trees.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Couldn't give a toss.

Why does every thing have to hark back to wild life ?

We have a local Sparrow Hawk who keeps the pigeons under control.
Jackdaws who clean up after him
Cat which keeps rats in their place
And we let the vicious squirrel have the beech nuts in the hedge

how to build a wooden frame for a felted apex roof to put over my leaking concrete flat-roof usenet2012 UK diy 10 February 28th 13 06:54 AM
Temporary repair for felted flat roof leakage? The Night Tripper[_3_] UK diy 20 December 22nd 12 09:37 AM
Flat Felted Roof N. Thornton UK diy 0 January 7th 05 02:06 AM
Flat Felted Roof Strike3 UK diy 1 January 6th 05 08:09 PM
Flat felted roof SJ UK diy 6 January 4th 04 09:20 PM