Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Temporary repair for felted flat roof leakage?

Hi All
we have a large-ish front porch which has a felted flat roof. Somthing
needs repair... in the recent downpours we are getting water coming into the
porch.

It seems to be coming in at the corner of the porch ceiling and the house
wall.

I am resigned to getting a new roof fitted in due course (if its anything
like other additions to this house it will have been fairly badly done
originally), but I ain't gonna get around to anything substantive for a few
weeks.

I don't want the tiled floor or other parts of the construction to suffer -
can the team suggest something I might try to minimise leakage as a
temporary measure until I get a round tuit in the New Year?

Thanks
J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, December 21, 2012 12:45:05 AM UTC, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All

we have a large-ish front porch which has a felted flat roof. Somthing

needs repair... in the recent downpours we are getting water coming into the

porch.

It seems to be coming in at the corner of the porch ceiling and the house

wall.

I am resigned to getting a new roof fitted in due course (if its anything

like other additions to this house it will have been fairly badly done

originally), but I ain't gonna get around to anything substantive for a few

weeks.

I don't want the tiled floor or other parts of the construction to suffer -

can the team suggest something I might try to minimise leakage as a

temporary measure until I get a round tuit in the New Year?

Thanks

J^n

Bitumen (in solvent) and a piece of roofing felt. Or just bitumen, any cloth, and more bitumen

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 21 December 2012 00:45:05 UTC, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All

we have a large-ish front porch which has a felted flat roof. Somthing

needs repair... in the recent downpours we are getting water coming into the

porch.

It seems to be coming in at the corner of the porch ceiling and the house

wall.

I am resigned to getting a new roof fitted in due course (if its anything

like other additions to this house it will have been fairly badly done

originally), but I ain't gonna get around to anything substantive for a few

weeks.

I don't want the tiled floor or other parts of the construction to suffer -

can the team suggest something I might try to minimise leakage as a

temporary measure until I get a round tuit in the New Year?

Thanks

J^n

From your description, it sounds as if the flashing -- the few inches of felt that bend up the wall -- has cracked or peeled off. So cover it with flashing tape: Think grown-up sellotape where the tape is metal foil or metallic-looking plastic and the sticky stuff is bitumen or similar. Rub it well down with a wodge of rags. In this weather, warming it a bit might be a good idea. It works very well, and with luck you can leave off the tuit hunt for several years.

If you see any actual holes in the felt, you can use the same stuff like a band-aid.

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

it has to have been dry for while before you try this though as I know to my
cost with a shed a few years back.

Brian

--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as
wrote in message
[...]

From your description, it sounds as if the flashing -- the few inches of
felt that bend up the wall -- has cracked or peeled off. So cover it with
flashing tape: Think grown-up sellotape where the tape is metal foil or
metallic-looking plastic and the sticky stuff is bitumen or similar. Rub it
well down with a wodge of rags. In this weather, warming it a bit might be a
good idea. It works very well, and with luck you can leave off the tuit hunt
for several years.

If you see any actual holes in the felt, you can use the same stuff like a
band-aid.

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 21, 12:45*am, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All
* * we have a large-ish front porch which has a felted flat roof. Somthing
needs repair... in the recent downpours we are getting water coming into the
porch.

It seems to be coming in at the corner of the porch ceiling and the house
wall.

I am resigned to getting a new roof fitted in due course (if its anything
like other additions to this house it will have been fairly badly done
originally), but I ain't gonna get around to anything substantive for a few
weeks.

I don't want the tiled floor or other parts of the construction to suffer -
can the team suggest something I might try to minimise leakage as a
temporary measure until I get a round tuit in the New Year?

* * Thanks
* * J^n

You can buy cans of jollop specially for the purpose.
Some of them can be applied even in puddles/under water and still
sticks.
Expensive though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2012 08:46, harry wrote:
[...]

Why would a laxative help? Maybe Stixall - at a bit over a fiver a
cartridge?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2012 06:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
it has to have been dry for while before you try this though as I know to my
cost with a shed a few years back.

A blow torch will dry the area and warm it, which helps with adhesion.
Just make sure the flame doesn't go down any gaps and set fire to
something inside the roof.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

A lot cheaper than a new roof.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nightjar
writes
On 21/12/2012 06:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
it has to have been dry for while before you try this though as I know to my
cost with a shed a few years back.

A blow torch will dry the area and warm it, which helps with adhesion.
Just make sure the flame doesn't go down any gaps and set fire to
something inside the roof.

Hot air blower or even the wife's hair drier might be safer....

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2012 09:27, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Nightjar
writes
On 21/12/2012 06:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
it has to have been dry for while before you try this though as I
know to my
cost with a shed a few years back.

A blow torch will dry the area and warm it, which helps with adhesion.
Just make sure the flame doesn't go down any gaps and set fire to
something inside the roof.

Hot air blower or even the wife's hair drier might be safer....

I've usually found hot air blowers to be fairly useless out of doors.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-12-21, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi All
we have a large-ish front porch which has a felted flat roof. Somthing
needs repair... in the recent downpours we are getting water coming into the
porch.

It seems to be coming in at the corner of the porch ceiling and the house
wall.

I am resigned to getting a new roof fitted in due course (if its anything
like other additions to this house it will have been fairly badly done
originally), but I ain't gonna get around to anything substantive for a few
weeks.

I don't want the tiled floor or other parts of the construction to suffer -
can the team suggest something I might try to minimise leakage as a
temporary measure until I get a round tuit in the New Year?

Wickes sell tins of 'trowel on' emergency bitumen mastic roof repair. Works
a treat, although you may have to sit it in a bucket of hot water for a while
at this time of year before using it.

This stuff is good - if a little expensive for large areas

http://www.screwfix.com/p/flexacryl-...lack-1kg/57518

Chris K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nightjar
writes
On 21/12/2012 09:27, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Nightjar
writes
On 21/12/2012 06:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
it has to have been dry for while before you try this though as I
know to my
cost with a shed a few years back.

A blow torch will dry the area and warm it, which helps with adhesion.
Just make sure the flame doesn't go down any gaps and set fire to
something inside the roof.

Hot air blower or even the wife's hair drier might be safer....

I've usually found hot air blowers to be fairly useless out of doors.

Helps if there is no wind:-)

Mine is reckoned to push out 1kW so soon blisters paint.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2012 11:43, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Nightjar
writes
On 21/12/2012 09:27, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Nightjar
writes
On 21/12/2012 06:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
it has to have been dry for while before you try this though as I
know to my
cost with a shed a few years back.

A blow torch will dry the area and warm it, which helps with adhesion.
Just make sure the flame doesn't go down any gaps and set fire to
something inside the roof.

Hot air blower or even the wife's hair drier might be safer....

I've usually found hot air blowers to be fairly useless out of doors.

Helps if there is no wind:-)

Mine is reckoned to push out 1kW so soon blisters paint.

My 50mm gas burner is rated at 86kW :-)

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 09:27:09 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

Hot air blower or even the wife's hair drier might be safer....

+1

The description does indicate a flashing problem rather than flat roof. A
few piccies would be useful. Also where the wet shows inside can be a
considerable distance from where it is getting in...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:
[snip]

Wickes sell tins of 'trowel on' emergency bitumen mastic roof repair. Works
a treat, although you may have to sit it in a bucket of hot water for a while
at this time of year before using it.

It would have to be a large bucket.

--
€˘DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi All
thanks a lot for the useful suggestions. I wasn't sure how much of a
bodge Flashband was supposed to be, nor how functional.

I am now armed with some flashband and primer-type sticky stuff. When it
stops p*ssing down for more than a few minutes I will have a go at drying
things off and applying all of this.

I've also spotted that the gutter above needs cleaning, despite me doing it
only six months or so ago. That won't help matters...

Thanks again
Jon N

Temporary roof repair butwhat Home Repair 1 January 6th 07 10:41 PM
Temporary Conservatory Roof Repair Windy Miller UK diy 0 October 15th 05 11:26 AM
Flat Felted Roof N. Thornton UK diy 0 January 7th 05 02:06 AM
Flat Felted Roof Strike3 UK diy 1 January 6th 05 08:09 PM
Flat felted roof SJ UK diy 6 January 4th 04 09:20 PM