SJ

Default Flat felted roof

Hi all,
I have just finished building my 14ft x 10ft shed it has a double
layer felt roof but i still get water comeing in and i have looked for
a gap in the felt but can not see where its coming from, it has a
8inch slope on it, so instead of refelting would it be possible to
cover the roof in hot bitumen? As this might be the cheaper option as
a burner from hss is only £15 any ideas how much the bitumen is ? as i
notice BQ do a aquaseal roof repair 5 litres for £15, ideas or
suggestions please.

Steve
Lee Blaver

SJ wrote:

Hi all,
I have just finished building my 14ft x 10ft shed it has a double
layer felt roof but i still get water comeing in and i have looked for
a gap in the felt but can not see where its coming from, it has a
8inch slope on it, so instead of refelting would it be possible to
cover the roof in hot bitumen? As this might be the cheaper option as
a burner from hss is only £15 any ideas how much the bitumen is ? as i
notice BQ do a aquaseal roof repair 5 litres for £15, ideas or
suggestions please.

Steve

What sort of quality is the felt?
Some of the "shed" quality felt I've seen is so porous as to be
virtually worthless.

Our shed has torch-on felt, why I don't know - it was like it when we
bought the place, but it has never leaked in the last 9 years.
Unlike the main house roof, which has ;(

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com

Dave Liquorice

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 14:34:19 +0000, SJ wrote:

I have just finished building my 14ft x 10ft shed ...

snip
... it has a 8inch slope on it, ...

Doesn't sound like much of fall for that area, basically flat.
Capillary action is probably drawing water between the layers.

Don't get any water through the shed roof I did a couple of years
back. But it is a "traditional" 6x8 shed with a proper pitched roof.
Single layer of bog standard Marely "Shed Roof Felt", all exposed
edges clout nailed at 2" intervals. Withstood the F9 Severe Gale,
gusting to the mid 50's mph no problem, it's survived other gales as
well.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

PoP

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 14:34:19 +0000, SJ wrote:

I have just finished building my 14ft x 10ft shed it has a double
layer felt roof but i still get water comeing in and i have looked for
a gap in the felt but can not see where its coming from, it has a
8inch slope on it, so instead of refelting would it be possible to
cover the roof in hot bitumen? As this might be the cheaper option as
a burner from hss is only £15 any ideas how much the bitumen is ? as i
notice BQ do a aquaseal roof repair 5 litres for £15, ideas or
suggestions please.

Whilst I don't have experience of the material used for roofing
purposes I wonder if glass fibre might be a better option?

http://www.cyb-glassfibre.co.uk/glas...f_building.htm

Felt roofs have always proved troublesome in my experience. If I had
to do another flat roof project I'd certainly consider glass fibre as
an option.

PoP

Replying to the email address given by my news reader
will result in your own email address being instantly
added to my anti-spam database! If you really want to
contact me try changing the prefix in the given email
address to my newsgroup posting name.....
BigWallop

"SJ" wrote in message ...
Hi all,
I have just finished building my 14ft x 10ft shed it has a double
layer felt roof but i still get water comeing in and i have looked for
a gap in the felt but can not see where its coming from, it has a
8inch slope on it, so instead of refelting would it be possible to
cover the roof in hot bitumen? As this might be the cheaper option as
a burner from hss is only £15 any ideas how much the bitumen is ? as i
notice BQ do a aquaseal roof repair 5 litres for £15, ideas or
suggestions please.

Steve

Is it water from outside, or is it condensation building up inside the roof space ?

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

SJ

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 23:46:20 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

Is it water from outside, or is it condensation building up inside the roof space ?

Definately water from outside, sorry the fall on the roof is 14inch
not as prev stated

BigWallop

wrote:

Is it water from outside, or is it condensation building up inside the roof space ?

Definately water from outside, sorry the fall on the roof is 14inch
not as prev stated

If you can't see any obvious holes, then the most next likely cause is capillary action through one of the
seams in the felt. Paint some liquid bitumen along the seams and it should help.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Flat Roof & Adding Value MrHappyChap UK diy 6 November 3rd 03 09:57 AM
Flat Roof Side Window Gary Holt UK diy 1 October 6th 03 07:49 PM
Cage for drain in the middle of a flat roof Chris UK diy 5 August 23rd 03 08:17 PM
flat felt roof puddling Andrew McKay UK diy 2 July 21st 03 08:25 PM
flat roof - slope for run off duncan UK diy 3 July 13th 03 02:55 PM