Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default Felted flat roof, moss and chippings

On Sunday, February 7, 2021 at 11:41:22 AM UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 07/02/2021 10:35, AnthonyL wrote:
Over the past year or so quite a lot of moss has grown on my garage
roof. It is pretty much a very big sponge.

I've had some success by shovelling a few spades at a time into a big
container full of water and then gently fishing out the moss with a
rake. But that's nowhere near 100% effective.

Ideas and what should I do nex

The idea of chippings was, IIRC, to increase the surface area to aid
evaporation. Moss, however, has other ideas.

Would grass seeds grow on top? Seen swanky "green" roofs on property
programmes.

-&-

We put a new flat roof in bitumen without the chippings, and laid
aluminium paint on top, er, to avoid it melting in the sun.

So now my particular problem has gone the other way ....

--
Adrian C

I though the chippings were to ease the drainage and stop rain pooling on the roof ?