Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pigs in Blankets

For a few years I have bought trays of 12 frozen 'pigs in blankets',
they have been OK as an accompaniment to a cooked meal. They claim to
be pork with a bacon wrap and the sausage has always been a pale colour
as is normal with pork.

The latest pack has been not so good, horrible, mushy sausage and much
darker like beef. Am I correct, in that beef would be much darker in
colour?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2021 19:18, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
For a few years I have bought trays of 12 frozen 'pigs in blankets',
they have been OK as an accompaniment to a cooked meal. They claim to be
pork with a bacon wrap and the sausage has always been a pale colour as
is normal with pork.

The latest pack has been not so good, horrible, mushy sausage and much
darker like beef. Am I correct, in that beef would be much darker in
colour?

not as dark as soylent green

--
€œA leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
€œWe did this ourselves.€

ۥ Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2021 19:18, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
For a few years I have bought trays of 12 frozen 'pigs in blankets',
they have been OK as an accompaniment to a cooked meal. They claim to be
pork with a bacon wrap and the sausage has always been a pale colour as
is normal with pork.

The latest pack has been not so good, horrible, mushy sausage and much
darker like beef. Am I correct, in that beef would be much darker in
colour?

Probably still loosly termed pork, maybe a cut closer to its a-hole?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2021 19:18, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
For a few years I have bought trays of 12 frozen 'pigs in blankets',
they have been OK as an accompaniment to a cooked meal. They claim to be
pork with a bacon wrap and the sausage has always been a pale colour as
is normal with pork.

The latest pack has been not so good, horrible, mushy sausage and much
darker like beef. Am I correct, in that beef would be much darker in
colour?

I used to really like pigs in blankets. I now find sausage that
accompanies the bacon to be so bland I tend to avoid them.

It is also difficult to cook the sausage to an acceptable skin colour
because of the insulation from the bacon.

The current thought is a grey sausage is a bad one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Fredxx wrote :
It is also difficult to cook the sausage to an acceptable skin colour because
of the insulation from the bacon.

The current thought is a grey sausage is a bad one.

I have made a complaint to the manufacturer now and received an almost
immediate response.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
After serious thinking Fredxx wrote :
It is also difficult to cook the sausage to an acceptable skin colour because
of the insulation from the bacon.

The current thought is a grey sausage is a bad one.

I have made a complaint to the manufacturer now and received an almost
immediate response.

You mean the pig? :-)

--
Chris Green
Β·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote in news:rvc8hl$td5$1
@dont-email.me:

For a few years I have bought trays of 12 frozen 'pigs in blankets',
they have been OK as an accompaniment to a cooked meal. They claim to
be pork with a bacon wrap and the sausage has always been a pale colour
as is normal with pork.

I've always made my own, long chipolatas of known quality twisted in the
middle and snipped to make short then each wrapped in a half rasher of
smoked streaky stretched thin with the back of a cook's knife.

Freeze either raw or cooked, my choice grill on skewers then freeze.

The trouble with ready made PiBs is that they'll make them to a price, use
the crappest sausage they can get away with then charge a premium for the
manual labour.

The latest pack has been not so good, horrible, mushy sausage and much
darker like beef. Am I correct, in that beef would be much darker in
colour?

My experience of beef sausages is that they are more red but that's more
likely colouring than anything else.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2021 22:18, Peter Burke wrote:
half rasher of
smoked streaky stretched thin with the back of a cook's knife.

.... that's new to me, can you explain?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2021 21:40, Chris Green wrote:
Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
After serious thinking Fredxx wrote :
It is also difficult to cook the sausage to an acceptable skin colour because
of the insulation from the bacon.

The current thought is a grey sausage is a bad one.

I have made a complaint to the manufacturer now and received an almost
immediate response.

You mean the pig? :-)

Obviously must be cold due to non-payment of the gas bill for pigs to be
in blankets.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 2 February 2021 at 22:18:29 UTC, Peter Burke wrote:
[...]

Other than in an "emergency", I can't imagine buying ready-made Ps-in-Bs.

I have sometimes using a rolling pin to thin the streaky bacon.

For speed and simplicity, you can get away with rolling a whole chipolata in a rasher. Then cutting into two or three. If packed reasonably tightly they will stay together.

I also now use a baking paper to line the tin. Means you don't lose so much browned matter stuck to the tin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I like a really good sausage. Unfortunately the things in Pigs in Blankets
are always very mediocre
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
After serious thinking Fredxx wrote :
It is also difficult to cook the sausage to an acceptable skin colour because
of the insulation from the bacon.

The current thought is a grey sausage is a bad one.

I have made a complaint to the manufacturer now and received an almost
immediate response.

You mean the pig? :-)

Yup, I do sometimes feel I have to praise the mother of the animal that
I have just scoffed....

Time to go to YouTube, and lookup
chicken processing factory video
pork processing factory video
beef processing factory video
lamb processing factory video

and thank the machines.

Just have your breakfast finished with first ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote in
:

For speed and simplicity, you can get away with rolling a whole
chipolata in a rasher. Then cutting into two or three. If packed
reasonably tightly they will stay together.

Try the pinch, twist & snip then you'll never have an open end.

I also now use a baking paper to line the tin. Means you don't lose so
much browned matter stuck to the tin.

Stopped using the oven and tray a while back, grilled on skewers is my
thing now, cooks more quickly, all done in advance then warmed thro on the
day.

Skewers are the dual pronged ones that either Lidl or Adli do every now and
again, perfect for cooking stuff that needs to be turned but might spin on
a single skewer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 03/02/2021 13:25, Peter Burke wrote:
wrote in :

On 02/02/2021 22:18, Peter Burke wrote:
half rasher of
smoked streaky stretched thin with the back of a cook's knife.
... that's new to me, can you explain?

Ok, the streaky is normally too thick to roll nicely so needs thinned.

Packs normally are rasher pairs side by side, separate the two and then
cut
a single rasher to half length.

On a chopping board hold the half single at one end and with the back of
decent sized cooks knife run it along the length of the rasher with the
sharp part of blade angled slightly forward in the direction of travel.
The
rasher will end up longer and thinner.

Judge the required pressure by the result, no result = too little,
disintegration = too much. If in doubt, use several strokes? to get the
desired result.

Some will still become a bit bitty but it's rare to get a total fail that
can't be used as a wrap.

I find the thinned/lengthened half rashers to be a good balance in size &
length for a thin chipolata (been doing the family ones for quite a while
now) and I usually keep some back in the freezer for roast chicken.

On the sossies, good quality chipolatas are permanent stock items in
Lidl/Aldi so I get mine there. Full length so they need a couple of
twists
and a snip in the middle to separate.

I noticed this Christmas just gone that supermarkets were selling "Pigs in
Duvets" - little sausages wrapped in puff pastry. Yummy. Next year my wife
will probably make them from scratch, having got the idea, in the same way
that she makes her own pigs in blankets from thin chipolatas cut into 1"
lengths, wrapped in rashers of thinly-sliced bacon *with slices of date
inside*. The dates add a lovely flavour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/2021 12:32, JohnP wrote:
I like a really good sausage. Unfortunately the things in Pigs in Blankets
are always very mediocre

You need a butcher like ours - which, happily, is only 200 yds away.
They offer pigs in blankets, kebabs, stuffed turkey breasts, chicken
kievs, all sorts of burgers, sausages and other items and regularly win
awards for their sausages.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:

I noticed this Christmas just gone that supermarkets were selling "Pigs in
Duvets" - little sausages wrapped in puff pastry.

Isn't that just a Sausage Roll?

--
Chris Green
Β·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
After serious thinking Fredxx wrote :
It is also difficult to cook the sausage to an acceptable skin colour because
of the insulation from the bacon.

The current thought is a grey sausage is a bad one.

I have made a complaint to the manufacturer now and received an almost
immediate response.

You mean the pig? :-)

Yup, I do sometimes feel I have to praise the mother of the animal that
I have just scoffed....

Time to go to YouTube, and lookup
chicken processing factory video
pork processing factory video
beef processing factory video
lamb processing factory video

Or just something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvtVkNofcq8

(One of the videos people have watched and have said is what made them
'realise' and then gone vegan).

and thank the machines.

And this is how you treat the machines when they are worn out ...

https://ibb.co/Mp1TxpY

Just have your breakfast finished with first ...

I was talking to a good mate the other day and suggested he had a look
at some of the videos that show what goes on behind the scenes in the
whole 'live stock' world and he said he didn't want to because it
would upset him too much ... but wouldn't be able to stop eating meat
/ eggs or dairy etc (but he has cut back on meat and does to a vegan
restaurant sometimes etc).

I wonder what the difference is between people who, when reminded /
highlighted all the suffering (pollution / resources etc etc) actually
change their lifestyle and those who don't?

Is it that they (the latter) might have to actually get to 'know' some
of the creatures so see just how similar to them they were in their
emotions, the wants and needs and how they deserve the right to live
out their lives ... at least 'naturally' (whatever that works out to
be).

And that brings me back to my thought of having a 'meat eaters
licence', you have to personally observe the whole process when it
comes to the end [1] (for a chicken, cow, sheep, pig etc), before you
can buy some from the supermarket. The only point of that is to make
people aware of the consequences of their choices, like you would if
it was 'Fairtrade' or anything where people or animals might be
exploited (or not). If you demonstrate you are able to watch that and
still want to be part of that then so be it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1DcFmUrxUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnpISyu09B4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvjhdaWZ3hA

https://youtu.be/FM95_k9onEc

https://youtu.be/lSngJ-mGNoo

Cheers, T i m

[1] And it's not just how the trillions of animals die each year that
is the only problem, it's also how they live in many cases.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Feb 2021 08:20:22 +0000, S wrote:

snip

Obviously must be cold due to non-payment of the gas bill for pigs to be
in blankets.....

https://ibb.co/MMv0BZb

;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/2021 13:25, Peter Burke wrote:
On the sossies, good quality chipolatas are permanent stock items in
Lidl/Aldi so I get mine there. Full length so they need a couple of twists
and a snip in the middle to separate.

can highly recommend Waitrose Essentials as well. very meaty.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Feb 2021 19:18:12 +0000, Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:

For a few years I have bought trays of 12 frozen 'pigs in blankets',
they have been OK as an accompaniment to a cooked meal. They claim to be
pork with a bacon wrap and the sausage has always been a pale colour as
is normal with pork.

The latest pack has been not so good, horrible, mushy sausage and much
darker like beef. Am I correct, in that beef would be much darker in
colour?

I always make them at home.
Noting comments of others who also do this.

I now use full size sausages (local Co-op usually) which are over 90% pork.
Either two strips of streaky bacon or one strip of back bacon.
Again locally sourced from the Co-op.
No twisting or cutting down to reduce the size.

Use the back of the knife trick if the bacon slices need stretching. Some
do and some don't.

In a tray in the oven.
If I am feeling virtuous I line the baking tray with foil to cut down on
the washing up.

I haven't frozen any so far as the effort to make them is relatively minor.
I do have a load of raw sausages in the freezer, though.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in :

On 02/02/2021 22:18, Peter Burke wrote:
half rasher of
smoked streaky stretched thin with the back of a cook's knife.
... that's new to me, can you explain?

Ok, the streaky is normally too thick to roll nicely so needs thinned.

Packs normally are rasher pairs side by side, separate the two and
then cut
a single rasher to half length.

On a chopping board hold the half single at one end and with the back
of a
[...]

Isn't that actually a sausage roll in disguise? :-))

Next year my
wife will probably make them from scratch, having got the idea, in the
same way that she makes her own pigs in blankets from thin chipolatas
cut into 1" lengths, wrapped in rashers of thinly-sliced bacon *with
slices of date inside*. The dates add a lovely flavour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." wrote in message
For a few years I have bought trays of 12 frozen 'pigs in blankets', they
have been OK as an accompaniment to a cooked meal. They claim to be pork
with a bacon wrap and the sausage has always been a pale colour as is
normal with pork.

The latest pack has been not so good, horrible, mushy sausage and much
darker like beef. Am I correct, in that beef would be much darker in
colour?

Not all that much darker if its veal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
[...]

I was talking to a good mate

People like you dont have mates.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
[...]

I did think it was unlikely too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
[...]

I do hope you said he only had half a brain, remind us which side of the
brain do us meat eaters use?

I wonder what the difference is between people who, when reminded /
highlighted all the suffering (pollution / resources etc etc) actually
change their lifestyle and those who don't?

They perhaps choose to campaign to improve animal welfare standards.

Is it that they (the latter) might have to actually get to 'know' some
of the creatures so see just how similar to them they were in their
emotions, the wants and needs and how they deserve the right to live
out their lives ... at least 'naturally' (whatever that works out to
be).

You mean thick and stupid animals that act on instinct and a few learnt
signals? I can see why you think you are on an equal with them.

And that brings me back to my thought of having a 'meat eaters
licence', you have to personally observe the whole process when it
comes to the end [1] (for a chicken, cow, sheep, pig etc), before you
can buy some from the supermarket.

We should have a veggie license too, and only when they understand the
benefits of eating meat as part of a natural and balanced diet should
they be allowed to eat vegetables.

The only point of that is to make
people aware of the consequences of their choices, like you would if
it was 'Fairtrade' or anything where people or animals might be
exploited (or not). If you demonstrate you are able to watch that and
still want to be part of that then so be it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1DcFmUrxUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnpISyu09B4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvjhdaWZ3hA

https://youtu.be/FM95_k9onEc

https://youtu.be/lSngJ-mGNoo

Have you had a sufficient wank over these?

This is much better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAF35dekiAY

Cheers, T i m

[1] And it's not just how the trillions of animals die each year that
is the only problem, it's also how they live in many cases.

Then campaign to improve their welfare.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Feb 2021 10:28:44 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

Not all that much darker if its veal.

In auto-contradicting mode again, you abnormal trolling senile pest?

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
[...]

talking about yourself again brian ? ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Feb 2021 12:02:51 +0000, "Jimmy Stewart ..."
wrote:

snip

I was talking to a good mate

People like you don’t have mates.

talking about yourself again brian ? ....

Oh, is the nymshifting troll still here then?

I wonder how long it's going to try to carry on the 'I'm not Brain
Ray' BS?

Fun to see the whole guilt thing he's suffering re his causing
suffering and killing animals to eat and use is though.

From memory I know how uncomfortable such logical inconsistency can
be. ;-(

Probably why he had that breakdown and he started thinking he was
someone else! ;-)

Cheers, T i m