Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Default Car key fob.

One of my remote (Jaguar) key fobs was intermittent and then stopped
altogether. I tried bending the battery contacts, but to no avail. The
least cost option I could find was to send the whole unit to these guys

https://www.automobilelocksmith.co.uk/

With same date recorded postage it ended up at nearly £70. Marshall's
Cambridge wanted £140 + to even LOOK at it.

I sent it Friday pm. It came back today. It works. What more can I say.

Book mark these guys if you have remote key fobs...

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.

Herbert Spencer
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 09:18:18 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

One of my remote (Jaguar) key fobs was intermittent and then stopped
altogether. I tried bending the battery contacts, but to no avail. The
least cost option I could find was to send the whole unit to these guys

https://www.automobilelocksmith.co.uk/

With same date recorded postage it ended up at nearly £70. Marshall's
Cambridge wanted £140 + to even LOOK at it.

I sent it Friday pm. It came back today. It works. What more can I say.

Book mark these guys if you have remote key fobs...

Timpson's did me a new (not repaired) Ford fob for around £20 a couple of
years back. OK, it wasn't a "genuine" Ford key but it looked and smelt the
same, and worked just as well as the original.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On 22/12/2020 09:31, Scion wrote:
On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 09:18:18 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

One of my remote (Jaguar) key fobs was intermittent and then stopped
altogether. I tried bending the battery contacts, but to no avail. The
least cost option I could find was to send the whole unit to these guys

https://www.automobilelocksmith.co.uk/

With same date recorded postage it ended up at nearly £70. Marshall's
Cambridge wanted £140 + to even LOOK at it.

I sent it Friday pm. It came back today. It works. What more can I say.

Book mark these guys if you have remote key fobs...

Timpson's did me a new (not repaired) Ford fob for around £20 a couple of
years back. OK, it wasn't a "genuine" Ford key but it looked and smelt the
same, and worked just as well as the original.

Thanks. That's another option I considered, but jaguar fobs are not
commonly duplicated, and are always more expensive and I wanted the
'correct' one. And it looks like everything that wears out has been
replaced.

Getting ANYTHING repaired these days is a nightmare. 15 years ago with
better eyesight and access to test gear I'd have done it myself, but I
simply cannot manage surface mount stuff, either in terms of arthritic
paws or eyesight

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
jon jon is offline

On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 09:48:39 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[...]

I bought a microscope to do that, luckily no arthritus (yet).
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In article ,
jon wrote:
[...]

Most common reason here for a remote to stop working (other than the
battery) is the switches. 'Tactile' types, and easily replaced. New cases
can be bought for most on Ebay.

But several offer to fix it.

--
*Therapy is expensive, poppin' bubble wrap is cheap! You choose.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Most common reason here for a remote to stop working (other than the
battery) is the switches. 'Tactile' types, and easily replaced. New cases
can be bought for most on Ebay.

+1

£10 to £25 for Jaguar clones on eBay. Never bought a Jag one but the
ones that I have for other cars have been indistinguishable to my eye.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In article ,
jon wrote:
[...]

Sadly the chance that ALL the switches would fail simultaneously, as
well as the ability to be recognised by the remote ignition switch was
so low that I did not consider it likely. It had already been recased.

One of the benefits of having a brain and a degree in electrical
engineering is that one can diagnose electrical faults using something a
shade better than guesswork.

But since both are terra incognita to you, Dave, you will have to take
that on trust.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2020 11:10, newshound wrote:

Most common reason here for a remote to stop working (other than the
battery) is the switches. 'Tactile' types, and easily replaced. New cases
can be bought for most on Ebay.

+1

£10 to £25 for Jaguar clones on eBay. Never bought a Jag one but the
ones that I have for other cars have been indistinguishable to my eye.

As I pointed out, that was not the problem. No power was getting to any
of it at all. It wouldn't even start the car by proximity..I tried
bending the battery connector which is a very common fault, but to no
avail. And the switches on this one are real micro switches.

Given fine tipped test probes, an RF detector, desoldering tool ,
illuminated magnifying setup and a smaller tipped soldering iron than I
have..I am sure that I could have fixed it. But the cost of all that
would have exceeded marshals most inflated quote.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
jon wrote:
[...]

Yes, I've done that with Citroen C5 and C6 ones, very simple.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 11:21:31 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[...]

Yes, but...new tools!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In uk.d-i-y "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Most common reason here for a remote to stop working (other than the
battery) is the switches. 'Tactile' types, and easily replaced. New cases
can be bought for most on Ebay.

Beyond the switch, the battery and the plastic case there's not much else to go
wrong. All of those parts are available (may have to fish around ebay or
Aliexpress for the case).

If you lose it, there may be a procedure to pair a used ebay fob with the
car, either via OBD or some other process (google 'toyota chicken dance').
DYOR.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

,
illuminated magnifying setup and a smaller tipped soldering iron

than
I have..I am sure that I could have fixed it. But the cost of all

that
would have exceeded marshals most inflated quote.

Yes, but...new tools!

And it's Christmas! RF detector - SDR USB dongle.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:

Most common reason here for a remote to stop working (other than the
battery) is the switches. 'Tactile' types, and easily replaced. New cases
can be bought for most on Ebay.

+1

10 to 25 for Jaguar clones on eBay. Never bought a Jag one but the
ones that I have for other cars have been indistinguishable to my eye.

If you loose a Porsche one, I'm told it's 400+ for a replacment. Of
course they don't actually make it - it comes from a supplier that does
lots of makes.
The main cost is likely labour in coding it. Which isn't usually needed
again with a broken one.

The case on mine was broken (push button cover). A new case looked
identical to the old one, and cost about 20 on Ebay. It came with a new
blank blade - but swapping the old one was easy.

--
*Certain frogs can be frozen solid, then thawed, and survive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What this does tend to show is most car remotes are rather badly made.
Nice little earner for the dealer.

--
*WHY IS IT CALLED TOURIST SEASON IF WE CAN'T SHOOT AT THEM?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 13:58:05 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

What this does tend to show is most car remotes are rather badly made.
Nice little earner for the dealer.

Is it true that dealers don't profit from the sale but the aftercare?

My mate's Volvo garage wanted £600 for a software update that merely
remapped the ECU to give a smidge extra power. He was dithering so I just
asked him how often he felt it necessary to put his foot to the floor. The
answer, "Never", saved him £600.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scion wrote:
On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 13:58:05 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

What this does tend to show is most car remotes are rather badly made.
Nice little earner for the dealer.

Is it true that dealers don't profit from the sale but the aftercare?

My mate's Volvo garage wanted 600 for a software update that merely
remapped the ECU to give a smidge extra power. He was dithering so I
just asked him how often he felt it necessary to put his foot to the
floor. The answer, "Never", saved him 600.

Wonder how many with blood still flowing never floor it?

--
*We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 15:15:27 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Scion wrote:
On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 13:58:05 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

What this does tend to show is most car remotes are rather badly
made.
Nice little earner for the dealer.

Is it true that dealers don't profit from the sale but the aftercare?

My mate's Volvo garage wanted £600 for a software update that merely
remapped the ECU to give a smidge extra power. He was dithering so I
just asked him how often he felt it necessary to put his foot to the
floor. The answer, "Never", saved him £600.

Wonder how many with blood still flowing never floor it?

Heh. He has an XC90, floor one of those and you'll barely make it to the
next petrol station :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2020 12:04, Scion wrote:
[...]

Well yes BUT I tend not to buy tools for once off usage.

--
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.

Dennis Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scion wrote:
On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 13:58:05 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

What this does tend to show is most car remotes are rather badly
made.
Nice little earner for the dealer.

Is it true that dealers don't profit from the sale but the aftercare?

My mate's Volvo garage wanted £600 for a software update that merely
remapped the ECU to give a smidge extra power. He was dithering so I
just asked him how often he felt it necessary to put his foot to the
floor. The answer, "Never", saved him £600.

Wonder how many with blood still flowing never floor it?

Heh. He has an XC90, floor one of those and you'll barely make it to the
next petrol station :-)

When I floored this one it went into limp home mode. Code was 'secondary
turbo inlet valve not closing'

Apparently the turbo valve gets sticky if you don't floor it now and again.

I've done it since and its been OK.

--
Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of an airplane.

Dennis Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 17:05:16 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 22/12/2020 12:04, Scion wrote:

Yes, but...new tools!

Well yes BUT I tend not to buy tools for once off usage.

When I had to break up an old shed base it was cheaper to buy a cheap,
heavy SDS and use it as a breaker than to hire a real one for a day.

I figured if it only lasted for the one job it saved me money.

The job probably took twice as long as it could have - but the SDS is
going strong 15 years later!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2020 17:21, Scion wrote:
On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 17:05:16 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 22/12/2020 12:04, Scion wrote:

Yes, but...new tools!

Well yes BUT I tend not to buy tools for once off usage.

When I had to break up an old shed base it was cheaper to buy a cheap,
heavy SDS and use it as a breaker than to hire a real one for a day.

I figured if it only lasted for the one job it saved me money.

The job probably took twice as long as it could have - but the SDS is
going strong 15 years later!

Well I agree with that, and have done that, but in this case it was
cheaper to send it away than buy the tools to do it.

OTOH I can buy a chain saw - and just did - for as much as it costs to
have a man and a chainsaw for a day...

7 trees this year have needed surgery...and there otr four more that are
trying to be trees and not a hedge

--
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight
and understanding".

Marshall McLuhan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2020 17:21, Scion wrote:
On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 17:05:16 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 22/12/2020 12:04, Scion wrote:

Yes, but...new tools!

Well yes BUT I tend not to buy tools for once off usage.

When I had to break up an old shed base it was cheaper to buy a cheap,
heavy SDS and use it as a breaker than to hire a real one for a day.

I figured if it only lasted for the one job it saved me money.

The job probably took twice as long as it could have - but the SDS is
going strong 15 years later!

A sledge hammer and some exercise would have been just as
effective. Just undermine one corner and give it a wack and
it will break, unless you have a shed with a base made of
6 inch C40 reinforced concrete. Then repeat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 19:00:59 +0000, Andrew wrote:

On 22/12/2020 17:21, Scion wrote:
On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 17:05:16 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 22/12/2020 12:04, Scion wrote:

Yes, but...new tools!

Well yes BUT I tend not to buy tools for once off usage.

When I had to break up an old shed base it was cheaper to buy a cheap,
heavy SDS and use it as a breaker than to hire a real one for a day.

I figured if it only lasted for the one job it saved me money.

The job probably took twice as long as it could have - but the SDS is
going strong 15 years later!

A sledge hammer and some exercise would have been just as effective.
Just undermine one corner and give it a wack and it will break, unless
you have a shed with a base made of 6 inch C40 reinforced concrete. Then
repeat.

ISTR starting with a lump hammer and cold chisel but it became clear early
on that I wasn't going to get very far.

And...new tools!