Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Car key fob.

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
jon wrote:
On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 09:48:39 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 22/12/2020 09:31, Scion wrote:
On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 09:18:18 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

One of my remote (Jaguar) key fobs was intermittent and then stopped
altogether. I tried bending the battery contacts, but to no avail. The
least cost option I could find was to send the whole unit to these
guys

https://www.automobilelocksmith.co.uk/

With same date recorded postage it ended up at nearly £70. Marshall's
Cambridge wanted £140 + to even LOOK at it.

I sent it Friday pm. It came back today. It works. What more can I
say.

Book mark these guys if you have remote key fobs...

Timpson's did me a new (not repaired) Ford fob for around £20 a couple
of years back. OK, it wasn't a "genuine" Ford key but it looked and
smelt the same, and worked just as well as the original.

Thanks. That's another option I considered, but jaguar fobs are not
commonly duplicated, and are always more expensive and I wanted the
'correct' one. And it looks like everything that wears out has been
replaced.

Getting ANYTHING repaired these days is a nightmare. 15 years ago with
better eyesight and access to test gear I'd have done it myself, but I
simply cannot manage surface mount stuff, either in terms of arthritic
paws or eyesight

I bought a microscope to do that, luckily no arthritus (yet).

Most common reason here for a remote to stop working (other than the
battery) is the switches. 'Tactile' types, and easily replaced. New cases
can be bought for most on Ebay.

Yes, I've done that with Citroen C5 and C6 ones, very simple.

--
Chris Green
·