Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wall wart interference

OK so I bought my usual wall warts from Amazon, the sort you plug usb
devices in to power them, Unlike usual though these little monsters kick out
an incredible amount of rfi on frequencies from long wave to almost 24mhz a
kind of grating sawtooth modulated by 50 hz.
You cannot get inside, but I'd suggest they have no suppression whatsoever.
They still work of course charge up phones power battery chargers and power
little gadgets.
So I wonder if Amazon would refund me for them?
This then leaves me with another issue, I need two or maybe three that do
not have this added feature of radio jammer under load. I have tested one
from Apple which came with my phone, (but are no longer supplied with
phones), and there is really no sign of interference, so it is possible.
I guess I could buy from Apple and hope their standards are still high, or
if anyone knows of a good source for non interfering ones I'm all ears.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

I wonder if Amazon would refund me for them?

I think amazon basically let you return anything, then they either send
it to landfill, or sell it on ias bulk loads of tat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

OK so I bought my usual wall warts from Amazon, the sort you plug usb
devices in to power them, Unlike usual though these little monsters kick
out an incredible amount of rfi on frequencies from long wave to almost
24mhz a kind of grating sawtooth modulated by 50 hz.
You cannot get inside, but I'd suggest they have no suppression
whatsoever. They still work of course charge up phones power battery
chargers and power little gadgets.

So I wonder if Amazon would refund me for them?

Are they an Amazon product or just from an Amazon reseller ?

Amazon can be pretty good about the stuff they have made themselves.

This then leaves me with another issue, I need two or maybe three that do
not have this added feature of radio jammer under load. I have tested one
from Apple which came with my phone, (but are no longer supplied with
phones), and there is really no sign of interference, so it is possible.
I guess I could buy from Apple and hope their standards are still high,

Apple does have a free return if you don’t like it, in 14 days with the
original packaging.

or if anyone knows of a good source for non interfering ones I'm all ears.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

I wonder if Amazon would refund me for them?

I think amazon basically let you return anything,

Not stuff sold for third party sellers.

then they either send it to landfill, or sell it on ias bulk loads of tat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 09:40:26 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I wonder if Amazon would refund me for them?

I think amazon basically let you return anything,

Not stuff sold for third party sellers.

In auto-contradicting mode again, you clinically insane senile idiot?

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 21:20:31 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

[...]

Might be worth winding the leads through a couple of ferrite rings if
you have any lying around, Brian. it will never be as good as proper
proprietory screeening and filtering, but you might reduce the spatter
to an acceptable degree of appalingness.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2020 21:20, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
[...]

worst I ever had was a genuine nokia

--
I like Aeroplane jelly ... It's Aeroplane jelly for me....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well I suspect that the makers are hoodwinking anyone who sells this model.
Its sealed so one cannot look inside and no doubt to make it cheaper the
high voltage capacitors used to tame the interference have been left out.
Bah humbug.

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

I wonder if Amazon would refund me for them?

I think amazon basically let you return anything, then they either send it
to landfill, or sell it on ias bulk loads of tat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well the point is that if it was fulfilled by another company, then they
have a different process, but all of these came in one parcel from Amazon.
I'm more interested in finding a good replacement. Of course the average
user would not even realise that this was an issue unless they used one to
power an am radio of some sort I guess.

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

I wonder if Amazon would refund me for them?

I think amazon basically let you return anything,

Not stuff sold for third party sellers.

then they either send it to landfill, or sell it on ias bulk loads of
tat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I already did the ferrite ring trick. Indeed I've never found this approach
to do very much good at all on noisy psus. I think the sheer wide bandwidth
is the issue. Sometimes you can get away with this for medium wave but not
much else. I was even thinking of perhaps getting a couple of those power
bank batteries as when not actually attached to a charger, they would or
should be completely clean and last for an age on the small loads of the
gizmos I want to power, but then the battery charger for aaa and aa cells
needs to take more current and its bonkers to charge one battery with
another!

wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

if asked just say you are rejecting them as not fit for purpose; if you
want to be precise mention non-compliance with the Electromagnetic
Compatibility Regulations

[...]

Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 09:35:28 -0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

I already did the ferrite ring trick. Indeed I've never found this
approach to do very much good at all on noisy psus. I think the sheer
wide bandwidth is the issue.

A decent LC filter might do it. Couple of fairly hefty (to handle the
current without too much voltage drop) toridal coils, one in each leg
with 0.1uF capacitors across the in and out. Fitted as close as
possible to the offending wart should at least stop the power lead
radiating crap.

I was even thinking of perhaps getting a couple of those power
bank batteries as when not actually attached to a charger, they would or
should be completely clean

Wouldn't like to bet on it. A Li cell is nominally 3.6V. 5 V power
banks use a DC-DC convertor to step up and regulate that 3.6 V to 5
(+/- 0.25 V).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote:
[...]

I've no idea about the interference.

But after a couple of bad expereinces with other USB wallwarts I stick to Anker
these days, as they seem a decent .

Of course another possibility is that the 'usual' one you bought were
knock-offs hence different pefroamnce?

But you should be abl to geta refund from Amazon ok. Even if purchased from a
third party seller due to the their A-Z gurantee thing, IME they tend to ide
with the buyer in complaints. We complained about a suitacase (one of a set)
that had a small but annoying fault. We complained to the seller to geta
replacment or whatever, but they never dealt with it satisfactorily. complained
to Amazon, and they refunded the purchase price, and we ened up with free
suitcases.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote in
:

Well I suspect that the makers are hoodwinking anyone who sells this
model. Its sealed so one cannot look inside and no doubt to make it
cheaper the high voltage capacitors used to tame the interference have
been left out. Bah humbug.
Brian

As most people would not be aware of the issue - would it be worth trying
to get a recommended wallwart - suggested by an Amateur Radio Group or
similar?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/12/2020 21:20, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

I guess I could buy from Apple and hope their standards are still high, or
if anyone knows of a good source for non interfering ones I'm all ears.

Poundland's USB charger at £2 might be worth a try. Despite the low
price Big Clive spoke very highly of it including commenting favourably
on the filtering when he did a teardown on YouTube. I appreciate you
won't be able to see the video Brian but you might pick up a few details
from the audio.

https://youtu.be/aS1pwoVdRh4

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2020 09:29, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Well the point is that if it was fulfilled by another company, then they
have a different process, but all of these came in one parcel from Amazon.
I'm more interested in finding a good replacement. Of course the average
user would not even realise that this was an issue unless they used one to
power an am radio of some sort I guess.
Brian

Even Sony are not immune from that aort of mistake. I have a world band
radio of theirs and it's official mains adapter generated enough
interference to jam it on certain more sensitive long distance SW bands.
A clamp on ferrite at each end of the cable made a big difference to it.

A wall wart from the likes or Rapid or RS will cost more but might be a
better bet if you care about RF interference. Ask radio hams for
recommended model numbers - they are not all created equal.

WOrst one I have seen in a long time was the DC supply for a friends BT
answerphone base station which was jamming all mobile phone signals.
This only became obvious when it was replaced and the mobile phone
signal magically improved at the instant power was removed.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2020 09:59, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Wouldn't like to bet on it. A Li cell is nominally 3.6V. 5 V power
banks use a DC-DC convertor to step up and regulate that 3.6 V to 5
(+/- 0.25 V).

the ones I use (to step *down* from 2+ cells) are used with sensitive
radio control receivers. They HAVE to be clean. And they are very cheap.
Google UBEC or SBEC.

--
Its easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain