Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mounting a mirror

The mirror is approx 400 x 700mm and is 6mm thick with edge bevels that
reduced this to 3mm.

It has no mounting holes and I don't want to drill any.

I can get mirror corner mounts but these are designed for 6+mm glass,
and conscious the mirror will rattle around in them.

Is there a better way?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
The mirror is approx 400 x 700mm and is 6mm thick with edge bevels that
reduced this to 3mm.

It has no mounting holes and I don't want to drill any.

I can get mirror corner mounts but these are designed for 6+mm glass, and
conscious the mirror will rattle around in them.

Is there a better way?

You can use double sided tape but you need to be careful
using it because it can be tricky moving the mirror later,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2020 17:12, Fredxx wrote:
The mirror is approx 400 x 700mm and is 6mm thick with edge bevels that
reduced this to 3mm.

It has no mounting holes and I don't want to drill any.

I can get mirror corner mounts but these are designed for 6+mm glass,
and conscious the mirror will rattle around in them.

Is there a better way?

Suitable thickness polyurethane foam behind to pack the mirror out
slightly and make it secure?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2020 17:38, newshound wrote:
On 14/12/2020 17:12, Fredxx wrote:
The mirror is approx 400 x 700mm and is 6mm thick with edge bevels
that reduced this to 3mm.

It has no mounting holes and I don't want to drill any.

I can get mirror corner mounts but these are designed for 6+mm glass,
and conscious the mirror will rattle around in them.

Is there a better way?

Suitable thickness polyurethane foam behind to pack the mirror out
slightly and make it secure?

Mirror glue works amazingly well

https://www.screwfix.com/p/geocel-tr...te-310ml/95057

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2020 17:12, Fredxx wrote:
The mirror is approx 400 x 700mm and is 6mm thick with edge bevels that
reduced this to 3mm.

It has no mounting holes and I don't want to drill any.

I can get mirror corner mounts but these are designed for 6+mm glass,
and conscious the mirror will rattle around in them.

Is there a better way?

Place a piece of hardboard behind the mirror to make it thicker than
6mm. at the edges (and to keep it flat to the mounting wall

Place a bit of cardboard behind the corners of the mirror so that it is
a tight fit in the fixings. Stick some foam pads behind the corners of
the mirror so that it is a tight fit in the fixings.

Take a hammer to the fixings to make any grooves 3mm.

Put some clear silicone in the fixings before inserting the mirror.
Put some blutack in the fixings to stop the mirror rattling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pad the mirror from underneath, and add some around it to support it.
I'm sure I saw some kind of rubber similar to the sort that they use for
beading on windows and doors that had adhesive on one side for this sort of
thing. I guess its the only game in town if your wall hads a bow in the
middle like mine has.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Fredxx" wrote in message
The mirror is approx 400 x 700mm and is 6mm thick with edge bevels that
reduced this to 3mm.

It has no mounting holes and I don't want to drill any.

I can get mirror corner mounts but these are designed for 6+mm glass, and
conscious the mirror will rattle around in them.

Is there a better way?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2020 17:12:09, Fredxx wrote:
The mirror is approx 400 x 700mm and is 6mm thick with edge bevels that
reduced this to 3mm.

It has no mounting holes and I don't want to drill any.

I can get mirror corner mounts but these are designed for 6+mm glass,
and conscious the mirror will rattle around in them.

Is there a better way?

Thanks for the ideas. I suppose I was initially reluctant to use glue
from the permanence and potential damage to the wall and mirror on its
removal.

I felt there is an issue is with the bevel and a potential point contact
with the corner bracket and hoped there would be an alternative method
of mounting.

I found these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chrome-Wide.../dp/B000KZPBNG

But while they might do the job they are rather expensive, and they look
designed for a faster bevel than the mirror I have.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2020 20:09:01, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Pad the mirror from underneath, and add some around it to support it.
I'm sure I saw some kind of rubber similar to the sort that they use for
beading on windows and doors that had adhesive on one side for this sort of
thing. I guess its the only game in town if your wall hads a bow in the
middle like mine has.
Brian

Thanks for the idea.

I like the idea of the mirror sitting on the wall without a gap behind,
so it can take some pressure without deflection.

In the end I got these and home they can cope with the bevel without too
much too much fettling:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mirror-Brac.../dp/B08G87KNSR
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx Wrote in message:
The mirror is approx 400 x 700mm and is 6mm thick with edge bevels that reduced this to 3mm.It has no mounting holes and I don't want to drill any.I can get mirror corner mounts but these are designed for 6+mm glass, and conscious the mirror will rattle around in them.Is there a better way?

I've used these which work well as the brackets have positive
engagement and keep the mirror close and parallel to the
wall

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hanging-Acr...Dibond-Self-Ad
hesive/dp/B084Q5GQ74/ref=pd_sbs_60_1/262-6488431-6281005?_encoding
=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B084Q5GQ74&pd_rd_r=8aa3b94e-0d78-4a09-87ee-7de347266
513&pd_rd_w=SLhw3&pd_rd_wg=FCXz7&pf_rd_p=2304238d-df78-4b25-a9a0-b
27dc7bd722e&pf_rd_r=JBRTF2JKD8RBW0PESGA6&psc=1&ref RID=JBRTF2JKD8RB
W0PESGA6

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2020 21:51:03, thescullster wrote:
Fredxx Wrote in message:
The mirror is approx 400 x 700mm and is 6mm thick with edge bevels that
reduced this to 3mm.It has no mounting holes and I don't want to drill
any.I can get mirror corner mounts but these are designed for 6+mm glass,
and conscious the mirror will rattle around in them.Is there a better way?

I've used these which work well as the brackets have positive
engagement and keep the mirror close and parallel to the
wall

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hanging-Acr...Dibond-Self-Ad
hesive/dp/B084Q5GQ74/ref=pd_sbs_60_1/262-6488431-6281005?_encoding
=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B084Q5GQ74&pd_rd_r=8aa3b94e-0d78-4a09-87ee-7de347266
513&pd_rd_w=SLhw3&pd_rd_wg=FCXz7&pf_rd_p=2304238d-df78-4b25-a9a0-b
27dc7bd722e&pf_rd_r=JBRTF2JKD8RBW0PESGA6&psc=1&ref RID=JBRTF2JKD8RB
W0PESGA6

Many thanks.

I have just purchased alternative brackets that hold the mirror directly
against the wall but will save these details if they don't work out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx Wrote in message:
The mirror is approx 400 x 700mm and is 6mm thick with edge bevels
that reduced this to 3mm.It has no mounting holes and I don't want to
drill any.I can get mirror corner mounts but these are designed for
6+mm glass, and conscious the mirror will rattle around in them.Is
there a better way?

I've used these which work well as the brackets have positive
Â* engagement and keep the mirror close and parallel to the
Â* wall

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hanging-Acr...Dibond-Self-Ad
hesive/dp/B084Q5GQ74/ref=pd_sbs_60_1/262-6488431-6281005?_encoding
=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B084Q5GQ74&pd_rd_r=8aa3b94e-0d78-4a09-87ee-7de347266
513&pd_rd_w=SLhw3&pd_rd_wg=FCXz7&pf_rd_p=2304238d-df78-4b25-a9a0-b
27dc7bd722e&pf_rd_r=JBRTF2JKD8RBW0PESGA6&psc=1&ref RID=JBRTF2JKD8RB
W0PESGA6

Many thanks.

I have just purchased alternative brackets that hold the mirror directly
against the wall but will save these details if they don't work out.

I've just realized that Fredx must have killfiled me so my suggestion of
glue, which is THE simple way to do this, has gone completely by him...
Karma.

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx Wrote in message:
[...]

You're not in my killfile. You gave me the idea which I very much
appreciated but as I said I felt it would damage the mirror and wall if
I ever wanted to (re)move it. Otherwise it would have been an ideal
solution.

Many thanks for the idea, but I went for a demountable solution, where
after removal all I would have to do is fill 4 small holes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx Wrote in message:
[...]

Another option is to cut 4 wooden discs & cut out enough room for the mirror corners to go into them. Paint.

NT