Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wifi strangeness

Tested by Tim, wifi signal adequate throughout kitchen/dining area.

Internet radio works OK although there have been a few outages which
seemed to coincide with Openreach installing some additional cabling
nearby.

Ancient i phone will not connect saying the Wi-Fi password key is
incorrect. Router 12 months or so from installation, not running hot or
any other symptoms. Hardwired connection to desktop OK.

Any ideas?
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Dec 2020 20:54:25 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

Ancient i phone will not connect saying the Wi-Fi password key is
incorrect.

Tell iPhone to forget the relevant network. Let it find the network
again and try connecting again entering password etc.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2020 20:54, Tim Lamb wrote:
Tested by Tim, wifi signal adequate throughout kitchen/dining area.

Internet radio works OK although there have been a few outages which
seemed to coincide with Openreach installing some additional cabling
nearby.

Ancient i phone will not connect saying the Wi-Fi password key is
incorrect. Router 12 months or so from installation, not running hot or
any other symptoms. Hardwired connection to desktop OK.

Any ideas?

Are you _absolutely certain_ you've type the key in correctly? Any funny
characters like £#$ in it that the iPhone might be getting wrong? Mixed
up O0?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/12/2020 20:54, Tim Lamb wrote:
Tested by Tim, wifi signal adequate throughout kitchen/dining area.

Internet radio works OK although there have been a few outages which
seemed to coincide with Openreach installing some additional cabling
nearby.

Ancient i phone will not connect saying the Wi-Fi password key is
incorrect. Router 12 months or so from installation, not running hot or
any other symptoms. Hardwired connection to desktop OK.

Any ideas?

Which frequency are you testing? Which is the iphone using?

On some routers, you can split them, with different passwords etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2020 20:54, Tim Lamb wrote:
Tested by Tim, wifi signal adequate throughout kitchen/dining area.

Internet radio works OK although there have been a few outages which
seemed to coincide with Openreach installing some additional cabling
nearby.

Ancient i phone will not connect saying the Wi-Fi password key is
incorrect. Router 12 months or so from installation, not running hot or
any other symptoms. Hardwired connection to desktop OK.

Any ideas?

Has it ever connected in the past.

iThingys can be very fussy about what Wifi shipsets they will talk to.

Once every six months my network decides it won't talk to iPhones etc.

Power cycling everything fixes it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Mon, 7 Dec 2020 20:54:25 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

Ancient i phone will not connect saying the Wi-Fi password key is
incorrect.

Tell iPhone to forget the relevant network. Let it find the network
again and try connecting again entering password etc.

OK. Not my phone and the owner knows less than I:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Vir Campestris
writes
On 07/12/2020 20:54, Tim Lamb wrote:
Tested by Tim, wifi signal adequate throughout kitchen/dining area.
Internet radio works OK although there have been a few outages which
seemed to coincide with Openreach installing some additional cabling
nearby.
Ancient i phone will not connect saying the Wi-Fi password key is
incorrect. Router 12 months or so from installation, not running hot
or any other symptoms. Hardwired connection to desktop OK.
Any ideas?

Are you _absolutely certain_ you've type the key in correctly? Any
funny characters like £#$ in it that the iPhone might be getting wrong?
Mixed up O0?

Certain:-) No Ohs or zeroes.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , GB
writes
On 07/12/2020 20:54, Tim Lamb wrote:
Tested by Tim, wifi signal adequate throughout kitchen/dining area.
Internet radio works OK although there have been a few outages which
seemed to coincide with Openreach installing some additional cabling
nearby.
Ancient i phone will not connect saying the Wi-Fi password key is
incorrect. Router 12 months or so from installation, not running hot
or any other symptoms. Hardwired connection to desktop OK.
Any ideas?

Which frequency are you testing? Which is the iphone using?

On some routers, you can split them, with different passwords etc.

Beyond my understanding I'm afraid.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 07/12/2020 20:54, Tim Lamb wrote:
Tested by Tim, wifi signal adequate throughout kitchen/dining area.
Internet radio works OK although there have been a few outages which
seemed to coincide with Openreach installing some additional cabling
nearby.
Ancient i phone will not connect saying the Wi-Fi password key is
incorrect. Router 12 months or so from installation, not running hot
or any other symptoms. Hardwired connection to desktop OK.
Any ideas?

Has it ever connected in the past.

iThingys can be very fussy about what Wifi shipsets they will talk to.

Once every six months my network decides it won't talk to iPhones etc.

Power cycling everything fixes it.

Hmm. That sounds possible. I'm sure it has connected in the past.

I'll get her to try a fresh switch on within range. If that fails try a
power cycle.

It is loaded up with photos/videos etc. Surprising it can work at all!

Tomorrow!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2020 20:54:25, Tim Lamb wrote:
Tested by Tim, wifi signal adequate throughout kitchen/dining area.

Internet radio works OK although there have been a few outages which
seemed to coincide with Openreach installing some additional cabling
nearby.

Ancient i phone will not connect saying the Wi-Fi password key is
incorrect. Router 12 months or so from installation, not running hot or
any other symptoms. Hardwired connection to desktop OK.

A while ago I was looking into the security of Wifi networks and methods
to obtain the password.

There are a number of techniques that take over the SSID and trick the
user into entering the network Wifi Password. It's one reason why many
corporate Wifi networks use a bespoke interface where the user has no
access to this password.

This type of attack comes under "social engineering".

The idea of entering a password known to be correct a number of times
should ring alarm bells.

Most likely it's a iPhone feature!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2020 22:30, Tim Lamb wrote:

I'll get her to try a fresh switch on within range. If that fails try a
power cycle.

It is loaded up with photos/videos etc. Surprising it can work at all!

You're working hard for this shag. Or will it just be chocolate cake and
a sherry?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2020 20:54, Tim Lamb wrote:
Tested by Tim, wifi signal adequate throughout kitchen/dining area.

Internet radio works OK although there have been a few outages which
seemed to coincide with Openreach installing some additional cabling
nearby.

Ancient i phone will not connect saying the Wi-Fi password key is
incorrect. Router 12 months or so from installation, not running hot or
any other symptoms. Hardwired connection to desktop OK.

Any ideas?

IME older iStuff was more fussy than newer... however usually can
connect, but i have had cases of a user with one particular iPhone
unable to connect to one particular network. Even had one case where the
phone could not cope with the EAP authentication in use, and I had to
create a whole new wifi network with WPA2 just for one user!

Getting the iPhone to forget the existing connection and then
reconnecting and entering the details from scratch can help.

You can run into problems with UK wifi equipment that uses channels 12
and 13 since these are not available in many countries. So some devices
have trouble connecting.

(the phone may be just sniffing for the first wifi network it sees, and
working out from that what country specs to use. Since many folks don't
setup the region correctly on their wifi router they often default to
US, ans so the phone ends up assuming that channels 12 and 13 are off
limits)

You can use an app like Wifi analyser to report the channel of your
wifi, or you can log into the management page of the router (details on
the sticker on the router usually).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

iThingys can be very fussy about what Wifi shipsets they will talk to.

I don't really do iThings, but have had a friend recently say his phone
has started complaining about connecting to his home router (as
supplied/configured by gigaclear) which is still using TKIP rather than
WPA2/AES.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2020 23:03, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

There are a number of things you can do to help mitigate against this:

If your Wifi gear supports it, you can hide the SSID to make it harder
for others to recreate an evil twin Acces point.

You can build yourself a openVPN server on a raspberry pi and install on
on your home network, Then install openVPN on all mobile devices and set
it to always only connect over VPN to wifi. Use a different password for
the VPN to the WiFi password.

(This is also doable out on the 4g network if you port forward port 1194
in the router to your VPN server so you can also deal with dodgy public
wifi access points)

Create a Captive Portal on your home network for user authentication.

Some WifI AP's support Rogue AP detection, mine does and I get emails if
it detects a rogue AP popping up.

On my Wifi I have a MAC address white list so only the MAC addresses
that are in the White list are allowed to connect, every othetr MACX
address is rejected.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , williamwright
writes
On 07/12/2020 22:30, Tim Lamb wrote:

I'll get her to try a fresh switch on within range. If that fails try
a power cycle.
It is loaded up with photos/videos etc. Surprising it can work at
all!

You're working hard for this shag. Or will it just be chocolate cake
and a sherry?

52 years and still counting. She is a good cook:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

Power cycling seems to have it fixed. But why. Does this mean I have to
crawl into the loft every time the phone is carried beyond wifi range?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , No Name
writes
[...]

I am relieved to say power cycling has fixed the problem. Your kind
suggestions are mostly way beyond my comprehension:-(

This is a fairly isolated location and no other domestic wifi within
20m.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2020 09:17, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes

You can use an app like Wifi analyser to report the channel of your
wifi, or you can log into the management page of the router (details
on the sticker on the router usually).

Power cycling seems to have it fixed. But why. Does this mean I have to
crawl into the loft every time the phone is carried beyond wifi range?

No. It is the sort of thing that happens once very six months or so -
maybe even less. One of my repeaters decided not to play with my wife's
iPhone last week. She was amazed when I fixed it using a poker!

The mains switch is inconveniently right behind the TV but with a poker
I can just about reach it to switch off and on...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

Power cycling seems to have it fixed. But why. Does this mean I have to
crawl into the loft every time the phone is carried beyond wifi range?

Fit a remote power switch now while you can still crawl :-)

You /could/ fit a smart wifi socket, but ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2020 09:17, Tim Lamb wrote:
snip

Power cycling seems to have it fixed. But why. Does this mean I have to
crawl into the loft every time the phone is carried beyond wifi range?

Not necessarily.

It may mean that you will face the question "how much do I care if other
stuff on the same circuit as the router loses power briefly?"

But, before that, try rebooting the router from the management page from
your laptop/PC. (I know that's often more bother than power cycling but
when the alternative is crawling into the loft....)

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Robin
writes
On 08/12/2020 09:17, Tim Lamb wrote:
snip

Power cycling seems to have it fixed. But why. Does this mean I
have to crawl into the loft every time the phone is carried beyond
wifi range?

Not necessarily.

It may mean that you will face the question "how much do I care if
other stuff on the same circuit as the router loses power briefly?"

But, before that, try rebooting the router from the management
page from your laptop/PC. (I know that's often more bother than
power cycling but when the alternative is crawling into the loft....)

Er.. right:-) This is W7.

My choices.. Set up a new connection or network.

Connect to a network.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 11:33:55 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip

But, before that, try rebooting the router from the management
page from your laptop/PC. (I know that's often more bother than
power cycling but when the alternative is crawling into the loft....)

Er.. right:-) This is W7.

My choices.. Set up a new connection or network.

Connect to a network.

You need to find out the ip address of your router and then type that
into your browser and connect to it (like any other web site).

The security info you need (and often it's i/p address) is normally
written on the router somewhere (back / underneath).

You are looking for something like 192.168.x.25X or .1.

Or you could download, install and run Advanced IP Scanner (also handy
for other things and see all the devices on your network, inc the
router).

https://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/

*Very* easy to use (yes, even for you). Once it's found the router you
can generally click on it from there and get connected (it displays
the IP addresses and other info).

Then, once you have logged in with a username and password (that it
might get you to change on first visit), you should see under one of
the menus the option to 'Reboot'.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2020 11:33, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Robin
writes
On 08/12/2020 09:17, Tim Lamb wrote:
snip

Power cycling seems to have it fixed. But why. Does this mean I
have to crawl into the loft every time the phone is carried beyond
wifi range?

Not necessarily.

It may mean that you will face the question "how much do I care if
other stuff on the same circuit as the router loses power briefly?"

But, before that, try rebooting the router from the management
page from your laptop/PC. (I know that's often more bother than
power cycling but when the alternative is crawling into the loft....)

Er.. right:-) This is W7.

My choices.. Set up a new connection or network.

Connect to a network.

Nothing to do with Windows 10 vs 7. You do it in your browser. Just
open Firefox or Edge or whatever you use, then type in to the bar at the
top the address of the router. That's something like 192.168.0.1 or
192.168.1.254. If your router came from your ISP they'll have a guide
on their site. Or of course ask here (where there's those far more
expert than me).

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes
On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 11:33:55 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip

[...]

OK. I was actually supplied with a reference card which includes the
address and the current password.

What do we hope rebooting will do?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Robin
writes
[...]

OK. See Tim's message.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 14:28:24 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:
snip

OK. I was actually supplied with a reference card which includes the
address and the current password.

What do we hope rebooting will do?

What it has already done but easier than gaining access to the router
potentially (if you actually meant what you typed)?

"Does this mean I have to crawl into the loft every time the phone is
carried beyond wifi range?"

No (if you initiate a soft reboot) and no, most decent kit (phones,
tablets, laptops) should simply reconnect to any network they see, if
not already connected to one.

However, some routers can / do do funny things (have RAM leaks or
limits to some tables) and so can need a reboot now and again to clear
the decks etc.[1]

My router is typically at arms length but I still typically reboot it
the way suggested by some here.

Cheers, T i m

[1] My router for example should allow unused auto-administered (DHCP)
IP addresses to expire if unused for a specific period but doesn't.
So, once it's run out of such ip addresses (DHPC scope) it won't dish
any more out and so you don't fully connect (until it's rebooted).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2020 08:49, No Name wrote:
[...]

Its trivial enough to find hidden SSIDs, that this is not worth doing
IMHO. Anyone capable of sticking up a fake wifi to masquerade as an
existing network, will also be able to see SSIDs hidden or not.

Using properly signed security certificates and EAP authentication is
the way to go if you want to prevent this.

(and having a RADIUS database of users, means you add or revoke
individual users, rather than sharing one wifi password with everyone)

You can build yourself a openVPN server on a raspberry pi and install on
on your home network, Then install openVPN on all mobile devices and set
it to always only connect over VPN to wifi. Use a different password for
the VPN to the WiFi password.

(This is also doable out on the 4g network if you port forward port 1194
in the router to your VPN server so you can also deal with dodgy public
wifi access points)

Create a Captive Portal on your home network for user authentication.

Some WifI AP's support Rogue AP detection, mine does and I get emails if
it detects a rogue AP popping up.

On my Wifi I have a MAC address white list so only the MAC addresses
that are in the White list are allowed to connect, every othetr MACX
address is rejected.

More security theatre really. MAC addresses are "soft" and can be
reprogrammed on modern network cards. So other than making you own life
more difficult there is not usually any real benefit to MAC address
filtering.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2020 09:17, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 07/12/2020 20:54, Tim Lamb wrote:
Tested by Tim, wifi signal adequate throughout kitchen/dining area.
Â*Internet radio works OK although there have been a few outages which
seemed to coincide with Openreach installing some additional cabling
nearby.
Â*Ancient i phone will not connect saying the Wi-Fi password key is
incorrect. Router 12 months or so from installation, not running hot
orÂ* any other symptoms. Hardwired connection to desktop OK.
Â*Any ideas?

[...]

You can probably do a reset from the management page of the router,
rather than needing to physically power cycle it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2020 14:28, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , T i m
writes
On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 11:33:55 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip

But, before that, try rebooting the router from the management
page from your laptop/PC.Â* (I know that's often more bother than
power cycling but when the alternative is crawling into the loft....)

Er.. right:-)Â* This is W7.

My choices.. Set up a new connection or network.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Connect to a network.

[...]

Much the same as power cycling...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 08/12/2020 14:28, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , T i m
writes
On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 11:33:55 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip

[...]

Things seem OK at the moment so I'll hang fire on that.

Current issue is learning how to transfer endless grand child photos
from the i phone 5 to free up some memory.

Hopefully to a W7 laptop. (doesn't seem to have autoplay installed)

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 08/12/2020 14:28, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , T i m
writes
On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 11:33:55 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip

[...]

Oops! Yes it does:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 19:48:51 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:
snip

What do we hope rebooting will do?

Much the same as power cycling...

Things seem OK at the moment so I'll hang fire on that.

Well quite because you have just done it and if you don't mind
crawling into yer comms cupboard that's what you can do next time as
well, and probably will if you don't work out what you will need to do
now, become it becomes 'urgent'. ;-)

Current issue is learning how to transfer endless grand child photos
from the i phone 5 to free up some memory.

iTunes I think.

Hopefully to a W7 laptop. (doesn't seem to have autoplay installed)

it's an iPhone, they are weird ...

In case you haven't already, Apples iCloud backup / storage is free
for quite a bit of space and not a lot more (like 79p/month) for a lot
more.

https://www.icloud.com/

Mum (92) has that for bother her iPads and her iPhone and it
automatically syncs all the pictures (mainly) from all devices to the
other devices and the cloud, in case of loss or failure of the device
or picture. Also means to can get to them from your W7 PC (Or XP PC
here) etc.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204283

You can also 'locate' the devices ... from your PC ... handy if they
get lost ... ?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 20:41:13 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:
snip

Hopefully to a W7 laptop. (doesn't seem to have autoplay installed)

Oops! Yes it does:-)

It might have needed to download and install the drivers first, if it
hasn't seen an iPhone before?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2020 18:16, John Rumm wrote:
On 08/12/2020 08:49, No Name wrote:

If your Wifi gear supports it, you can hide the SSID to make it harder
for others to recreate an evil twin Acces point.

Its trivial enough to find hidden SSIDs, that this is not worth doing
IMHO. Anyone capable of sticking up a fake wifi to masquerade as an
existing network, will also be able to see SSIDs hidden or not.

Yup.

If ya configure a laptop/mobile phone to connect to a hidden SSID, part
of the initial conversation from the device is "hello, SSID are you
there?". There isn't much encryption at this step, and if ye take ya
device walkabout with the WiFi switched on - it's gonna be having this
conversation with absolutely everything.

One day, something nefarious will answer - "yes, I'm SSID - I'm here,
give me any password. We can connect."

:-(

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2020 09:13:34, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , williamwright
writes
On 07/12/2020 22:30, Tim Lamb wrote:

I'll get her to try a fresh switch on within range. If that fails try
a power cycle.
Â*It is loaded up with photos/videos etc. Surprising it can work at all!

You're working hard for this shag. Or will it just be chocolate cake
and a sherry?

52 years and still counting. She is a good cook:-)

They say there are two sites of the male that are routes to his heart. I
guess the mouth is closer!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Return signal from phone has too low a level. Does it work reliably near the
router?
If yes, then almost certainly time to get a new phone, if not then check it
is seeing the correct form of protection. In the main if its running at
least ios 11 then it should be ok. Anything else and who knows. Most of the
Iphones since about the 8 have dual band wifi, and my 10r always uses the 5
gig band not the rather interference prone 2.5 gig one.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
Tested by Tim, wifi signal adequate throughout kitchen/dining area.

Internet radio works OK although there have been a few outages which
seemed to coincide with Openreach installing some additional cabling
nearby.

Ancient i phone will not connect saying the Wi-Fi password key is
incorrect. Router 12 months or so from installation, not running hot or
any other symptoms. Hardwired connection to desktop OK.

Any ideas?
--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa)"
writes
Return signal from phone has too low a level. Does it work reliably near the
router?
If yes, then almost certainly time to get a new phone, if not then check it
is seeing the correct form of protection. In the main if its running at
least ios 11 then it should be ok. Anything else and who knows. Most of the
Iphones since about the 8 have dual band wifi, and my 10r always uses the 5
gig band not the rather interference prone 2.5 gig one.

The last router power down seems to have cured the problem. Open Reach
have been re-cabling here so the remote connection may have been
intermittent.

The phone has accompanied the owner for a pre-op covid test and may not
be back for some time.

John has me worrying that having bullied her into switching on the wifi,
she is now carting it around a hospital!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

No. However I have seen oddities like this on failing netgear routers

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2020 09:17:46, Tim Lamb wrote:

snip

Power cycling seems to have it fixed. But why. Does this mean I have to
crawl into the loft every time the phone is carried beyond wifi range?

Is there not a more remote means of power cycling, perhaps via an MCB,
or is your consumer unit in the loft too?

I have mine next to a NAS drive both through a UPS so I have less choice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 09:08:00 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip

John has me worrying that having bullied her into switching on the wifi,
she is now carting it around a hospital!

Along with all the other patients, doctors and hospital staff you
mean? ;-)

Cheers, T i m