Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default wifi strangeness

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 08/12/2020 14:28, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , T i m
writes
On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 11:33:55 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip

But, before that, try rebooting the router from the management
page from your laptop/PC.* (I know that's often more bother than
power cycling but when the alternative is crawling into the loft....)

Er.. right:-)* This is W7.

My choices.. Set up a new connection or network.

****** Connect to a network.

You need to find out the ip address of your router and then type that
into your browser and connect to it (like any other web site).

The security info you need (and often it's i/p address) is normally
written on the router somewhere (back / underneath).

You are looking for something like 192.168.x.25X or .1.

Or you could download, install and run Advanced IP Scanner (also handy
for other things and see all the devices on your network, inc the
router).

https://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/

*Very* easy to use (yes, even for you). Once it's found the router you
can generally click on it from there and get connected (it displays
the IP addresses and other info).

Then, once you have logged in with a username and password (that it
might get you to change on first visit), you should see under one of
the menus the option to 'Reboot'.
OK. I was actually supplied with a reference card which includes
the address and the current password.
What do we hope rebooting will do?

Much the same as power cycling...

Things seem OK at the moment so I'll hang fire on that.

Current issue is learning how to transfer endless grand child photos
from the i phone 5 to free up some memory.

Hopefully to a W7 laptop. (doesn't seem to have autoplay installed)

Oops! Yes it does:-)

--
Tim Lamb