Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fancy an anglepoise lamp anyone?

A snip at £250
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
A snip at £250

as they seem to retail for £2950

yes, it is

Are you selling?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 10/11/2020 16:27, tim... wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
A snip at £250

as they seem to retail for £2950

yes, it is

Are you selling?

I have an Anglepoise as my reading light by my bed. It occasionally
falls off the table, and I pick it up and put it back again. The
previous one was an ikea clone that snapped the first time it fell down.
The Anglepoise is metal, whilst the crucial bit of the ikea clone is
plastic. The Anglepoise cost £50, whilst the useless clone cost £20.

Black Friday or Cyber Monday (or any-excuse Wednesday, too) is about to
come up, and I expect Anglepoises will be discounted heavily.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim...
writes

"Broadback" wrote in message
A snip at £250

as they seem to retail for £2950

yes, it is

Are you selling?

They're no-where near those prices on e-bay.

Someone down the road had thrown one out a 1227. I rescued it as I'd
always fancied one,. The original lamp socket had been replaced by a
plastic one, presumably to make it electrically safe. There's a company
that sells spare parts, so I bought a chrome fitting with earth and 3
core vintage style cable.

I use it daily , The only gripe is the LED bulb is the wrong weight to
balance it properly.

Brian

--
Brian Howie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 17:38:03 +0000, GB wrote:

I have an Anglepoise as my reading light by my bed. It occasionally
falls off the table, and I pick it up and put it back again. The
previous one was an ikea clone that snapped the first time it fell down.
The Anglepoise is metal, whilst the crucial bit of the ikea clone is
plastic. The Anglepoise cost £50, whilst the useless clone cost £20.

Black Friday or Cyber Monday (or any-excuse Wednesday, too) is about to
come up, and I expect Anglepoises will be discounted heavily.

I have four similar lamps here, but they are all Luxo. Pretty happy,
apart from the odd switch which in one case has failed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes and similar floor standing lamps seem to be a great bargain on some
sites at a little under 400 quid. What gives, are these being hand built by
artisans or what?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Broadback" wrote in message
A snip at £250

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm in the wrong business clearly. So, what else can we bling up and charge
the he earth for? Svorfski encrusted consumer units with lead crystal reset
buttons?

"tim..." wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
A snip at £250

as they seem to retail for £2950

yes, it is

Are you selling?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2020 11:15, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes and similar floor standing lamps seem to be a great bargain on some
sites at a little under 400 quid. What gives, are these being hand built by
artisans or what?

I too have been astonished by prices for genuine Anglepoises. Decades ago I first encountered one when one has provided in my college room. When I moved out to digs I bought one of my own - surely not all that expensive then or I wouldn't have been able to afford it. That Anglepoise still works and is on my desk as I type this. But a little while ago I wanted to get another one, but found you had to pay hundreds of pounds at least which was a real surprise.

I got an inferior brand and it works, but doesn't balance as well, and is certainly less well made. So maybe you get what you pay for. Surely the original design must be out of patent protection by now?

--
Clive Page
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 10/11/2020 20:36, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 17:38:03 +0000, GB wrote:

I have an Anglepoise as my reading light by my bed. It occasionally
falls off the table, and I pick it up and put it back again. The
previous one was an ikea clone that snapped the first time it fell down.
The Anglepoise is metal, whilst the crucial bit of the ikea clone is
plastic. The Anglepoise cost £50, whilst the useless clone cost £20.

Black Friday or Cyber Monday (or any-excuse Wednesday, too) is about to
come up, and I expect Anglepoises will be discounted heavily.

I have four similar lamps here, but they are all Luxo. Pretty happy,
apart from the odd switch which in one case has failed.

The first Luxo I came across on Amazon is over £400! I hope you have a
good burglar alarm.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Luxo-Desk-A.../dp/B07NQHJZQ4

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 11:20:00 -0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

You can on some of them get different springs to do the balancing for
other bulbs though.

Or just move the spring anchor points to different holes in the arm.
Not sure if that is an Anglepoise or Luxo feature...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clive Page wrote:
I got an inferior brand and it works, but doesn't balance as well, and
is certainly less well made. So maybe you get what you pay for.
Surely the original design must be out of patent protection by now?

Is there a patent on the design? Can you patent an obvious principle?

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Nov 2020 12:40:35 +0000 (GMT), Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 11:20:00 -0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

You can on some of them get different springs to do the balancing for
other bulbs though.

Or just move the spring anchor points to different holes in the arm.
Not sure if that is an Anglepoise or Luxo feature...

Not on my AP - I drilled more holes to balance a GU10 in an adaptor. Having
vanadalised the AP I then later fitted a BC lamp!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away