Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive Page[_2_] Clive Page[_2_] is offline

Default Fancy an anglepoise lamp anyone?

On 11/11/2020 11:15, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes and similar floor standing lamps seem to be a great bargain on some
sites at a little under 400 quid. What gives, are these being hand built by
artisans or what?

I too have been astonished by prices for genuine Anglepoises. Decades ago I first encountered one when one has provided in my college room. When I moved out to digs I bought one of my own - surely not all that expensive then or I wouldn't have been able to afford it. That Anglepoise still works and is on my desk as I type this. But a little while ago I wanted to get another one, but found you had to pay hundreds of pounds at least which was a real surprise.

I got an inferior brand and it works, but doesn't balance as well, and is certainly less well made. So maybe you get what you pay for. Surely the original design must be out of patent protection by now?

--
Clive Page