Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cost of an AVO in 1966

Just looking back at an old record of department purchases since 1957.
Tracked done one of our remaining AVO's 8 mk III and ,atching serial number it seems we bought 6 of them for £128 in Aug 1966. So about £22 each.

Just found it interesting wonder how you would factor in inflation and what they would be in todays money.

We've just bought a scope for £31 each last week :-)

Think I have another 10 in the post room today to collect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Nov 2020 05:57:01 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

Just looking back at an old record of department purchases since 1957.
Tracked done one of our remaining AVO's 8 mk III and ,atching serial
number it seems we bought 6 of them for £128 in Aug 1966. So about £22
each.

Just found it interesting wonder how you would factor in inflation and
what they would be in todays money.

They were about £1000 from RS when they last sold them, as I recall. That
would be about 2008.

I bought a mint condition Mark 6 for about £90 a while ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2020 15:17, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2020 05:57:01 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

Just looking back at an old record of department purchases since 1957.
Tracked done one of our remaining AVO's 8 mk III and ,atching serial
number it seems we bought 6 of them for £128 in Aug 1966. So about £22
each.

Just found it interesting wonder how you would factor in inflation and
what they would be in todays money.

They were about £1000 from RS when they last sold them, as I recall. That
would be about 2008.

I bought a mint condition Mark 6 for about £90 a while ago.

I got a NATO one about ten years ago in a leather case for about £40
from Pearsons up ra barras,,,,they had a job lot ....hated that stupid
non standard battery in it so I sold it......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2020 15:17, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2020 05:57:01 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

Just looking back at an old record of department purchases since 1957.
Tracked done one of our remaining AVO's 8 mk III and ,atching serial
number it seems we bought 6 of them for £128 in Aug 1966. So about £22
each.

Just found it interesting wonder how you would factor in inflation and
what they would be in todays money.

They were about £1000 from RS when they last sold them, as I recall. That
would be about 2008.

I bought a mint condition Mark 6 for about £90 a while ago.

AKA A Sick Meter if you pismronounce AVO Meter as A Vomitter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2020 13:57, whisky-dave wrote:
Just looking back at an old record of department purchases since 1957.
Tracked done one of our remaining AVO's 8 mk III and ,atching serial number it seems we bought 6 of them for £128 in Aug 1966. So about £22 each.

Just found it interesting wonder how you would factor in inflation and what they would be in todays money.

£2029 according to this website
https://www.inflationtool.com/britis...lue?amount=128

--
Chris B (News)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Just looking back at an old record of department purchases since 1957.
Tracked done one of our remaining AVO's 8 mk III and ,atching serial number it seems we bought 6 of them for £128 in Aug 1966. So about £22 each.

Just found it interesting wonder how you would factor in inflation and what they would be in todays money.

We've just bought a scope for £31 each last week :-)

Think I have another 10 in the post room today to collect.

In 66, a reasonable weeks wages would be about £10.

--
*The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Just looking back at an old record of department purchases since 1957.
Tracked done one of our remaining AVO's 8 mk III and ,atching serial number it seems we bought 6 of them for £128 in Aug 1966. So about £22 each.

Just found it interesting wonder how you would factor in inflation and what they would be in todays money.

We've just bought a scope for £31 each last week :-)

Think I have another 10 in the post room today to collect.

In 66, a reasonable weeks wages would be about £10.

Perhaps a little towards the low end? I was getting 5 bob an hour at a
petrol station in 1966 as a sixth-former. That would easily cover a
gallon of petrol. Ordinary bitter was about 8p a pint. My student grant
in '67 was about £100 per term.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Just looking back at an old record of department purchases since 1957.
Tracked done one of our remaining AVO's 8 mk III and ,atching
serial number it seems we bought 6 of them for £128 in Aug 1966. So
about £22 each.

Just found it interesting wonder how you would factor in inflation
and what they would be in todays money.

We've just bought a scope for £31 each last week :-)

Think I have another 10 in the post room today to collect.

In 66, a reasonable weeks wages would be about £10.

In 1961, I got £4.8/- but petrol was 4/6p

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
Just looking back at an old record of department purchases since 1957.
Tracked done one of our remaining AVO's 8 mk III and ,atching
serial number it seems we bought 6 of them for £128 in Aug 1966. So
about £22 each.

Just found it interesting wonder how you would factor in inflation
and what they would be in todays money.

We've just bought a scope for £31 each last week :-)

Think I have another 10 in the post room today to collect.

In 66, a reasonable weeks wages would be about £10.

In 1961, I got £4.8/- but petrol was 4/6p

Very early 60s, I had a part share in an Austin 7 Ruby. It cost us £15.
You could fill it - 5 gallons of commercial petrol (2 star) - for a quid.

--
*If PROGRESS is for advancement, what does that make CONGRESS mean?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
Just looking back at an old record of department purchases since 1957.
Tracked done one of our remaining AVO's 8 mk III and ,atching
serial number it seems we bought 6 of them for £128 in Aug 1966. So
about £22 each.

Just found it interesting wonder how you would factor in inflation
and what they would be in todays money.

We've just bought a scope for £31 each last week :-)

Think I have another 10 in the post room today to collect.

In 66, a reasonable weeks wages would be about £10.

In 1961, I got £4.8/- but petrol was 4/6p

Very early 60s, I had a part share in an Austin 7 Ruby. It cost us £15.
You could fill it - 5 gallons of commercial petrol (2 star) - for a quid.

My Morris tourer was £25!

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Nov 2020 15:17:00 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Mon, 09 Nov 2020 05:57:01 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

Just looking back at an old record of department purchases since 1957.
Tracked done one of our remaining AVO's 8 mk III and ,atching serial
number it seems we bought 6 of them for £128 in Aug 1966. So about £22
each.

Just found it interesting wonder how you would factor in inflation and
what they would be in todays money.

They were about £1000 from RS when they last sold them, as I recall. That
would be about 2008.

I bought a mint condition Mark 6 for about £90 a while ago.

According to:
https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/mone...ion-calculator

that GBP22 would have been GBP412.93 in 2019 adjusting for inflation.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Just looking back at an old record of department purchases since 1957.
Tracked done one of our remaining AVO's 8 mk III and ,atching serial
number it seems we bought 6 of them for £128 in Aug 1966. So about £22
each.

Just found it interesting wonder how you would factor in inflation and
what they would be in todays money.

We've just bought a scope for £31 each last week :-)

Think I have another 10 in the post room today to collect.

In 66, a reasonable weeks wages would be about £10.

Perhaps a little towards the low end? I was getting 5 bob an hour at a
petrol station in 1966 as a sixth-former.

I got 35p per hour in 1974, again as a six-former.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2020 16:50, Tim Streater wrote:

More like £15/wk, I'd have said. My grant was about £120/term for the period
64-67.

69-72 the grant was £365 pa; £1 per day for the whole year.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â* Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Â*Â* whisky-dave wrote:
Â* Just looking back at an old record of department purchases since
1957.
Â*Â* Tracked done one of our remaining AVO's 8 mk III and ,atching
serial number it seems we bought 6 of them for £128 in Aug 1966. So
about £22 each.

Just found it interesting wonder how you would factor in inflation
and what they would be in todays money.

We've just bought a scope for £31 each last week :-)

Think I have another 10 in the post room today to collect.

In 66, a reasonable weeks wages would be about £10.
In 1961, I got £4.8/- but petrol was 4/6p

Very early 60s, I had a part share in an Austin 7 Ruby. It cost us £15.
You could fill it - 5 gallons of commercial petrol (2 star) -Â* for a
quid.

My Morris tourer was £25!

I think my Anglia in 1972/3 was £15, but the fibreglass mat and resin to
fill the rust holes might have cost more ;-) It's a matter of great
retrospective relief that I didn't hit anything in that car!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

by then I'd upgraded to a new Cortina. Which I kept for 13 years!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , charles
writes
whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

I acquired a Morgan series 2 when I was 20. Managed to keep it going
(engine/gearbox upgrade, new chassis and complete rebuild plus several
re-sprays) until I was 35. Had to grow up sometime:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I remember that a lot of the cost was calibration of the analogue meter and
indeed the very high quality switches and plating used inside it, all of
which was not cheap.
If I could see, I'd still need an analogue meter since there was nothing as
revealing as the wobbling of a reading to indicate where an intermittent
fault might lurk.
Digital are fine for steady state work of course, but for fault finding
they were of limited use.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 09 Nov 2020 05:57:01 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

Just looking back at an old record of department purchases since 1957.
Tracked done one of our remaining AVO's 8 mk III and ,atching serial
number it seems we bought 6 of them for £128 in Aug 1966. So about £22
each.

Just found it interesting wonder how you would factor in inflation and
what they would be in todays money.

They were about £1000 from RS when they last sold them, as I recall. That
would be about 2008.

I bought a mint condition Mark 6 for about £90 a while ago.

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes that sounds about right. Just look at the cost of a house in the 1960s
compared to now. It is frightening, but we still needed to have a mortgage
back then.
I remember my hi fi, the various components were all priced in guineas, and
there was purchase tax of 25 percent.
Some things never change, Guineas were used in a similar way to the old
99.99 is these days, to make stuff look cheaper.

On the Avo though I found the leads tended to have short lives. Covered in a
rubber and with push on ends, one soon found that the wire inside could get
damaged. Mind you the treatment in the average TV factory was not exactly
careful, I have to say with them being dragged over sharp edges of steel
chassis etc.

"Nick Odell" wrote in message
On 9 Nov 2020 15:17:00 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Mon, 09 Nov 2020 05:57:01 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

Just looking back at an old record of department purchases since 1957.
Tracked done one of our remaining AVO's 8 mk III and ,atching serial
number it seems we bought 6 of them for £128 in Aug 1966. So about £22
each.

Just found it interesting wonder how you would factor in inflation and
what they would be in todays money.

They were about £1000 from RS when they last sold them, as I recall. That
would be about 2008.

I bought a mint condition Mark 6 for about £90 a while ago.

According to:
https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/mone...ion-calculator

that GBP22 would have been GBP412.93 in 2019 adjusting for inflation.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
I remember that a lot of the cost was calibration of the analogue meter
and indeed the very high quality switches and plating used inside it,
all of which was not cheap. If I could see, I'd still need an analogue
meter since there was nothing as revealing as the wobbling of a reading
to indicate where an intermittent fault might lurk.
Digital are fine for steady state work of course, but for fault finding
they were of limited use.

I do have an AVO 8, but it stays in its beautiful leather case. The number
of times it would be better for fault finding rather rare.

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) has brought this to us :
Digital are fine for steady state work of course, but for fault finding they
were of limited use.

Yep, that's why many digital meters now include an analogue display
too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) presented the following explanation :
I do have an AVO 8, but it stays in its beautiful leather case. The number
of times it would be better for fault finding rather rare.

I last used one of mine, I have several, several years ago to fault
find a mystery discharge on my car when parked. It was handy not only
for the flick of the needle, but for the fact it didn't shut itself off
after several minutes untouched, as a digi-meter would.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2020 12:27, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) presented the following explanation :
I do have an AVO 8, but it stays in its beautiful leather case. The
number
of times it would be better for fault finding rather rare.

I last used one of mine, I have several, several years ago to fault find
a mystery discharge on my car when parked. It was handy not only for the
flick of the needle, but for the fact it didn't shut itself off after
several minutes untouched, as a digi-meter would.

You lucky man. Mine just flattens its battery....

--
€œThe fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2020 12:21, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa) has brought this to us :
Digital are fine for steady state work of course, but for fault
finding they were of limited use.

Yep, that's why many digital meters now include an analogue display too.

I never really used the anti-parallax mirrors on my AVO, but
for swinging the needle for tweaking to a max, an analogue
meter beats a digital readout hands down!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2020 19:31, Nick Odell wrote:
On 9 Nov 2020 15:17:00 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Mon, 09 Nov 2020 05:57:01 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

Just looking back at an old record of department purchases since 1957.
Tracked done one of our remaining AVO's 8 mk III and ,atching serial
number it seems we bought 6 of them for £128 in Aug 1966. So about £22
each.

Just found it interesting wonder how you would factor in inflation and
what they would be in todays money.

They were about £1000 from RS when they last sold them, as I recall. That
would be about 2008.

I bought a mint condition Mark 6 for about £90 a while ago.

According to:
https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/mone...ion-calculator

that GBP22 would have been GBP412.93 in 2019 adjusting for inflation.

Nick

But how much when corrected for house price inflation since 1966 ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 10 November 2020 at 12:22:02 UTC, undefined wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa) has brought this to us :
Digital are fine for steady state work of course, but for fault finding they
were of limited use.

Yep, that's why many digital meters now include an analogue display
too.

And a beep for continuity which AVO's at that time didn't have.
Continuity being a very useful feature provided you use it right.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 9 November 2020 at 16:40:27 UTC, newshound wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Just looking back at an old record of department purchases since 1957.
Tracked done one of our remaining AVO's 8 mk III and ,atching serial number it seems we bought 6 of them for £128 in Aug 1966. So about £22 each.

Just found it interesting wonder how you would factor in inflation and what they would be in todays money.

We've just bought a scope for £31 each last week :-)

Think I have another 10 in the post room today to collect.

In 66, a reasonable weeks wages would be about £10.

Perhaps a little towards the low end? I was getting 5 bob an hour at a
petrol station in 1966 as a sixth-former. That would easily cover a
gallon of petrol. Ordinary bitter was about 8p a pint. My student grant
in '67 was about £100 per term.

8p or 8d as there's quite a differnce, I was far too young to even hold a pint. :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
whisky-dave writes
whisky-dave wrote:
Just looking back at an old record of department purchases since 1957.
Tracked done one of our remaining AVO's 8 mk III and ,atching
serial number it seems we bought 6 of them for £128 in Aug 1966. So
about £22 each.

Just found it interesting wonder how you would factor in inflation
and what they would be in todays money.

We've just bought a scope for £31 each last week :-)

Think I have another 10 in the post room today to collect.

In 66, a reasonable weeks wages would be about £10.

Perhaps a little towards the low end? I was getting 5 bob an hour at a
petrol station in 1966 as a sixth-former. That would easily cover a
gallon of petrol. Ordinary bitter was about 8p a pint. My student grant
in '67 was about £100 per term.

8p or 8d as there's quite a differnce, I was far too young to even
hold a pint. :-)

Pint of mild was 1/6p around then. Rural pubs closed at 10.30pm.

--
Tim Lamb