Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cost of an AVO in 1966

I remember that a lot of the cost was calibration of the analogue meter and
indeed the very high quality switches and plating used inside it, all of
which was not cheap.
If I could see, I'd still need an analogue meter since there was nothing as
revealing as the wobbling of a reading to indicate where an intermittent
fault might lurk.
Digital are fine for steady state work of course, but for fault finding
they were of limited use.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 09 Nov 2020 05:57:01 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

Just looking back at an old record of department purchases since 1957.
Tracked done one of our remaining AVO's 8 mk III and ,atching serial
number it seems we bought 6 of them for £128 in Aug 1966. So about £22
each.

Just found it interesting wonder how you would factor in inflation and
what they would be in todays money.

They were about £1000 from RS when they last sold them, as I recall. That
would be about 2008.

I bought a mint condition Mark 6 for about £90 a while ago.

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org