Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cost of an AVO in 1966

Yes that sounds about right. Just look at the cost of a house in the 1960s
compared to now. It is frightening, but we still needed to have a mortgage
back then.
I remember my hi fi, the various components were all priced in guineas, and
there was purchase tax of 25 percent.
Some things never change, Guineas were used in a similar way to the old
99.99 is these days, to make stuff look cheaper.

On the Avo though I found the leads tended to have short lives. Covered in a
rubber and with push on ends, one soon found that the wire inside could get
damaged. Mind you the treatment in the average TV factory was not exactly
careful, I have to say with them being dragged over sharp edges of steel
chassis etc.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Nick Odell" wrote in message
On 9 Nov 2020 15:17:00 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Mon, 09 Nov 2020 05:57:01 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

Just looking back at an old record of department purchases since 1957.
Tracked done one of our remaining AVO's 8 mk III and ,atching serial
number it seems we bought 6 of them for £128 in Aug 1966. So about £22
each.

Just found it interesting wonder how you would factor in inflation and
what they would be in todays money.

They were about £1000 from RS when they last sold them, as I recall. That
would be about 2008.

I bought a mint condition Mark 6 for about £90 a while ago.

According to:
https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/mone...ion-calculator

that GBP22 would have been GBP412.93 in 2019 adjusting for inflation.

Nick