Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Cost of an AVO in 1966

In article ,
wrote:
On 09/11/2020 18:48, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Just looking back at an old record of department purchases since
1957.
Tracked done one of our remaining AVO's 8 mk III and ,atching
serial number it seems we bought 6 of them for £128 in Aug 1966. So
about £22 each.

Just found it interesting wonder how you would factor in inflation
and what they would be in todays money.

We've just bought a scope for £31 each last week :-)

Think I have another 10 in the post room today to collect.

In 66, a reasonable weeks wages would be about £10.
In 1961, I got £4.8/- but petrol was 4/6p

Very early 60s, I had a part share in an Austin 7 Ruby. It cost us £15.
You could fill it - 5 gallons of commercial petrol (2 star) - for a
quid.

My Morris tourer was £25!

I think my Anglia in 1972/3 was £15, but the fibreglass mat and resin to
fill the rust holes might have cost more ;-) It's a matter of great
retrospective relief that I didn't hit anything in that car!

by then I'd upgraded to a new Cortina. Which I kept for 13 years!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England