Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adjustable hole cutter

Looked at these on SF and the reviews are not good - flimsy etc.

At work we had single-sided one that worked well but it was made 'in house'.

Any recommendations for a good one, please?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2020 21:46, PeterC wrote:
Looked at these on SF and the reviews are not good - flimsy etc.

At work we had single-sided one that worked well but it was made 'in house'.

Any recommendations for a good one, please?

What size of hole range? What size/type material?

Router with DIY jig? - plenty of designs on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSf4eMgGHWo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2020 21:46:29, PeterC wrote:
Looked at these on SF and the reviews are not good - flimsy etc.

At work we had single-sided one that worked well but it was made 'in house'.

Any recommendations for a good one, please?

What size hole, wood, steel, thickness?

For wood you might like to look at "expansive bits".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2020 21:46, PeterC wrote:
Looked at these on SF and the reviews are not good - flimsy etc.

At work we had single-sided one that worked well but it was made 'in house'.

Any recommendations for a good one, please?

How big a hole and through what sort of material? What is SF?

A fairly basic adjustable one from one of the sheds will do anything up
to about 3" diameter fairly reliably through wood starting from opposite
sides nearly doubles the possible cut depth. Mine is still going strong
after years of heavy use so it can't be all that flimsy.

If you don't tighten it up properly then it will probably self destruct.

Fixed sized core drills can be had for almost any material.
But even they begin to struggle once you go past a certain depth or
diameter.

The guy who cut a hole in my solid Victorian brick wall for the fire
vent destroyed a core drill doing it and damaged a second one. The small
round flints in the handmade bricks jammed it at every opportunity.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 08:20, Martin Brown wrote:

What is SF?

Screwfix - similar to Toolsatan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 08:33, alan_m wrote:
On 06/11/2020 08:20, Martin Brown wrote:

What is SF?

Screwfix - similar to Toolsatan

Ah right. I have sometimes made the mistake of buying things from there
in pre lockdown days because they were slightly cheaper than B&Q and had
the exact size drill I wanted in stock. I vowed never to use them again
after a 45 minute wait at the online orders collection counter.

Do ToolSatan also have their queuing system designed as one of the inner
circles of Hell? That really only happens at B&Q on Bank Holidays.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 22:35:21 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 05/11/2020 21:46, PeterC wrote:
Looked at these on SF and the reviews are not good - flimsy etc.

At work we had single-sided one that worked well but it was made 'in house'.

Any recommendations for a good one, please?

What size of hole range? What size/type material?

Router with DIY jig? - plenty of designs on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSf4eMgGHWo

Sorry, should have said. Wood mainly - haven't needed bigger than hole-saw
size in metal for decades.
The hole that I needed was 110mm dia, so 55mm throw. I stitch-drilled it
then used a pad saw as close to the periphery as I could get, then rasp then
file...! The amount of 'swarf' was amazing.
I had a TC core drill of 115mm that would have been OK but didn't think of
that. I don't know how it would have done on wood.

Don't have a router, though.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Nov 2020 08:43:55 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

Ah right. I have sometimes made the mistake of buying things from there
in pre lockdown days because they were slightly cheaper than B&Q and had
the exact size drill I wanted in stock. I vowed never to use them again
after a 45 minute wait at the online orders collection counter.

Unlucky. I have never waited more than 10 minutes, and that was
exceptional. Usually it's straight in, straight out.

And they've just opened a new one under 2 miles away - half a mile nearer
than the one I used to use!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On 06/11/2020 08:33, alan_m wrote:
On 06/11/2020 08:20, Martin Brown wrote:

What is SF?

Screwfix - similar to Toolsatan

Ah right. I have sometimes made the mistake of buying things from there
in pre lockdown days because they were slightly cheaper than B&Q and had
the exact size drill I wanted in stock. I vowed never to use them again
after a 45 minute wait at the online orders collection counter.

Do ToolSatan also have their queuing system designed as one of the inner
circles of Hell? That really only happens at B&Q on Bank Holidays.

there are two TS close to me. I never have that sort of problem at either

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 08:43, Martin Brown wrote:
On 06/11/2020 08:33, alan_m wrote:
On 06/11/2020 08:20, Martin Brown wrote:

What is SF?

Screwfix - similar to Toolsatan

Ah right. I have sometimes made the mistake of buying things from there
in pre lockdown days because they were slightly cheaper than B&Q and had
the exact size drill I wanted in stock. I vowed never to use them again
after a 45 minute wait at the online orders collection counter.

At one time SF were bad at service but pre-lock-down this year the local
SF got a lot better.

In pre-lockdown go at the wrong time and every tradesman in his white
van will turn up at the same time. Go off-peak and service tends to be a
lot faster UNLESS you get the one time DIYer who doesn't know what they
actually want from reading the catalogue

Do ToolSatan also have their queuing system designed as one of the inner
circles of Hell? That really only happens at B&Q on Bank Holidays.

These days both Screwfix and Toolstation are click and collect. Order on
line and pay then wait for the text (or email?) message to say that your
order has been processed. You then go to the store/outlet, give them
the last digits of the order number, perhaps provide photo ID or produce
the card from which you paid and they will fetch your order.

I've found with many SF orders that if I order after 9:30 am the
confirmation text arrives around 10 to 15 minutes later. The wait at
the store (outside) depends on how many people also waiting but if
avoiding the "tradesmen times" (after opening, lunch time, and common
work knock off times) that often there is only one person in front of me
and, locally, 3 service counters.

In my area SF and TS are in adjacent buildings and TS seem to have a
very similar, or identical, system.

On-line you have to check that the local outlet has stock or that it can
be obtained the next day. For next day you may not get the confirmation
until after 1 pm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

Do ToolSatan also have their queuing system designed as one of the inner
circles of Hell?

At the moment they don't let you in the building, you just collect from
a table outside the doors ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Sounds like he was using el-cheapo tungsten carbide core drill and not a
diamond core drill, which has very fine 'teeth' so less likely to
jam.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 23:40:36 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 05/11/2020 21:46:29, PeterC wrote:
Looked at these on SF and the reviews are not good - flimsy etc.

At work we had single-sided one that worked well but it was made 'in house'.

Any recommendations for a good one, please?

What size hole, wood, steel, thickness?

For wood you might like to look at "expansive bits".

These look good - I might get one - but go up to 76mm dia.
Hole saws go higher but 102mm (not quite big enough, so some filing needed)
then to 114mm (too big!).
I have hole saws going to 70mm so I'll get some bigger ones then make do and
bodge!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Pipe cutter replacement cutter wheel... dpb[_3_] Home Repair 22 May 20th 18 11:02 AM
A wet disk tile cutter for the price of a basic dry cutter? Cursitor Doom UK diy 7 December 3rd 13 05:40 PM
Adjustable hole cutter fred UK diy 12 April 25th 13 10:00 PM
Adjustable Bed Mattress Find a Sale on Adjustable Bed Mattresses [email protected] Home Ownership 0 February 23rd 08 02:56 AM
Adjustable hole saw/circle cutter Norm Dresner Metalworking 3 January 6th 06 08:21 PM