Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Adjustable hole cutter

On 06/11/2020 08:43, Martin Brown wrote:
On 06/11/2020 08:33, alan_m wrote:
On 06/11/2020 08:20, Martin Brown wrote:

What is SF?

Screwfix - similar to Toolsatan

Ah right. I have sometimes made the mistake of buying things from there
in pre lockdown days because they were slightly cheaper than B&Q and had
the exact size drill I wanted in stock. I vowed never to use them again
after a 45 minute wait at the online orders collection counter.

At one time SF were bad at service but pre-lock-down this year the local
SF got a lot better.

In pre-lockdown go at the wrong time and every tradesman in his white
van will turn up at the same time. Go off-peak and service tends to be a
lot faster UNLESS you get the one time DIYer who doesn't know what they
actually want from reading the catalogue

Do ToolSatan also have their queuing system designed as one of the inner
circles of Hell? That really only happens at B&Q on Bank Holidays.

These days both Screwfix and Toolstation are click and collect. Order on
line and pay then wait for the text (or email?) message to say that your
order has been processed. You then go to the store/outlet, give them
the last digits of the order number, perhaps provide photo ID or produce
the card from which you paid and they will fetch your order.

I've found with many SF orders that if I order after 9:30 am the
confirmation text arrives around 10 to 15 minutes later. The wait at
the store (outside) depends on how many people also waiting but if
avoiding the "tradesmen times" (after opening, lunch time, and common
work knock off times) that often there is only one person in front of me
and, locally, 3 service counters.

In my area SF and TS are in adjacent buildings and TS seem to have a
very similar, or identical, system.

On-line you have to check that the local outlet has stock or that it can
be obtained the next day. For next day you may not get the confirmation
until after 1 pm.