Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glue gun or epoxy glue for temporary basin repair?

As a temporary measure I wish to glue a broken basin back to-gether.
Should I use an epoxy glue or buy a glue gun?

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2020 13:57, Michael Chare wrote:
As a temporary measure I wish to glue a broken basin back to-gether.
Should I use an epoxy glue or buy a glue gun?

Epoxy. Hot glue would be hopeless.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2020 13:57, Michael Chare wrote:
As a temporary measure I wish to glue a broken basin back to-gether.
Should I use an epoxy glue or buy a glue gun?

Epoxy - 'Milliput' is excellent fir this - and possibly a hair drier or
heat gun...

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 15:54:57 +0100, williamwright
wrote:

On 18/10/2020 13:57, Michael Chare wrote:
As a temporary measure I wish to glue a broken basin back to-gether.
Should I use an epoxy glue or buy a glue gun?

Epoxy. Hot glue would be hopeless.

Agreed. But *proper* epoxy; not that crap that Araldite has become.
You can get some of the right stuff from Poland off Ebay and it's
coloured with a dense white pigment that's ideal for this purpose. You
can even use it for filling chipped porcelain in basins and baths and
it works really well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENAMEL-RE...wXPZe~Nyn#rwid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare expressed precisely :
As a temporary measure I wish to glue a broken basin back to-gether. Should I
use an epoxy glue or buy a glue gun?

Epoxy, the 24 hour setting stuff. It will give you time to position it
and the 24 hour stuff produces a stronger bond.

Hot glue will cool and set up, before you have time to position broken
the parts correctly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote on 18/10/2020 :
Agreed. But *proper* epoxy; not that crap that Araldite has become.
You can get some of the right stuff from Poland off Ebay and it's
coloured with a dense white pigment that's ideal for this purpose. You
can even use it for filling chipped porcelain in basins and baths and
it works really well.

Would that work on a chipped pressed steel white enamelled bath?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2020 18:47, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Cursitor Doom wrote on 18/10/2020 :
Agreed. But *proper* epoxy; not that crap that Araldite has become.
You can get some of the right stuff from Poland off Ebay and it's
coloured with a dense white pigment that's ideal for this purpose. You
can even use it for filling chipped porcelain in basins and baths and
it works really well.

Would that work on a chipped pressed steel white enamelled bath?

yes.

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Jimk formulated :
Go on! blow *seven quid* & report back!

--

A pointless exercise, expending time and money on something which might
prove not be suitable. However, has it has now been confirmed to be
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2020 13:57, Michael Chare wrote:
As a temporary measure I wish to glue a broken basin back to-gether.
Should I use an epoxy glue or buy a glue gun?

What sort of basin?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2020 18:04, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Hot glue will cool and set up, before you have time to position broken
the parts correctly.

It might also go all soft if you fill the basin with hot water :O

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2020 13:57, Michael Chare wrote:
As a temporary measure I wish to glue a broken basin back to-gether.
Should I use an epoxy glue or buy a glue gun?

Thank you for all the replies. It will just be a temporary fix until I
can completely refurbish the bathroom. The biggest problem will be
replacing the iron soil pipe outside which passes up throught the soffit
and the roof.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. Wrote in message:
Cursitor Doom wrote on 18/10/2020 :
Agreed. But *proper* epoxy; not that crap that Araldite has become.
You can get some of the right stuff from Poland off Ebay and it's
coloured with a dense white pigment that's ideal for this purpose. You
can even use it for filling chipped porcelain in basins and baths and
it works really well.

Would that work on a chipped pressed steel white enamelled bath?

Go on! blow *seven quid* & report back!
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. Wrote in message:
It happens that Jimk formulated :
Go on! blow *seven quid* & report back!

--

A pointless exercise, expending time and money on something which might
prove not be suitable. However, has it has now been confirmed to be
suitable for the job (thanks TNP), I have ordered a pack.

Fingers crossed then...

speculate to accumulate...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2020 18:04, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Michael Chare expressed precisely :
As a temporary measure I wish to glue a broken basin back to-gether.
Should I use an epoxy glue or buy a glue gun?

Epoxy, the 24 hour setting stuff. It will give you time to position it
and the 24 hour stuff produces a stronger bond.

Hot glue will cool and set up, before you have time to position broken
the parts correctly.

Its quite hard using hot glue on large bits of metal I find - they
conduct the heat away too quickly, and also are not easy surfaces to
bond to.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2020 13:57, Michael Chare wrote:

As a temporary measure I wish to glue a broken basin back to-gether.
Should I use an epoxy glue or buy a glue gun?

[repost - first appeared to get lost, however apologies for duplicates
if you see them!]

Set in 20 seconds, and form a strong bond that can be separated
relatively easily if required[1].

So when gluing paper / card etc or fabric to timber, you can glue and
move on very quickly.

Also massively useful in a workshop I find, for things like fixing
drawer fronts - a dab of hot melt at each end - push it into the right
place and hold for a few secs, you can now remove/open the draw and
drill / screw though without risk of the position slipping. Or just
fixing a template to something before marking or routing round it.
Same when fixing hinges on boxes - a dab of glue to allow you to
position, but then open the hinge while it stays in place so you can
mark / screw etc.

(hot paint scraper slid between parts, or freezer spay and a sharp tap)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 18 October 2020 21:31:12 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 18/10/2020 18:04, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Hot glue will cool and set up, before you have time to position broken
the parts correctly.

It might also go all soft if you fill the basin with hot water :O

Andy

If you could get the basin off & into a large oven, an epoxy repair might even be somewhat permanent, long as it gets heated & cooled slowly.

NT