DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Glue gun or epoxy glue for temporary basin repair? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/681067-glue-gun-epoxy-glue-temporary-basin-repair.html)

Michael Chare[_4_] October 18th 20 01:57 PM

Glue gun or epoxy glue for temporary basin repair?

As a temporary measure I wish to glue a broken basin back to-gether.
Should I use an epoxy glue or buy a glue gun?

--
Michael Chare

Brian Gaff October 18th 20 03:01 PM

Glue gun or epoxy glue for temporary basin repair?

Well if its heat glue would it not soften when hot water was in the basin?
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!

This document should only be read by those persons for whom Paranoia is
normal
and its contents are probably boring and confusing. If you receive this
e-Mail
message in error, do not notify the sender immediately, instead, print it
out and make
paper animals out of it. As the rest of this disclaimer is totally
incomprehensible, we have not bothered to attach it.

williamwright October 18th 20 03:54 PM

On 18/10/2020 13:57, Michael Chare wrote:
As a temporary measure I wish to glue a broken basin back to-gether.
Should I use an epoxy glue or buy a glue gun?

Epoxy. Hot glue would be hopeless.

Bill

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] October 18th 20 05:57 PM

Glue gun or epoxy glue for temporary basin repair?

On 18/10/2020 13:57, Michael Chare wrote:
As a temporary measure I wish to glue a broken basin back to-gether.
Should I use an epoxy glue or buy a glue gun?

Epoxy - 'Milliput' is excellent fir this - and possibly a hair drier or
heat gun...

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.

Cursitor Doom[_6_] October 18th 20 06:03 PM

Glue gun or epoxy glue for temporary basin repair?

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 15:54:57 +0100, williamwright
wrote:

On 18/10/2020 13:57, Michael Chare wrote:
As a temporary measure I wish to glue a broken basin back to-gether.
Should I use an epoxy glue or buy a glue gun?

Epoxy. Hot glue would be hopeless.

Agreed. But *proper* epoxy; not that crap that Araldite has become.
You can get some of the right stuff from Poland off Ebay and it's
coloured with a dense white pigment that's ideal for this purpose. You
can even use it for filling chipped porcelain in basins and baths and
it works really well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENAMEL-RE...wXPZe~Nyn#rwid

Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] October 18th 20 06:04 PM

Glue gun or epoxy glue for temporary basin repair?

Michael Chare expressed precisely :
As a temporary measure I wish to glue a broken basin back to-gether. Should I
use an epoxy glue or buy a glue gun?

Epoxy, the 24 hour setting stuff. It will give you time to position it
and the 24 hour stuff produces a stronger bond.

Hot glue will cool and set up, before you have time to position broken
the parts correctly.

Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] October 18th 20 06:47 PM

Cursitor Doom wrote on 18/10/2020 :
Agreed. But *proper* epoxy; not that crap that Araldite has become.
You can get some of the right stuff from Poland off Ebay and it's
coloured with a dense white pigment that's ideal for this purpose. You
can even use it for filling chipped porcelain in basins and baths and
it works really well.

Would that work on a chipped pressed steel white enamelled bath?

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] October 18th 20 06:54 PM

On 18/10/2020 18:47, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Cursitor Doom wrote on 18/10/2020 :
Agreed. But *proper* epoxy; not that crap that Araldite has become.
You can get some of the right stuff from Poland off Ebay and it's
coloured with a dense white pigment that's ideal for this purpose. You
can even use it for filling chipped porcelain in basins and baths and
it works really well.

Would that work on a chipped pressed steel white enamelled bath?

yes.

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat

Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] October 18th 20 07:45 PM

Glue gun or epoxy glue for temporary basin repair?

It happens that Jimk formulated :
Go on! blow *seven quid* & report back!

--

A pointless exercise, expending time and money on something which might
prove not be suitable. However, has it has now been confirmed to be

Roger Mills[_2_] October 18th 20 08:52 PM

Glue gun or epoxy glue for temporary basin repair?

On 18/10/2020 13:57, Michael Chare wrote:
As a temporary measure I wish to glue a broken basin back to-gether.
Should I use an epoxy glue or buy a glue gun?

What sort of basin?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Vir Campestris October 18th 20 09:31 PM

On 18/10/2020 18:04, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Hot glue will cool and set up, before you have time to position broken
the parts correctly.

It might also go all soft if you fill the basin with hot water :O

Andy

Michael Chare[_4_] October 18th 20 10:28 PM

Glue gun or epoxy glue for temporary basin repair?

On 18/10/2020 13:57, Michael Chare wrote:
As a temporary measure I wish to glue a broken basin back to-gether.
Should I use an epoxy glue or buy a glue gun?

Thank you for all the replies. It will just be a temporary fix until I
can completely refurbish the bathroom. The biggest problem will be
replacing the iron soil pipe outside which passes up throught the soffit
and the roof.

--
Michael Chare

Jimk October 19th 20 01:21 AM

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Jimk October 19th 20 01:22 AM

Glue gun or epoxy glue for temporary basin repair?

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. Wrote in message:
It happens that Jimk formulated :
Go on! blow *seven quid* & report back!

--

A pointless exercise, expending time and money on something which might
prove not be suitable. However, has it has now been confirmed to be
suitable for the job (thanks TNP), I have ordered a pack.

Fingers crossed then...

speculate to accumulate...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

John Rumm October 19th 20 01:54 AM

Glue gun or epoxy glue for temporary basin repair?

On 18/10/2020 18:04, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Michael Chare expressed precisely :
As a temporary measure I wish to glue a broken basin back to-gether.
Should I use an epoxy glue or buy a glue gun?

Epoxy, the 24 hour setting stuff. It will give you time to position it
and the 24 hour stuff produces a stronger bond.

Hot glue will cool and set up, before you have time to position broken
the parts correctly.

Its quite hard using hot glue on large bits of metal I find - they
conduct the heat away too quickly, and also are not easy surfaces to
bond to.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm October 19th 20 11:27 AM

Glue gun or epoxy glue for temporary basin repair?

On 18/10/2020 13:57, Michael Chare wrote:

As a temporary measure I wish to glue a broken basin back to-gether.
Should I use an epoxy glue or buy a glue gun?

[repost - first appeared to get lost, however apologies for duplicates
if you see them!]

Set in 20 seconds, and form a strong bond that can be separated
relatively easily if required[1].

So when gluing paper / card etc or fabric to timber, you can glue and
move on very quickly.

Also massively useful in a workshop I find, for things like fixing
drawer fronts - a dab of hot melt at each end - push it into the right
place and hold for a few secs, you can now remove/open the draw and
drill / screw though without risk of the position slipping. Or just
fixing a template to something before marking or routing round it.
Same when fixing hinges on boxes - a dab of glue to allow you to
position, but then open the hinge while it stays in place so you can
mark / screw etc.

(hot paint scraper slid between parts, or freezer spay and a sharp tap)

--
Cheers,

John.

[email protected] October 26th 20 07:35 PM

On Sunday, 18 October 2020 21:31:12 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 18/10/2020 18:04, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Hot glue will cool and set up, before you have time to position broken
the parts correctly.

It might also go all soft if you fill the basin with hot water :O

Andy

If you could get the basin off & into a large oven, an epoxy repair might even be somewhat permanent, long as it gets heated & cooled slowly.

NT