Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Finishing Aluminium

Hi Guys

I am profiling a bracket shape out of 12 thk aluminium.

Got as far as the rough profile with a jig saw and a bit of chain
drilling and will dress it to shape with a file next.
The question is, how do I get a decent finish on this?
The edges will need tidying as will some scratches that were
already present in the metal surface.

Is this a job for ever increasing grit sand paper?
How do I achieve a polished finish if that isn't asking the obvious?

Thanks

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2020 19:16, thescullster wrote:
Hi Guys

I am profiling a bracket shape out of 12 thk aluminium.

Got as far as the rough profile with a jig saw and a bit of chain
drilling and will dress it to shape with a file next.
The question is, how do I get a decent finish on this?
The edges will need tidying as will some scratches that were
already present in the metal surface.

Is this a job for ever increasing grit sand paper?
How do I achieve a polished finish if that isn't asking the obvious?

Thanks

Phil

https://www.toolstation.com/abracs-n...RoCKLAQAvD_BwE

then acetone, then primer, then spray.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2020 19:16, thescullster wrote:
Hi Guys

I am profiling a bracket shape out of 12 thk aluminium.

Got as far as the rough profile with a jig saw and a bit of chain
drilling and will dress it to shape with a file next.
The question is, how do I get a decent finish on this?
The edges will need tidying as will some scratches that were
already present in the metal surface.

Is this a job for ever increasing grit sand paper?

yes

How do I achieve a polished finish if that isn't asking the obvious?

Wver increasing grit sand* paper?
Followed by a buffing wheel and cutting/polishing compound

*wet and dry, used wet.

It won't stay shiny long though. Not aluminium. Always ends up looking
dull and slightly oxidated.

Thanks

Phil

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2020 19:16, thescullster wrote:
Hi Guys

I am profiling a bracket shape out of 12 thk aluminium.

Got as far as the rough profile with a jig saw and a bit of chain
Â* drilling and will dress it to shape with a file next.
The question is, how do I get a decent finish on this?
The edges will need tidying as will some scratches that were
Â* already present in the metal surface.

Is this a job for ever increasing grit sand paper?

yes

How do I achieve a polished finish if that isn't asking the obvious?

Wver increasing grit sand* paper?
Followed by a buffing wheel and cutting/polishing compound

*wet and dry, used wet.

It won't stay shiny long though. Not aluminium. Always ends up looking
dull and slightly oxidated.

It will be fine if you lacquer it or it is in a nice dry environment.
Humidity and alkalis are the enemy of aluminium metal.

Its weak point will be the screws/bolts since dissimilar metals in
contact also leads to corrosion problems.

Anodising will work but not for a mirror finish. Not really DIY either.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 19:16:15 +0100 (GMT+01:00), thescullster
wrote:

The edges will need tidying as will some scratches that were
already present in the metal surface.

Is this a job for ever increasing grit sand paper?

Yes.

I like something around 120 grit to finish, maybe 220. Sandpaper on table, push
over it along a guide to get the final scratches parallel and straight to
finish.

How do I achieve a polished finish if that isn't asking the obvious?

Finer paper, and/or Scotchbrite, and then polishing wheels: felt and sewn, with
the buffing compounds. I have cheap Wolfcraft "Hobby Polishing Set", felt and
sewn wheels, blocks of compound, an arbor, goes in a drill. Works fine, will
take ally to mirror finish with patience. (Leaves a black waxy mess imbedded in
your finger skin:-)

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Normally you would not aim for shiny, more a brush look,with a mildly
abrasive rotating brush of some kind. Then of course, if you are really
keen, you may need to get it anodized professionally, or maybe dipped in
alochrome to seal it. The latter gives a kind of almost satin finish with
tinges of gold sometimes in certain lights. Not as hard as anodising though.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"thescullster" wrote in message
Hi Guys

I am profiling a bracket shape out of 12 thk aluminium.

Got as far as the rough profile with a jig saw and a bit of chain
drilling and will dress it to shape with a file next.
The question is, how do I get a decent finish on this?
The edges will need tidying as will some scratches that were
already present in the metal surface.

Is this a job for ever increasing grit sand paper?
How do I achieve a polished finish if that isn't asking the obvious?

Thanks

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2020 19:16, thescullster wrote:
Hi Guys

I am profiling a bracket shape out of 12 thk aluminium.

Got as far as the rough profile with a jig saw and a bit of chain
drilling and will dress it to shape with a file next.
The question is, how do I get a decent finish on this?
The edges will need tidying as will some scratches that were
already present in the metal surface.

Is this a job for ever increasing grit sand paper?
How do I achieve a polished finish if that isn't asking the obvious?

Thanks

Phil

Finish the edges by draw filing (file used at 90 degrees to normal use)
with a fine file
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2020 12:16, thescullster wrote:

Had forgotten the term draw filing as I have been away from the tools
for decades. Will have to look at the most appropriate fasteners as I
will be tapping screws into the aluminium body.

self taps for thin sheet, but tap holes for machine screws in thicker
Or use some kind of nut insert - Al is not strong in shear...

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx