Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Finishing Aluminium

On 16/10/2020 19:16, thescullster wrote:
Hi Guys

I am profiling a bracket shape out of 12 thk aluminium.

Got as far as the rough profile with a jig saw and a bit of chain
drilling and will dress it to shape with a file next.
The question is, how do I get a decent finish on this?
The edges will need tidying as will some scratches that were
already present in the metal surface.

Is this a job for ever increasing grit sand paper?

yes

How do I achieve a polished finish if that isn't asking the obvious?

Wver increasing grit sand* paper?
Followed by a buffing wheel and cutting/polishing compound

*wet and dry, used wet.

It won't stay shiny long though. Not aluminium. Always ends up looking
dull and slightly oxidated.

Thanks

Phil

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that