Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer Thomas Prufer is offline

Default Finishing Aluminium

On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 19:16:15 +0100 (GMT+01:00), thescullster
wrote:

The edges will need tidying as will some scratches that were
already present in the metal surface.

Is this a job for ever increasing grit sand paper?

Yes.

I like something around 120 grit to finish, maybe 220. Sandpaper on table, push
over it along a guide to get the final scratches parallel and straight to
finish.

How do I achieve a polished finish if that isn't asking the obvious?

Finer paper, and/or Scotchbrite, and then polishing wheels: felt and sewn, with
the buffing compounds. I have cheap Wolfcraft "Hobby Polishing Set", felt and
sewn wheels, blocks of compound, an arbor, goes in a drill. Works fine, will
take ally to mirror finish with patience. (Leaves a black waxy mess imbedded in
your finger skin:-)

Thomas Prufer