Posted to uk.d-i-y
thescullster thescullster is offline

Default Finishing Aluminium

Wrote in message:
On 16/10/2020 19:16, thescullster wrote: Hi Guys I am profiling a bracket shape out of 12 thk aluminium. Got as far as the rough profile with a jig saw and a bit of chain drilling and will dress it to shape with a file next. The question is, how do I get a decent finish on this? The edges will need tidying as will some scratches that were already present in the metal surface. Is this a job for ever increasing grit sand paper? How do I achieve a polished finish if that isn't asking the obvious? Thanks Phil Finish the edges by draw filing (file used at 90 degrees to normal use) with a fine file

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Had forgotten the term draw filing as I have been away from the
tools for decades.
Will have to look at the most appropriate fasteners as I will be
tapping screws into the aluminium body.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----