Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default Finishing Aluminium

In article ,
thescullster wrote:
Wrote in message:
On 16/10/2020 19:16, thescullster wrote: Hi Guys I am profiling a
bracket shape out of 12 thk aluminium. Got as far as the rough
profile with a jig saw and a bit of chain drilling and will dress
it to shape with a file next. The question is, how do I get a decent
finish on this? The edges will need tidying as will some scratches
that were already present in the metal surface. Is this a job
for ever increasing grit sand paper? How do I achieve a polished
finish if that isn't asking the obvious? Thanks Phil Finish the
edges by draw filing (file used at 90 degrees to normal use) with a
fine file

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Had forgotten the term draw filing as I have been away from the
tools for decades.
Will have to look at the most appropriate fasteners as I will be
tapping screws into the aluminium body.

At school, we were taught not to use the best files on ally, as it clogs
the teeth. But that was before the days of readily available abrasive
sheets of all types.

Chalk or paraffin can help with clogging, and my remaining memory pixies
seem to think that caustic soda solution can be used to clean files that
are clogged with aluminium