Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Castor-resistant laminate

I'm about to re-floor my "man cave" (2.0M x 3.20M). I'd like to use wood
effect laminate but I'm worried that my desire to scoot around on my
swivel chair will damage it. It has 5 castored feet and I weigh 13.5
stone. What am I looking for? Is it AC4, IC2 or something else entirely?

Any advice gratefully received.

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2020 12:20, Another Dave wrote:
I'm about to re-floor my "man cave" (2.0M x 3.20M). I'd like to use wood
effect laminate but I'm worried that my desire to scoot around on my
swivel chair will damage it. It has 5 castored feet and I weigh 13.5
stone. What am I looking for? Is it AC4, IC2 or something else entirely?

Any advice gratefully received.

Get a big mat. Office chairs are too skiddy on hard floors IME.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 Oct 2020 13:20:25 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

On 06/10/2020 12:20, Another Dave wrote:
I'm about to re-floor my "man cave" (2.0M x 3.20M). I'd like to use wood
effect laminate but I'm worried that my desire to scoot around on my
swivel chair will damage it. It has 5 castored feet and I weigh 13.5
stone. What am I looking for? Is it AC4, IC2 or something else entirely?

Any advice gratefully received.

Get a big mat. Office chairs are too skiddy on hard floors IME.

I bought a chair-mat from Ikea in 2012; it's still in use but, as it's on a
rug on a carpet, it's a bit turned up at the edges and there are some cracks
but nothing serious.
It does 'walk' a bit on the rug so I usually move it back to about an inch
or so clear of the edge. On a hard floor it would do a lot better.
There is a 'correct' way up for it but, as the chair will roll out the top
and cause a bit of a curve, migh be worth turning occasionally.
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/kolon-f...ctor-44881100/
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2020 12:20, Another Dave wrote:
I'm about to re-floor my "man cave" (2.0M x 3.20M). I'd like to use wood
effect laminate but I'm worried that my desire to scoot around on my
swivel chair will damage it. It has 5 castored feet and I weigh 13.5
stone. What am I looking for? Is it AC4, IC2 or something else entirely?

Any advice gratefully received.

'er indoors uses such a chair on a patch of, ahem, value-for-money wood
effect laminate. That is used like one of the mats one can buy - i.e.
laid on top of carpet + underlay. I shudder to think what state the
carpet + underlay are in but after 7 years the laminate is dull and a
bit chipped at the unbounded edges but otherwise undamaged.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2020 17:19, Robin wrote:
On 06/10/2020 12:20, Another Dave wrote:
I'm about to re-floor my "man cave" (2.0M x 3.20M). I'd like to use
wood effect laminate but I'm worried that my desire to scoot around on
my swivel chair will damage it. It has 5 castored feet and I weigh
13.5 stone. What am I looking for? Is it AC4, IC2 or something else
entirely?

Any advice gratefully received.

'er indoors uses such a chair on a patch of, ahem, value-for-money wood
effect laminate.Â* That is used like one of the mats one can buy - i.e.
laid on top of carpet + underlay.Â* I shudder to think what state the
carpet + underlay are in but after 7 years the laminate is dull and a
bit chipped at the unbounded edges but otherwise undamaged.

The idea of an extra sacrificial layer does appeal. Thanks.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to techie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Oct 2020 16:54:07 +0100, Another Dave wrote:

On 06/10/2020 17:19, Robin wrote:
On 06/10/2020 12:20, Another Dave wrote:
I'm about to re-floor my "man cave" (2.0M x 3.20M). I'd like to use
wood effect laminate but I'm worried that my desire to scoot around on
my swivel chair will damage it. It has 5 castored feet and I weigh
13.5 stone. What am I looking for? Is it AC4, IC2 or something else
entirely?

Any advice gratefully received.

'er indoors uses such a chair on a patch of, ahem, value-for-money wood
effect laminate.Â* That is used like one of the mats one can buy - i.e.
laid on top of carpet + underlay.Â* I shudder to think what state the
carpet + underlay are in but after 7 years the laminate is dull and a
bit chipped at the unbounded edges but otherwise undamaged.

The idea of an extra sacrificial layer does appeal. Thanks.

I use one of the mats from an office furniture supplier. Not incredibly
cheap, but it has lasted about 15 years with no dsiacerbible wear. It has
small plastic spike moulded into it, and never shifts.

I am heavy on stuff like this; wore out my office carpet at work! And I
am on the second chair in that time (it was new when the mat was new).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, October 7, 2020 at 8:36:30 PM UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Typists chairs/operators swivel chairs are available with castors suited to these surfaces

Attaching Castor to Wooden Bench Leg tonkski[_2_] UK diy 10 February 18th 18 06:41 AM
Replacement Parker Knoll Castor polygonum UK diy 19 June 16th 15 10:39 AM
Bad Castor ---- I think un-yEnc'd (0/1) Roy Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 April 20th 13 12:26 AM
Castor Removal Rod UK diy 5 March 12th 08 06:58 PM
need castor info Mike S. Woodworking 4 April 12th 05 03:07 AM