Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Castor Removal

I have got an ordinary office chair. One of the castors broke but the
distributor (dpauk.net) has quite efficiently sent me a set of castors
(all five). (I write "quite" as they first sent out a set of the wrong
castors. But both sets have been sent for free which is pretty good -
the chair is a fairly low cost model.)

But I cannot see a way of removing the "spike" part of the broken
castor. I think you can see clearly what I mean in this pictu

http://www.vrod.co.uk/chair.jpg

I tried pulling it out using pliers - but it seems to be extremely
firmly fixed. The new castors have the "spike" already inserted into
them. The bit that sticks up from the new castor has a metal
circlip-like object on it. Any ideas?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
I have got an ordinary office chair. One of the castors broke but the
distributor (dpauk.net) has quite efficiently sent me a set of castors
(all five). (I write "quite" as they first sent out a set of the wrong
castors. But both sets have been sent for free which is pretty good -
the chair is a fairly low cost model.)

But I cannot see a way of removing the "spike" part of the broken
castor. I think you can see clearly what I mean in this pictu

http://www.vrod.co.uk/chair.jpg

I tried pulling it out using pliers - but it seems to be extremely
firmly fixed. The new castors have the "spike" already inserted into
them. The bit that sticks up from the new castor has a metal
circlip-like object on it. Any ideas?

--
Rod

onset.

You need a flat U shaped metal bar preferably to fit in between the metal
and plastic castor which would allow you to prise it off.

An open ended spanner might do it? or a hefty blade screwdriver?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
I have got an ordinary office chair. One of the castors broke but the
distributor (dpauk.net) has quite efficiently sent me a set of castors (all
five). (I write "quite" as they first sent out a set of the wrong castors.
But both sets have been sent for free which is pretty good - the chair is a
fairly low cost model.)

But I cannot see a way of removing the "spike" part of the broken castor.
I think you can see clearly what I mean in this pictu

http://www.vrod.co.uk/chair.jpg

I tried pulling it out using pliers - but it seems to be extremely firmly
fixed. The new castors have the "spike" already inserted into them. The
bit that sticks up from the new castor has a metal circlip-like object on
it. Any ideas?

Mole grips, big hammer, brute force.

New one goes in quite easily

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

George wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

You made me look again. Man in chair shop had said it was impossible to
remove the castor from its spike (something about the castor being
moulded onto the spike when it was made). So I was looking to remove the
spike from the web of the chair. And that was proving to be very
difficult. (Zero space between the collar on that and the web of the
chair so impossible to get anything in to lever it.)

I have just successfully done what man in shop said I couldn't but said
I should - screwdriver between castor and it's metal spike. A minute of
pushing/shoving and it was out. Castor now attached to spike on web.
Chair repaired.

Thank you - sometimes the right nudge is all that is needed.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

Confucious say : Man in shop big nob. :-)

They are pushed onto to the spike during assembly and not moulded around
spike.
As you have found out they can be prised of with a screwdriver as of one of
my suggestions.
Castors on 3 piece suites are the same idea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The charges being £1 for hitting it £99 for knowing where to hit it.

Tub removal..? Charles Pisano Home Repair 1 January 21st 08 08:46 PM
Tap removal John UK diy 9 February 15th 07 02:27 PM
Gum Removal Ross Mac Home Repair 4 June 13th 05 04:15 AM
need castor info Mike S. Woodworking 4 April 12th 05 03:07 AM
How much does one tip removal men? MM UK diy 27 November 30th 04 05:38 PM