Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tap removal

I need to remove a wash basin tap as it is leaking water around the body
when the basin is rinsed down. I want to seal it properly.

The nut is deep up inside the china and I need a spanner.

I have looked at this on the Screwfix site but wondered if it might be too
bulky to properly get onto the back-nut.
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...nner&x=14&y=13

What do you think - is there a more slender one available or am I worrying
unnecessarily?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 21:28:22 +0000, John wrote:

I need to remove a wash basin tap as it is leaking water around the body
when the basin is rinsed down. I want to seal it properly.

The nut is deep up inside the china and I need a spanner.

I have looked at this on the Screwfix site but wondered if it might be too
bulky to properly get onto the back-nut.
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...nner&x=14&y=13

What do you think - is there a more slender one available or am I worrying
unnecessarily?

That's the tool to use if you don't want to re-do the pipework (though
you'll probably need a new fibre washer for the tap connector) but it's a
PITA to use - I usually cut off the pipe tails and use a box spanner.
Monument do one specifically for bath and basin taps. Then you can refit
the taps with flexible tails.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
news
[...]

I might disconnect at the isolating valve - then I don't need to concern
myself with the fibre washer.

Do I assume you have no concerns about the chunkiness of the tool?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 21:28:22 +0000, John wrote:

I need to remove a wash basin tap as it is leaking water around the body
when the basin is rinsed down. I want to seal it properly.

The nut is deep up inside the china and I need a spanner.

I have looked at this on the Screwfix site but wondered if it might be too
bulky to properly get onto the back-nut.
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...nner&x=14&y=13

What do you think - is there a more slender one available or am I worrying
unnecessarily?

===============================
This one is easier to use:

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 22:04:01 +0000, John wrote:

I might disconnect at the isolating valve - then I don't need to concern
myself with the fibre washer.

You'll need to disconnect at the tap connector to remove the tap - or do
you just want to loosen the backnut without removing the tap?

Do I assume you have no concerns about the chunkiness of the tool?

Can't say for sure without seeing the clearance around the taps underneath
your basin - only you can tell that

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Basin wrenches are much too bulky for most tap backnuts.

Backnut box spanner available from plumbers merchants is the tool you need.

You may still need the adjustable wrench to dis/connect the tap connector
though.

"John" wrote in message
I need to remove a wash basin tap as it is leaking water around the body
when the basin is rinsed down. I want to seal it properly.

The nut is deep up inside the china and I need a spanner.

I have looked at this on the Screwfix site but wondered if it might be too
bulky to properly get onto the back-nut.

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...nner&x=14&y=13

What do you think - is there a more slender one available or am I worrying
unnecessarily?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've tried several and prefer this one http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/420064

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Backnut box spanner is the tool to use for basin taps ,no swearing or
cursing and the tap will stay where you put it ,there are cheap ones out
there but Monument is the best,and yes the adjustable can be to bulky for
some basins

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 21:28:22 +0000, John wrote:

I need to remove a wash basin tap as it is leaking water around the body
when the basin is rinsed down. I want to seal it properly.

The nut is deep up inside the china and I need a spanner.

I have looked at this on the Screwfix site but wondered if it might be too
bulky to properly get onto the back-nut.
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...nner&x=14&y=13

What do you think - is there a more slender one available or am I worrying
unnecessarily?

That's the tool to use if you don't want to re-do the pipework (though
you'll probably need a new fibre washer for the tap connector) but it's a
PITA to use - I usually cut off the pipe tails and use a box spanner.
Monument do one specifically for bath and basin taps. Then you can refit
the taps with flexible tails.

I have the Screwfix-type one too and agree wholeheartedly about the PITA
bit! Hadn't heard of the Monument one - I shall look out for that. Does
it fit the nut which holds the tap against the basin, rather than the
pipework-tap connector?

David

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster
John Stumbles wrote:
[...]

There are instructions on how to remove/replace taps here-

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/di...basin_taps.htm

A box spanner is the way to go!

tap-tap-tap central heating [email protected] UK diy 2 December 11th 06 01:42 PM
Monoblock tap removal stixwix UK diy 7 September 23rd 06 02:52 PM
Is tooth brushing water from hot tap safer than from cold tap? David P UK diy 197 May 20th 06 09:31 AM
Kitchen Drinking tap: Removal Mark Carver UK diy 1 February 16th 05 09:44 AM
Need EDM / Tap removal - Los Angeles William Graves Metalworking 9 January 7th 05 06:59 PM