Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Monoblock tap removal

I have a leaky monoblock tap and will need to get it off to have a
look. On inspection underneath, the big 'nut' looks extremely hard to
get at because of all the drainage and pipes etc.
Do plumbers use special bendy spanners and are all these nuts a
standard size?
Thanks,
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stixwix wrote:
I have a leaky monoblock tap and will need to get it off to have a
look. On inspection underneath, the big 'nut' looks extremely hard to
get at because of all the drainage and pipes etc.
Do plumbers use special bendy spanners and are all these nuts a
standard size?
Thanks,
Andy

Use an appropriate box spanner

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 20/09/2006 17:55 stixwix wrote:

I have a leaky monoblock tap and will need to get it off to have a
look. On inspection underneath, the big 'nut' looks extremely hard to
get at because of all the drainage and pipes etc.
Do plumbers use special bendy spanners and are all these nuts a
standard size?

I used a socket from the local car spares shop. Worked a treat on the
end of a not too long extension and ratchet.

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" wrote in message
On 20/09/2006 17:55 stixwix wrote:

I have a leaky monoblock tap and will need to get it off to have a
look. On inspection underneath, the big 'nut' looks extremely hard to
get at because of all the drainage and pipes etc.
Do plumbers use special bendy spanners and are all these nuts a
standard size?

I used a socket from the local car spares shop. Worked a treat on the end
of a not too long extension and ratchet.

--
Frank

-----but if the pipes have been splayed out.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stixwix wrote:
I have a leaky monoblock tap and will need to get it off to have a
look.

You don't need to take it off. If it goes from on to off in a quarter turn
you may need to change the ceramic cartridges, or if it takes several turns
maybe the rubber washer. Both are accessable by removing the top, undoing
the screw & unscrewing the jumper - make sure the water is off first
obviously.

On inspection underneath, the big 'nut' looks extremely hard to
get at because of all the drainage and pipes etc.
Do plumbers use special bendy spanners and are all these nuts a
standard size?

Plumbers use a set of box spanners. They are around a £5 from a 'real'
plumbers shop.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Plumbers use a set of box spanners. They are around a £5 from a 'real'
plumbers shop.

Sockets and box spanners won't work because the water supply pipes
connect to the base of the tap. I would have thought this would always
be the case? I'll see if i can pick up a normal 'open' spanner from a
hardware shop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
stixwix wrote:
Plumbers use a set of box spanners. They are around a £5 from a 'real'
plumbers shop.

Sockets and box spanners won't work because the water supply pipes
connect to the base of the tap. I would have thought this would always
be the case? I'll see if i can pick up a normal 'open' spanner from a
hardware shop.

You said you wanted to remove the tap, so to do this you'll have to
disconnect the pipes. After that you can usually get a box spanner on to
the nut.

But if you wish to just slacken the nut without disconnecting, a pair of
slip joint (waterpump) pliers is likely to be as good as an open end
spanner.

--
*How can I miss you if you won't go away?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Sep 2006 01:22:18 -0700, "stixwix" wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Plumbers use a set of box spanners. They are around a £5 from a 'real'
plumbers shop.

Sockets and box spanners won't work because the water supply pipes
connect to the base of the tap. I would have thought this would always
be the case? I'll see if i can pick up a normal 'open' spanner from a
hardware shop.

But I thought you were trying to remove what you describe as the "big nut" in
other words,the one that holds the tap to the basin so a box spanner should do
or an adjustable or similar .. If you want to fully remove the tap then you will
also need to undo the nearest connector to the supply pipes which should be
somewhere near to the tap either at the foot of the flexible connectors or on
the copper pipe ..

Stuart