Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wall to wall carpet removal

I am thinking of pulling up the wall to wall carpet from the living
room in my apt. Of course I have the approval of the landlord. What
I want to know is what is involved...besides the physical removal of
the carpet, and then removal of the strips around the edges, with
the upside down nails that have kept the carpet in place.

Thanks in advance for any advise,
Bonnie
Posted to alt.home.repair

The removal of carpet is fairly easy. After clearing the room of all
furniture, start by pulling the carpet up in one corner of the room and
work your way out from there. You will need a utility knife to cut the
carpet into easy to manage sections as you remove it. After the carpet
is out, you will need to remove the padding which will be stapled down.
If the padding is still in good shape and you plan on putting in new
carpet, leave the padding alone. However, padding is cheap enough to
replace what is there. So, if you have any doubts, replace it. If you
are removing the padding, it will pull up easily and will tear/break
apart as you pull it. Once the padding is out, you will need to remove
all of the staples (if on a wood floor/subfloor) that held it down. A
good set of pliers will do the job. If you are after a hardwood floor
underneath, then you will need to remove the "tackless" strips (the
strips of wood that have the upside down nails) along the edge of the
room. A small pry bar will do the trick in removing those. Pry where
the strips are nailed down and they should come out easily. If you are
replacing the carpet with new carpet, then leave the tackless strips in
place. I would estimate that you could remove the carpet, padding and
tackless in a 12 x12 foot room in 2 hours, not counting furniture
removal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rosebud wrote:
I am thinking of pulling up the wall to wall carpet from the living
room in my apt. Of course I have the approval of the landlord. What
I want to know is what is involved...besides the physical removal of
the carpet, and then removal of the strips around the edges, with
the upside down nails that have kept the carpet in place.

Thanks in advance for any advise,
Bonnie

Worst part of this job will be the disposal of the old carpet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What odd quirk of fate caused RayV to generate the following ::
rosebud wrote:
I am thinking of pulling up the wall to wall carpet from the living
room in my apt. Of course I have the approval of the landlord. What
I want to know is what is involved...besides the physical removal of
the carpet, and then removal of the strips around the edges, with
the upside down nails that have kept the carpet in place.

Thanks in advance for any advise,
Bonnie

Worst part of this job will be the disposal of the old carpet.

Thanks everyone--much appreciated

bonnie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Brew Man wrote:
The removal of carpet is fairly easy. After clearing the room of all..u are
replacing the carpet with new carpet, then leave the tackless strips in
place. I would estimate that you could remove the carpet, padding and
tackless in a 12 x12 foot room in 2 hours, not counting furniture
removal.

what up

I never understood these staples

a person puts carpet on hardwood floors
they say.. "it's cheaper than refinishing".. or for whatever reason

WHY THE HELL would they load the hardwood floor up with staples

i had to pull about 2,000 staples from a small area.. it was insane
that someone felt a padding needed staples

professional installers do not staple the padding to any floor

i might put one here or there just to make a fold co-operate