William Graves

Default Need EDM / Tap removal - Los Angeles

Actually I am near LAX (Manhattan Beach).

I just blew two taps (7BA - 0.102 major diameter, 0.082 tap hole size) into
a nice new Staurt Steam Engine casting.
None of my tap extractors are small enough and the area by the flutes is
almost non-existent!
Anyone know a place to get small taps removed in Los Angeles?
-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bill Graves RKBA!

Trevor Jones

William Graves wrote:

Actually I am near LAX (Manhattan Beach).

I just blew two taps (7BA - 0.102 major diameter, 0.082 tap hole size) into
a nice new Staurt Steam Engine casting.
None of my tap extractors are small enough and the area by the flutes is
almost non-existent!
Anyone know a place to get small taps removed in Los Angeles?
-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bill Graves RKBA!

Oyyy Yoyyyy!

Are the taps HSS or carbon steel, do you know?

Carbon steel taps can often be removed with a burr in a Dremel or
similar tool, after heating the part to near a red heat and allowing it
to cool slowly.

I've carved out a HSS tap or two using dental burrs, but its slow work.

I'm sure there must be a shop around with a tap burner. I'd start by
calling machine shops in your area to see if they can either help, or
recomend someone.

Meanwhile, time to start working on a tapping guide. :-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones
J. R. Carroll

"William Graves" wrote in message
nk.net...
Actually I am near LAX (Manhattan Beach).

I just blew two taps (7BA - 0.102 major diameter, 0.082 tap hole size)

into
a nice new Staurt Steam Engine casting.
None of my tap extractors are small enough and the area by the flutes is
almost non-existent!
Anyone know a place to get small taps removed in Los Angeles?
-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tap Ex
1940 W Rosecrans
Gardena, CA
310-323-3834

The area code may not be correct, been years since I used them.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.

Jon Elson

William Graves wrote:

Tap Ex
1940 W Rosecrans
Gardena, CA
310-323-3834
John R. Carroll

Yes, he's still there and willing to do the job. He says he is going to
retire but has a little too much work right now and so he will wait a
little!
Glad to see he has a specialized little machine.
Most of the suggestions on technique won't work with this tiny little carbon
steel tap (0.096 major diameter).

I built a little EDM tap burner myself for similar crises. See
http://pico-systems.com/edm.html for how I did it. If you have some
electrical/electronic junk around, this could work quite well. The
smaller the tap, the faster it will burn out.

Jon

J. R. Carroll

"William Graves" wrote in message
nk.net...
Tap Ex
1940 W Rosecrans
Gardena, CA
310-323-3834
John R. Carroll

Yes, he's still there and willing to do the job. He says he is going to
retire but has a little too much work right now and so he will wait a
little!
Glad to see he has a specialized little machine.
Most of the suggestions on technique won't work with this tiny little

carbon
steel tap (0.096 major diameter).

Bill,
He's been saying that for 15 years now - almost exactly that same line.
The biz is in his blood I think, he won't retire - he will die ( and happy
at that).

"Jon Elson" wrote in message ...

William Graves wrote:

Tap Ex
1940 W Rosecrans
Gardena, CA
310-323-3834
John R. Carroll

Yes, he's still there and willing to do the job. He says he is going to
retire but has a little too much work right now and so he will wait a
little!
Glad to see he has a specialized little machine.
Most of the suggestions on technique won't work with this tiny little carbon
steel tap (0.096 major diameter).

I built a little EDM tap burner myself for similar crises. See
http://pico-systems.com/edm.html for how I did it. If you have some
electrical/electronic junk around, this could work quite well. The
smaller the tap, the faster it will burn out.

Jon

Neat idea, Jon, I may try it.

I have a friend who has an EDM shop (San Jose area), but I hate to admit I was an idiot and broke the tap...

It occurs to me that it might be easier to connect the electrode lead to the mill and insulate the work in
the vise. Obviously, one would rather not have arcin' & sparkin' inside the mill quill, but a commutator to
the drill chuck shouldn't be too hard to rig...

Jerry

Ken Grunke

William Graves wrote:
Actually I am near LAX (Manhattan Beach).

I just blew two taps (7BA - 0.102 major diameter, 0.082 tap hole size) into
a nice new Staurt Steam Engine casting.
None of my tap extractors are small enough and the area by the flutes is
almost non-existent!
Anyone know a place to get small taps removed in Los Angeles?
-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bill Graves RKBA!

If it's an aluminum casting, there was a recent thread here (r.c.m) on
boiling in an alum solution to dissolve the tap.

Ken Grunke

--
take da "ma" offa dot com fer eemayl
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Ken Grunke" wrote in message
William Graves wrote:
Actually I am near LAX (Manhattan Beach).

I just blew two taps (7BA - 0.102 major diameter, 0.082 tap hole size)

into
a nice new Staurt Steam Engine casting.
None of my tap extractors are small enough and the area by the flutes is
almost non-existent!
Anyone know a place to get small taps removed in Los Angeles?
Bill Graves RKBA!

If it's an aluminum casting, there was a recent thread here (r.c.m) on
boiling in an alum solution to dissolve the tap.

Ken Grunke

IIRC, nitric acid dissolves steel taps while leaving Al stock alone. I've
not tried it, but I think I read it in one of the Machinist's Bedside
Readers.

LLoyd