"Jon Elson" wrote in message ...

William Graves wrote:

Tap Ex
1940 W Rosecrans
Gardena, CA
310-323-3834
John R. Carroll

Yes, he's still there and willing to do the job. He says he is going to
retire but has a little too much work right now and so he will wait a
little!
Glad to see he has a specialized little machine.
Most of the suggestions on technique won't work with this tiny little carbon
steel tap (0.096 major diameter).

I built a little EDM tap burner myself for similar crises. See
http://pico-systems.com/edm.html for how I did it. If you have some
electrical/electronic junk around, this could work quite well. The
smaller the tap, the faster it will burn out.

Jon

Neat idea, Jon, I may try it.

I have a friend who has an EDM shop (San Jose area), but I hate to admit I was an idiot and broke the tap...

It occurs to me that it might be easier to connect the electrode lead to the mill and insulate the work in
the vise. Obviously, one would rather not have arcin' & sparkin' inside the mill quill, but a commutator to
the drill chuck shouldn't be too hard to rig...

Jerry