Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Attaching Castor to Wooden Bench Leg

I want to raise a workbench up by a few inches, and thought it would be handy to do this usIng suitable braked castors so that I can move the bench around more easily. The legs of the bench are 80 x 60 mm in section and made of softwood. I can't find any suitable castors with a rectangular top plate of the right dimensions, so I was thinking of using castors with a single bolt hole, attached using a 10mm dia screw. This is the kind of castor I'm thinking of:

http://www.rosscastors.co.uk/100mm-s...ber-wheel.html

Would this work? Any better suggestions please.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 16 February 2018 20:33:42 UTC, tonkski wrote:
I want to raise a workbench up by a few inches, and thought it would be handy to do this usIng suitable braked castors so that I can move the bench around more easily. The legs of the bench are 80 x 60 mm in section and made of softwood. I can't find any suitable castors with a rectangular top plate of the right dimensions, so I was thinking of using castors with a single bolt hole, attached using a 10mm dia screw. This is the kind of castor I'm thinking of:

http://www.rosscastors.co.uk/100mm-s...ber-wheel.html

Would this work? Any better suggestions please.

why would it not work?
how will you brake it?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The first problem I've just seen is that there isn't room to insert a screw from underneath, unless the wheel is easily removed.

The castor which I linked to has a model with a brake built in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 16 February 2018 21:04:06 UTC, tonkski wrote:
The first problem I've just seen is that there isn't room to insert a screw from underneath, unless the wheel is easily removed.

I noticed, so I assume either the wheel is removable or it twists onto a bolt sunk into the leg. The seller should be able to answer that.

The castor which I linked to has a model with a brake built in.

so what's the problem?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 16/02/2018 21:10, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 12:51:31 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Friday, 16 February 2018 20:33:42 UTC, tonkski wrote:
I want to raise a workbench up by a few inches, and thought it would be handy to do this usIng suitable braked castors so that I can move the bench around more easily. The legs of the bench are 80 x 60 mm in section and made of softwood. I can't find any suitable castors with a rectangular top plate of the right dimensions, so I was thinking of using castors with a single bolt hole, attached using a 10mm dia screw. This is the kind of castor I'm thinking of:

http://www.rosscastors.co.uk/100mm-s...ber-wheel.html

Would this work? Any better suggestions please.

why would it not work?

If the work bench is going to get some serious loading, might not
nylon casters be better, more rigid?

Or something like this, but a bit meatier?
http://www.firstcastors.com/en/super...wivel-castor-2

It depends how often the OP wants to move the bench.

how will you brake it?

The link given by the OP shows that both unbraked and braked versions
are available. IME, the brakes on these castors are not always 100%
effective, although they might be better on rubber, more for the brake
to bite into IYSWIM.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That's an interesting alternative thanks, and the top plate will fit too. I won't be moving the bench very often.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If the bench needs to be stable castors brakes or no brakes are a pain. The
problem is that the wheels can be locked but the swivel cannot making the
bench jiggle as the pivot rotates in the mounting.
My feeling is to abandon the movable idea, unless stability is of no
concern, and resort to the old brick under the legs method used for many
years!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"tonkski" wrote in message
I want to raise a workbench up by a few inches, and thought it would be
handy to do this usIng suitable braked castors so that I can move the bench
around more easily. The legs of the bench are 80 x 60 mm in section and made
of softwood. I can't find any suitable castors with a rectangular top plate
of the right dimensions, so I was thinking of using castors with a single
bolt hole, attached using a 10mm dia screw. This is the kind of castor I'm
thinking of:

http://www.rosscastors.co.uk/100mm-s...ber-wheel.html

Would this work? Any better suggestions please.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tonkski wrote:
The first problem I've just seen is that there isn't room to insert a screw from underneath, unless the wheel is easily removed.

The castor which I linked to has a model with a brake built in.

Fixing to end grain isn't going to be very stong. Especially for a
workbench.

I'd look at making a steel strap which goes up two sides of the wood leg
and fix to that. Or even some form of socket arrangement.

--
*What do little birdies see when they get knocked unconscious? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

If the bench needs to be stable castors brakes or no brakes are a pain. The
problem is that the wheels can be locked but the swivel cannot making the
bench jiggle as the pivot rotates in the mounting.

Get some castors that mount to the side of the legs, rather than
underneath them, when not being wheeled the bench is as solid as before

https://paulsellers.com/2015/02/lift-off-add-some-sidekicks-for-greater-movability

This has the disadvantage for the O/P that it doesn't raise the bench.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I like that those castors are only loaded when I want to move the bench, which is good for strength and stability. As you say, leaves me with the question of how to raise the bench height a few inches, neatly and strongly. Other than bricks!

Edison Circuit - 24V on leg 2 when leg 1 breaker is on. Lynda Home Repair 1 August 3rd 11 03:28 AM
Edison Circuit - 24V on leg 2 when leg 1 breaker is on. Lynda Home Repair 6 August 2nd 11 10:14 PM
Castor Removal Rod UK diy 5 March 12th 08 06:58 PM
Underground, quarrying, mining, air-leg, jack-leg, hand-held rock drills, button bit, drag bits,drill rod, drill tube, drill bit, core bit, core barrel, diamonde core bit, DTH hammer, taper rod, integral drill rod, taper bit, rock drilling tools wangsbin Woodturning 0 September 1st 06 07:34 AM
need castor info Mike S. Woodworking 4 April 12th 05 03:07 AM