Mary Fisher

"sid" wrote in message ...

"
That Health & Safety Executive legislation now requires that
ANYONE who can potentially fall more than 2metres whilst working
should be provided with and use a fall arrest protection system!

See: http://www.thewindowman.co.uk/

Mary

That applies to Heatlth and Safety at work. Not to DIY.

Right, thanks.

Hm - for how long though ...

Mary

S Viemeister

Mary Fisher wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

Wherebouts are you, Sheila?

The north coast of Sutherland.

Oh. We're going up to Jill's soon but I think Sutherland's too far from

Oban
to drop in on you ... another time perhaps.

When will you be there?
I expect to be with family in Edinburgh until the middle of the month.

I'll be at the Batle of Bannockburn on 18/19 September, go to Jill's on
20th, probably for a week.

Email me if you think you might get further north - I'll have tea and
home-baking ready for you.
I think you have my _real_ email address?

Sheila

sid

That Health & Safety Executive legislation now requires that
ANYONE who can potentially fall more than 2metres whilst working
should be provided with and use a fall arrest protection system!

See: http://www.thewindowman.co.uk/

Mary

That applies to Health and Safety at work. Not to DIY.

Right, thanks.

Hm - for how long though ...

Mary

It seems that the trade bodies are having undue influence. Next will be
plumbing, then gardening (these lawn mower blades are really sharp - leave
it to a professional)

Car DIY - must be inspected by a qualified mechanic after any work relating
to safety issues (tyre pressure, brake work, starting the engine etc.)

Mary Fisher

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
That Health & Safety Executive legislation now requires that
ANYONE who can potentially fall more than 2metres whilst working
should be provided with and use a fall arrest protection system!

I think it depends on how long they`re expecting to work at height. ISTR
anything less than 15 minutes doesn`t fall under this legislation (no pun
intended)

Why is 15 minutes different from 16 minutes?

Or 14 minutes?

Mary

Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

Wherebouts are you, Sheila?

The north coast of Sutherland.

Oh. We're going up to Jill's soon but I think Sutherland's too far

from
Oban
to drop in on you ... another time perhaps.

When will you be there?
I expect to be with family in Edinburgh until the middle of the month.

I'll be at the Batle of Bannockburn on 18/19 September, go to Jill's on
20th, probably for a week.

Email me if you think you might get further north - I'll have tea and
home-baking ready for you.
I think you have my _real_ email address?

Possibly ...

I doubt that we'll have the energy to go to Sutherland ...

Mary

Sheila

Mary Fisher

"sid" wrote in message ...
That Health & Safety Executive legislation now requires that
ANYONE who can potentially fall more than 2metres whilst working
should be provided with and use a fall arrest protection system!

See: http://www.thewindowman.co.uk/

Mary

That applies to Health and Safety at work. Not to DIY.

Right, thanks.

Hm - for how long though ...

Mary

It seems that the trade bodies are having undue influence. Next will be
plumbing, then gardening (these lawn mower blades are really sharp - leave
it to a professional)

Car DIY - must be inspected by a qualified mechanic after any work

relating
to safety issues (tyre pressure, brake work, starting the engine etc.)

LOL!

Hmm.

Why am I laughing ... :-(

Mary

S Viemeister

Mary Fisher wrote:

I doubt that we'll have the energy to go to Sutherland ...

It's a gorgeous drive up the west coast.....

Sheila

Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

I doubt that we'll have the energy to go to Sutherland ...

It's a gorgeous drive up the west coast.....

I'm sure ... mail me with your addres ...

Mary

Sheila

Hamie

Owain wrote:
"Steve Walker" wrote
| Hi there, a question for the much-esteemed regs please.....
| Do the new regs for window replacement mean that DIY is
| effectively illegal now?
| (eg http://www.bexley.gov.uk/service/pla...l/windows.html )

DIY is not illegal, you just have to pay the council for a certificate.

This worries me...

I have an existing window, single glazed sash, that's pretty old & the
sashes are in pretty bad nick, but the frame oitself is fine. The fram
does have a problem in that it's been pushed back into the room by about
30mm and needs reseating...

If I do the work myself, remove the window frame, clean up the
brickwork, put it all back with new double glazed sashes (From copycat),
do I need to get it certified? (The house itself is 1890's and the sash
certainly looks old enough to be original).

TIA

Hamish.

Owain

Hamie

Owain wrote:
"Steve Walker" wrote
| Hi there, a question for the much-esteemed regs please.....
| Do the new regs for window replacement mean that DIY is
| effectively illegal now?
| (eg http://www.bexley.gov.uk/service/pla...l/windows.html )

DIY is not illegal, you just have to pay the council for a certificate.

This worries me...

I have an existing window, single glazed sash, that's pretty old & the
sashes are in pretty bad nick, but the frame oitself is fine. The fram
does have a problem in that it's been pushed back into the room by about
30mm and needs reseating...

If I do the work myself, remove the window frame, clean up the
brickwork, put it all back with new double glazed sashes (From copycat),
do I need to get it certified? (The house itself is 1890's and the sash
certainly looks old enough to be original).

TIA

Hamish.

Owain

John Rumm

Hamie wrote:

This worries me...

I have an existing window, single glazed sash, that's pretty old & the
sashes are in pretty bad nick, but the frame oitself is fine. The fram
does have a problem in that it's been pushed back into the room by about
30mm and needs reseating...

If I do the work myself, remove the window frame, clean up the
brickwork, put it all back with new double glazed sashes (From copycat),
do I need to get it certified? (The house itself is 1890's and the sash
certainly looks old enough to be original).

Nope that would be outside the regs since it would count as a repair
rather than a replacement.

--
Cheers,

John.

S Viemeister

Mary Fisher wrote:

I doubt that we'll have the energy to go to Sutherland ...

It's a gorgeous drive up the west coast.....

I'm sure ... mail me with your addres ...

Address and directions sent.

Sheila

Hamie

John Rumm wrote:
Hamie wrote:

This worries me...

I have an existing window, single glazed sash, that's pretty old & the
sashes are in pretty bad nick, but the frame oitself is fine. The fram
does have a problem in that it's been pushed back into the room by
about 30mm and needs reseating...

If I do the work myself, remove the window frame, clean up the
brickwork, put it all back with new double glazed sashes (From
copycat), do I need to get it certified? (The house itself is 1890's
and the sash certainly looks old enough to be original).

Nope that would be outside the regs since it would count as a repair
rather than a replacement.

Ah good... In that case I'll proceed...

I wonder how much of the original you need before a repair turns into a
replacement

[No, it's a repair, because the sash cord is original, I just replaced
the rest ]
John Rumm

Hamie wrote:

[No, it's a repair, because the sash cord is original, I just replaced
the rest ]

How about just keeping the view? ;-)

--
Cheers,