Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Microwave turntable motor failed.

Its a 17-yo Sharp microwave combi-oven which does a good
job as a mini-oven because it has an upper and a lower grill
element, so heats up quickly.

A few days ago there was a lot of graunching noises and the turntable
no longer turns.

I have removed the synchronous motor and the gears are all fine.
Turning the spigot with pliers rotates the motor itself, I can hear it.

It's marked AC220-240V 2.5.3 RPM 3/2.5Watts.

My multimeter says the contacts are 14.77 Kohms and if I connect
direct to the mains it is dead, not even a buzzing.

This place sells them :-

https://www.electricalsales.co.uk/sh...ive-motor.html

But I'm not paying £102, when they should be obtainable for about
10 to £15.

Part is marked CHINA GPS Corp ST-16 synchronous motor

MN73SSAQ
RMOTDA227WREO

There is a 2nd hand one on ebay for £10, but that might be dead too.
An Amazon site has them for about £45. Still too much.

Any ideas who else might sell them ?.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2020 16:24, Andrew wrote:
Its a 17-yo Sharp microwave combi-oven which does a good
job as a mini-oven because it has an upper and a lower grill
element, so heats up quickly.

There is a 2nd hand one on ebay for £10, but that might be dead too.
An Amazon site has them for about £45. Still too much.

Any ideas who else might sell them ?.

Andrew

Do a google image or ebay search on
Panasonic synchronous microwave motor

For about 5mins work with a hacksaw, should come in under a fiver for
something that looks about the same. Can't be that critical...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2020 16:37, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 30/08/2020 16:24, Andrew wrote:
Its a 17-yo Sharp microwave combi-oven which does a good
job as a mini-oven because it has an upper and a lower grill
element, so heats up quickly.

There is a 2nd hand one on ebay for £10, but that might be dead too.
An Amazon site has them for about £45. Still too much.

Any ideas who else might sell them ?.

Andrew

Do a google image or ebay search on
Panasonic synchronous microwave motor

For about 5mins work with a hacksaw, should come in under a fiver for
something that looks about the same. Can't be that critical...

I doubt if there is much difference in the motors between manufactures.
A general search on Ebay shows motors at under £10 and they all appear
to be of the same two physical construction irrespective of the
microwave models they are claimed to fit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

I doubt if there is much difference in the motors between manufactures.
A general search on Ebay shows motors at under £10 and they all appear
to be of the same two physical construction irrespective of the
microwave models they are claimed to fit.

Maybe the gearing changes, mine was 5/5 rpm (which I think means 5rpm on
50Hz and 6Hz on 60Hz)

the o/p seems to want 2.5/3 rpm

so maybe

https://cpc.farnell.com/europart/75-un-13/tyc50a/dp/WG22157

if the D-shaft and pins are right?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2020 17:15, Andy Burns wrote:
alan_m wrote:

I doubt if there is much difference in the motors between
manufactures. A general search on Ebay shows motors at under £10 and
they all appear to be of the same two physical construction
irrespective of the microwave models they are claimed to fit.

Maybe the gearing changes, mine was 5/5 rpm (which I think means 5rpm on
50Hz and 6Hz on 60Hz)

the o/p seems to want 2.5/3 rpm

so maybe

https://cpc.farnell.com/europart/75-un-13/tyc50a/dp/WG22157

if the D-shaft and pins are right?

But does it really matter if a turntable revolves (slowly) at twice the
rate?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

I doubt if there is much difference in the motors between
manufactures. A general search on Ebay shows motors at under £10 and
they all appear to be of the same two physical construction
irrespective of the microwave models they are claimed to fit.

Maybe the gearing changes, mine was 5/5 rpm (which I think means 5rpm on
50Hz and 6Hz on 60Hz)

the o/p seems to want 2.5/3 rpm

so maybe

https://cpc.farnell.com/europart/75-un-13/tyc50a/dp/WG22157

if the D-shaft and pins are right?

It's rated at mains voltage and the connection lugs are important
too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yup, I bent back the four crimps holding the base on and the plastic
gears are fine, plenty of grease still in there. Definately the
motor at fault.

Andrew

On 30/08/2020 17:42, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
So its a small motor, like the ones in old electric clocks with a gear
train? Are you absolutely sure the gears are ok? I'm assuming they are
plastic, as otherwise they would get cooked.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

I doubt if there is much difference in the motors between
manufactures. A general search on Ebay shows motors at under £10 and
they all appear to be of the same two physical construction
irrespective of the microwave models they are claimed to fit.

Maybe the gearing changes, mine was 5/5 rpm (which I think means 5rpm
on 50Hz and 6Hz on 60Hz)

the o/p seems to want 2.5/3 rpm

so maybe

https://cpc.farnell.com/europart/75-un-13/tyc50a/dp/WG22157

if the D-shaft and pins are right?

It's rated at mains voltage and the connection lugs are important
too.

But that one looks quite promising. Worth a try.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

if the D-shaft and pins are right?

It's rated at mains voltage and the connection lugs are important
too.

you say lugs, I say pins

some motors start in a random direction each time, others start in a
defined direction, I don't know if any turntables care?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz Wrote in message:
On 30/08/2020 16:24, Andrew wrote:
Its a 17-yo Sharp microwave combi-oven which does a good
job as a mini-oven because it has an upper and a lower grill
element, so heats up quickly.

There is a 2nd hand one on ebay for £10, but that might be dead too.
An Amazon site has them for about £45. Still too much.

Any ideas who else might sell them ?.

Andrew

Do a google image or ebay search on
Panasonic synchronous microwave motor

For about 5mins work with a hacksaw, should come in under a fiver for
something that looks about the same. Can't be that critical...

--
Adrian C

+1
--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2020 18:46, Andy Burns wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

if the D-shaft and pins are right?

It's rated at mains voltage and the connection lugs are important
too.

you say lugs, I say pins
some motors start in a random direction each time, others start in a

defined direction, I don't know if any turntables care?

Interestingly, I had always noticed that if I stopped microwaving
porridge after 1 min, to give it a stir, then pressing start again
the turntable would rotate in the opposite direction, after another
minute the same stop/start would send it back in the original
direction.

The motor only has two ?lugs for the electrical connection, so
how would a synchronous motor do this ?. Hopefully the failed
motor hasn't taken out a solid state component somewhere.

This microwave has three convection heaters, two quartz ones
in the top and a conventional 'dark' element under the
turntable. It gets up to temperature in a few minutes.
No other combi/micro seems to have the lower grilling
element and there are plenty of comments from people who
say their Panny/Samsung/? take 30 mins or more to get up to 200C,
or even never gets there.

My sharp oven can go up 240C (not that I have tried it), in fact
until about 5 years ago I had never used the convection setting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

if the D-shaft and pins are right?

It's rated at mains voltage and the connection lugs are important
too.

you say lugs, I say pins
Â* some motors start in a random direction each time, others start in a
defined direction, I don't know if any turntables care?

Interestingly, I had always noticed that if I stopped microwaving
porridge after 1 min, to give it a stir, then pressing start again
the turntable would rotate in the opposite direction, after another
minute the same stop/start would send it back in the original
direction.

The motor only has two ?lugs for the electrical connection, so
how would a synchronous motor do this ?. Hopefully the failed
motor hasn't taken out a solid state component somewhere.

My Daewoo does that, though I think the direction is random. (The
instructions warn you about this.) Synchronous clocks tended to restart
backwards after a power cut unless there's a mechanism to prevent it,
and a brush motor with a two pole armature would start either way;
presumably that's why they always have an odd number of poles.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 30 August 2020 16:24:17 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
[...]

Microwave oven motors are pretty much universal. Rotation speed varies a bit but doesn't matter at all.

NT