Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Microwave Turntable Motor: Interchangeability?

My friend's microwave oven has a non-working burnt out turntable motor. Some liquid spilled down to it, resulting in charred windings. These little motors are all AC synchronous motors. The original motor is rated at 2.5/3 RPM and 2.5/2 watts. On it is stamped "GM-20-12FG12," appearing to be a main identifier. I can find other 2.5/3 RPM synchronous motors but they have a different number stamped on them. E.g.

--http://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-Microwave-Turntable-Motor-2-5-3-rpm-SM16F-BY36P1A3-WB26X10038-/381695609199?hash=item58ded4c96f:g:bNcAAOSwRQlXf0F s and

--http://www.ebay.com/itm/Higashifuji-21-VAC-MT8-3-2-5-2-Watts-2-5-3-RPM-Turntable-Motor-Various-/172260627197?hash=item281b8892fd:g:tZQAAOSwzJ5Xdzu M.

I think my main concern is that the motor's male side plug fits into the female side connector to the microwave and that the mounting holes line up. Has anyone tried interchanging these motors with success?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 19, 2016 at 8:32:48 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

You can always cut the connector off the old motor and splice on on the new motor to hook it up but I'd be concerned about the control circuit board. Did you look to see if the motor burnout may have damaged the electronic components on the control board? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Microwaved Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster, except for the turntable not rotating, all the controls and the microwave oven seem to work fine. I think the liquid spillage instantly cut the very fine copper windings of the motor and cut off voltage to it. So it appears from my taking apart the motor and inspecting.

Yes, I could just cut off the connector and so on and wire nut the leads together. Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 19, 2016 at 10:46:07 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Uncle Monster, except for the turntable not rotating, all the controls and the microwave oven seem to work fine. I think the liquid spillage instantly cut the very fine copper windings of the motor and cut off voltage to it.. So it appears from my taking apart the motor and inspecting.

Yes, I could just cut off the connector and so on and wire nut the leads together. Thank you.

Given what you posted, I would think as long as the replacement will
fit and has the same power rating, you'll be fine. And good news is
they are cheap!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 19, 2016 at 4:30:29 PM UTC-5, Tekkie® wrote:
You sure it is the motor and not some fuse?

I fully dis-assembled the old motor. The windings were charred. A continuity test on the motor's two leads failed.

The microwave on which I am working is a range-top model. I already ordered a new used motor. But next time, maybe I will check out some of the microwaves where I am on craigslist.org and see if any of the specs for the motors match what I am trying to replace. I could buy a whole second-hand counter-top microwave for $20.

trader_4, thank you for the opinion.

Microwave overn turntable motor Richard Tobin UK diy 15 June 27th 11 11:58 PM
Microwave turntable direction Tom Del Rosso[_3_] Electronics Repair 28 October 27th 08 07:09 PM
Microwave Turntable Stopped Rob UK diy 5 April 1st 07 04:57 PM
Microwave turntable Lee burch Home Repair 7 December 18th 06 12:46 AM
Sharp Microwave turntable motor RichK Electronics Repair 11 May 27th 05 02:01 PM