Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Rob is offline

Default Microwave Turntable Stopped

My 18 month old Panasonic microwave's turntable has stopped going round.
It's this model:

http://shop.panasonic.co.uk/invt/nna574sbbtq

Does anyone know if this is an easy repair, either by me (sort of OK at
pulling things apart) or a technician?

Thanks, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob wrote:
My 18 month old Panasonic microwave's turntable has stopped going round.

Our old microwave had the same problem a few years ago: the problem was
by some silly sod (ahem) trying to defrost a quart of milk overnight on
a programmed defrost which incorporated 2 hours on 'rest' -
unfortunately it was actually 2 hours on full whack, and the ensuing
flood of milk inside the machine's innards tripped the MCB and meant our
radio alarm didn't go off next morning and we... anyway I digress.

With ours I was able to buy a new motor from the manufacturer's parts
supplier fairly reasonably, and it was just a case of a couple of bolts
holding it in place once I'd got the lid off the machine. I wouldn't
play about with anything associated with the microwave zapper or
whatever, but it was pretty simply and innocuous to repair the motor in
mine.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

With ours I was able to buy a new motor from the manufacturer's parts
supplier fairly reasonably, and it was just a case of a couple of bolts
holding it in place once I'd got the lid off the machine. I wouldn't play
about with anything associated with the microwave zapper or whatever, but
it was pretty simply and innocuous to repair the motor in mine.

Definitely stay away from the microwave side - the capacitor in use there
holds lethal amounts of volts and amps, something like 2KV at 500mA which
*will* kill you. First rule of working on a microwave is to *always*
discharge that cap, even if you're not going to be working near there cos
it's so easy for a finger to stray, or for you to drop a screwdriver or
whatever.....

Hellraiser.............

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Rob is offline

Hellraiser wrote:
With ours I was able to buy a new motor from the manufacturer's parts
supplier fairly reasonably, and it was just a case of a couple of bolts
holding it in place once I'd got the lid off the machine. I wouldn't play
about with anything associated with the microwave zapper or whatever, but
it was pretty simply and innocuous to repair the motor in mine.

Definitely stay away from the microwave side - the capacitor in use there
holds lethal amounts of volts and amps, something like 2KV at 500mA which
*will* kill you. First rule of working on a microwave is to *always*
discharge that cap, even if you're not going to be working near there cos
it's so easy for a finger to stray, or for you to drop a screwdriver or
whatever.....

Hellraiser.............

Many thanks both - I might well take a look. And thanks for the advice
on discharging the capacitor. Is this simply a case of leaving it
unplugged for a period of time - say 24 hours?

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rob" wrote in message
My 18 month old Panasonic microwave's turntable has stopped going round.
It's this model:

http://shop.panasonic.co.uk/invt/nna574sbbtq

Does anyone know if this is an easy repair, either by me (sort of OK at
pulling things apart) or a technician?

Thanks, Rob

Access to the TT motor on practically all modern microwaves is from the
underside.
You have to remove a round "knock-out" section, only you can't actually
knock
it out, you need to use a rat-tail file or even side-cutters. There are lugs
and a screw hole
provided for re-assembly just have a look underneath any microwave and you
will see
what I mean.
UNPLUG FIRST
Once you have got it open a couple of screws will remove the motor. On
Panasonics there is a spindle coupler that slips, so it may just be that.
Does the spindle rotate with the turntable removed?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rob" wrote in message
Hellraiser wrote:
[...]

Most microwaves have a circuit to discharge the cap, but sometimes this can
fail and leave it fully charged, hence the need to discharge it. There are
tools that can do it, or alternatively a screwdriver across the contacts
provides a satisfying bang and light show, but can damage the cap (and the
screwdriver holder) if not done carefully. Don't try to use a multimeter to
determine if it's charged or not though......

Hellraiser.................