pj

Default Microwave stopped heating

My Sharp microwave, manufactured 13 years ago this October 1st, has
suddenly stopped heating. All it does is make a VERY loud, whirring sound
when I try to use it. I say loud, because it has never sounded this way
before. The turntable still rotates, but nothing else happens. I looked in
the manual, and it stated that should it stop heating, check the outlet, and
the fuse, before having it serviced.

This may sound like a dumb question, but where exactly IS the fuse? The
manual neglects to tell me that. (This is a countertop model, not an
over-the-range type.)

Can anyone offer any advice, other than the usual "replace it, it's time!"?
Thanks in advance.
-- pj
JD

"pj" wrote in message
My Sharp microwave, manufactured 13 years ago this October 1st, has
suddenly stopped heating. All it does is make a VERY loud, whirring sound
when I try to use it. I say loud, because it has never sounded this way
before. The turntable still rotates, but nothing else happens. I

looked in
the manual, and it stated that should it stop heating, check the outlet,

and
the fuse, before having it serviced.

This may sound like a dumb question, but where exactly IS the fuse? The
manual neglects to tell me that. (This is a countertop model, not an
over-the-range type.)

If the manual doesn't show you the fuse it doesn't have one. They were
talking about the house. But that's strange too since fuses are obsolete.
But we're talking about an Asian translation here.

Can anyone offer any advice, other than the usual "replace it, it's

time!"?

Sorry, but it is time to replace. You can get a better, more efficient model
for less than $100.

TCS

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:36:08 GMT, pj wrote:
My Sharp microwave, manufactured 13 years ago this October 1st, has
suddenly stopped heating. All it does is make a VERY loud, whirring sound
when I try to use it. I say loud, because it has never sounded this way
before. The turntable still rotates, but nothing else happens. I looked in
the manual, and it stated that should it stop heating, check the outlet, and
the fuse, before having it serviced.

This may sound like a dumb question, but where exactly IS the fuse? The
manual neglects to tell me that. (This is a countertop model, not an
over-the-range type.)

Can anyone offer any advice, other than the usual "replace it, it's time!"?
Thanks in advance.

http://www.google.com/search?q=sci.e...microwave+oven
http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_micfaq.html

jeff

(pj) wrote in message ...
My Sharp microwave, manufactured 13 years ago this October 1st, has
suddenly stopped heating. All it does is make a VERY loud, whirring sound
when I try to use it. I say loud, because it has never sounded this way
before. The turntable still rotates, but nothing else happens. I looked in
the manual, and it stated that should it stop heating, check the outlet, and
the fuse, before having it serviced.

This may sound like a dumb question, but where exactly IS the fuse? The
manual neglects to tell me that. (This is a countertop model, not an
over-the-range type.)

Can anyone offer any advice, other than the usual "replace it, it's time!"?
Thanks in advance.
-- pj

Hi,

All it does is make a VERY loud, whirring sound
when I try to use it. I say loud, because it has never sounded this way
before. The turntable still rotates, but nothing else happens.

A copy...
Q - The microwave makes a loud "hum or buzz" noise but will not heat
up the food?

A - 9 times out of 10 this is usually this is a bad magnetron, the
other time is sometimes a bad high voltage diode.

This may sound like a dumb question, but where exactly IS the fuse? The
manual neglects to tell me that. (This is a countertop model, not an
over-the-range type.)

The fuse is right in side the unit, but if the fuse lets go the entire
unit ( clock, lights everthing ) would go off.

Can anyone offer any advice, other than the usual "replace it, it's time!"?
Thanks in advance.
-- pj

Take it in to local repair shop for an est....if too much to repair
purchase a new unit.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Dan O.

pj wrote in message ...

My Sharp microwave, manufactured 13 years ago
this October 1st, has suddenly stopped heating.
All it does is make a VERY loud, whirring sound
when I try to use it. The turntable still rotates, but
nothing else happens. I looked in the manual,
and it stated that should it stop heating, check the
outlet, and the fuse, before having it serviced.

This may sound like a dumb question, but where
exactly IS the fuse?

The only fuse would usually be inside the cabinet and require some
disassembly of the unit. It isn't the problem anyway because if it were the
whole microwave would stop working including all lights, motors, etc.

Can anyone offer any advice, other than the usual
"replace it, it's time!"?

If you took it to a local microwave repair depot, it may not be that
expensive to repair.

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Sharp+microwaves

=Ð~~~~~~

WasteNotWantNot

"Dan O." wrote in message ...
pj wrote in message ...

[...]

Walmart had them for $50 on my last trip.
If it were me I'd pull the cover, diagnose it, and go to my closet for
the part. It could be as simple as the diode which is easily changed.
But appliance outlets charge $25 sometimes for that simple little
part. You're not in a position to fix it.
Go shopping.
WasteNotWantNot

"Dan O." wrote in message ...
pj wrote in message ...

[...]

Noisy new boiler when heating water only David Hearn UK diy 8 May 20th 04 07:44 PM
dead GE microwave oven Chuck Chopp Electronics Repair 2 February 24th 04 02:01 AM
Hot Air Central Heating ron UK diy 6 January 17th 04 02:43 PM
Pool water in central heating system Andy Hall UK diy 1 September 2nd 03 05:01 PM
Further to my last post entitled 'Flushing and treating central heating question' David W.E. Roberts UK diy 0 July 29th 03 07:15 PM