Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Microwave Turntable Motor: Interchangeability?

On Friday, August 19, 2016 at 8:32:48 AM UTC-5, wrote:
My friend's microwave oven has a non-working burnt out turntable motor. Some liquid spilled down to it, resulting in charred windings. These little motors are all AC synchronous motors. The original motor is rated at 2.5/3 RPM and 2.5/2 watts. On it is stamped "GM-20-12FG12," appearing to be a main identifier. I can find other 2.5/3 RPM synchronous motors but they have a different number stamped on them. E.g.

--http://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-Microwave-Turntable-Motor-2-5-3-rpm-SM16F-BY36P1A3-WB26X10038-/381695609199?hash=item58ded4c96f:g:bNcAAOSwRQlXf0F s and

--http://www.ebay.com/itm/Higashifuji-21-VAC-MT8-3-2-5-2-Watts-2-5-3-RPM-Turntable-Motor-Various-/172260627197?hash=item281b8892fd:g:tZQAAOSwzJ5Xdzu M.

I think my main concern is that the motor's male side plug fits into the female side connector to the microwave and that the mounting holes line up. Has anyone tried interchanging these motors with success?

You can always cut the connector off the old motor and splice on on the new motor to hook it up but I'd be concerned about the control circuit board. Did you look to see if the motor burnout may have damaged the electronic components on the control board? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Microwaved Monster