Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 6 volt motor power source

On 09/07/2020 19:16, newshound wrote:
On 09/07/2020 18:50, Fredxx wrote:
On 09/07/2020 18:46:59, Andy Burns wrote:
Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:

What would be an ideal Ampage for this application?

Someone compared your application to a Dremmel and those are
130-175W, so at 6V would be 20-30A

Most mains motors make more heat than anything else.

It seems cordless go for a higher voltage to imply quality or power.
The world has gone mad. What is wrong with 'shaft power'?

A genuine Dremel has quite a lot of "oomph", metallurgists use them to
grind and then polish a few square centimetres of steel often starting
from a pretty rough and rusty surface. For cutting through a couple of
millimetres of wood with a proper saw you probably only need 10 watts or
so.

No. You will need more than that.

50W min. Id prefer 250...

--
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight
and understanding".

Marshall McLuhan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2020 19:26, Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:
On Thursday, 9 July 2020 19:17:48 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 09/07/2020 18:28, Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:
Hi.
Can I use
https://www.rapidonline.com/gp-batte...-white-18-0522

via

https://www.rapidonline.com/bkl-1008...raight-54-6230

to power a 6 volt dc motor?

Cheers.

What rating of motor?

I presume that means torque. Dunno anything about it.

You need a speed 400 or speed 600 can motor running off a 3 cell lipo
pack capable of 10A minimum

probably 1500mAh

I cant believe how much they are charging for a speed 600. I have dozens
bought on ebay for a quid a time. These days they want £15..

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 9 July 2020 20:02:06 UTC+1, Fredxx wrote:
On 09/07/2020 19:55:46, Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:
On Thursday, 9 July 2020 19:38:13 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 09/07/2020 19:35, Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:
On Thursday, 9 July 2020 19:27:56 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 09/07/2020 18:28, Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:
Hi.
Can I use
https://www.rapidonline.com/gp-batte...-white-18-0522

via

https://www.rapidonline.com/bkl-1008...raight-54-6230

to power a 6 volt dc motor?

Cheers.

What is the specification of the motor?

Motor info in the link.

Er, you links are to a battery and cable

Which reminds me, no one has answered the orig question which is,
will a 6 volt motor work if the power banks charge is transferred via that cable.

You don't get it do you?

Of course a 6V motor will work, if it's big enough. Some engines are
even started with a 6V electric motor.

What is "that cable"? It's all a bit like "this motor". Very vague
indeed. Are you a troll?

I'll have you know I had a haircut today and I look quite lovely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2020 20:02, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

It's a post without any real context.

What the OP may have failed to realise is that his previous posts on his
micro circular saw may not have been read by anyone now posting to this
latest request. Even if some of us did read the previous posts there
have been many hundreds of other posts to this group since and
remembering any real details from even a few days ago is suspect.

Previously a 3V motor taking 3W under load was being considered with
many suggesting that it was under powered. It now appears that its a 6V
motor but with no specification its hard to give any meaningful answers.

Yes it may run with a 5V supply and yes it may run with the lead in the
link but if the motor takes more than 1A under load then the battery
will/may be limiting the current

The OP is attempting to "design" a circular saw for young children to
cut no more than a 2mm wooden coffee stirrer with a 30 to 60mm blade so
possibly doesn't need to go to the level/power of a Dremel nor need to
go to 80W motors as used on some DIY "hobby" circular saws that can cut
9mm ply etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 9 July 2020 18:28:11 UTC+1, Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:
Hi.
Can I use
https://www.rapidonline.com/gp-batte...-white-18-0522

via

https://www.rapidonline.com/bkl-1008...raight-54-6230

to power a 6 volt dc motor?

Cheers.

Actually, that cable is no good. The power bank outputs its charge thru the USB A port.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2020 18:50, Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:
On Thursday, 9 July 2020 18:33:31 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:

Can I use
https://www.rapidonline.com/gp-batte...-white-18-0522

via

https://www.rapidonline.com/bkl-1008...raight-54-6230

to power a 6 volt dc motor?

You could, but running it at 5V and only 1A it'll be a bit underpowered,
if this is for your small circular saw ...

This saw will cut 2mm thick coffee stirrers.

Can we start again and ask what is the purpose of this exercise?

Is it to make a working tiny model wood cutting saw as a hobby project
or to do something to a large number of small thin pieces of wood?

Can it run off mains using an adaptor?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:

Can I use
https://www.rapidonline.com/gp-batte...-white-18-0522

via

https://www.rapidonline.com/bkl-1008...raight-54-6230

to power a 6 volt dc motor?

You could, but running it at 5V and only 1A it'll be a bit underpowered,
if this is for your small circular saw ...

This saw will cut 2mm thick coffee stirrers.

Can we start again and ask what is the purpose of this exercise?

Is it to make a working tiny model wood cutting saw as a hobby project
or to do something to a large number of small thin pieces of wood?

Can it run off mains using an adaptor?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I want to build a box that will house a circular saw blade that will
be fully enclosed within the box. However, there will be an slot into which
a coffee stirrer can be slid laterally.
If this unit runs on battery power the charge should be able to make...perhaps a 100 such cuts.
I hope thats enough info.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:
[...]

Using a multimeter, measure the current flow in the motor while
it is cutting the coffee stir stick. Maybe it's 6V @ 1.5A using
the six volt (four dry cells at 1.5V) you've been using so far
for testing.

Running a 6V motor at 5V from the power pack, will reduce
speed and power output.

Power packs, as we see them advertised online, are usually
5V items, because the power pack is intended to charge 5V
items in portable situations. With a large power pack,
you could go camping in the woods, and charge your cellphone
ten times before the power pack is drained. That is a
typical usage.

They expect mostly resistive loads. Not the inductive load
of the motor. And the power pack would also be limited in
the amount of capacitive load it could drive (not an issue
in this case).

1) Voltage is a bit low for the motor.

2) You can measure the current flow, using four dry cells
as a power source for your motor, while it cuts a coffee
stir stick. Dry cells are 1.5V each, four of them 6.0V,
and suitable for a quick check of performance.

3) Motor is an inductive load, with spiky current draw.
Not what the power pack was intended for, particularly.
The power pack has an SMPS driving the output. Many other
home made battery solutions you can build yourself, won't
have SMPS and will be better suited to the motor loading.

4) Power packs, as normally supplied, would not be an
ideal power source. Five NiCd cells at 1.2V each would
give 6V and would be rechargable like the power pack.
NiCd is less dense than the Lithium in the power pack.
Perhaps five NiMH cells at 1.2V each would be a solution,
assuming they can provide the amperage measured in (2).

A multimeter has a 10 amp current flow range, but the
meter is not intended to make "long time period" measurements.
Heed the duty cycle printed on the meter, if measuring 10 ampere
values of current. Lower currents, you can measure those for
a longer time without the shunt inside overheating.

*******

Batteries have specs.

https://power.tenergy.com/content/da..._datasheet.pdf

Tenergy D 10,000mAh NiMH Flat Top Rechargeable

Quick Charge: 2000mA for 7 hours === 14000mAh in, gives 10000mAh out

The battery unit shall be capable of supplying 2000mA
continuous discharge current for a minimum of 300 minutes
to the 1.0V end voltage within 1 hour after being standard charged.

That means the motor could draw at least 2 amps from such a rechargable
battery. You stop using the motor when the collection of batteries
drops to the 5.0V level (five cells at 1.0V each). If you drain
the batteries until completely flat, the battery gets damaged.

+-- batt --- batt --- batt --- batt --- batt ---+
| 1.2v 1.2v 1.2v 1.2v 1.2v | 6V = full
| | 5V = drained, stop using,
+---------- motor 6V @ 2amps -------------------+ time to recharge

The Power Pack you're looking at, has automatic cutoff. But,
the voltage is a bit low. If you make your own pack, it won't
have low voltage cutoff. Using your multimeter, you can
check occasionally to see if the cells have dropped to 5V.

This is an example of a charger for the D cells. My picking this,
is only to show some "features".

https://www.amazon.ca/EBL-Universal-.../dp/B01J5FDG1U

1-5 hours Dcell, 1800-10000mAh capacity

The unit will provide current for as long as it takes, so
instead of 5 hours at 2000mA to give 10000mAh, it might
take 7 yours at 2000mA. Each bay in the charger is independent
and terminates the charging process when its cell is full.

The bays in that unit are spring loaded, and the mechanical
design of that unit may leave a lot to be desired when
inserting cells.

*******

To join the batteries, the usage of battery holders helps. The
only problem is, finding good ones. For example, this one comes
with wires already fitted, but two does not divide into five
evenly. And the single cell holders (there are some), don't
come with wires. And the chances of finding a holder for
exactly five D cells is slim indeed. I did find a listing,
but I don't think they make them any more.

2 cell battery holder

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Plast.../dp/B00H8SRB5O

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:
> [...]

1-5 hours Dcell, 1800-10000mAh capacity

The unit will provide current for as long as it takes, so
instead of 5 hours at 2000mA to give 10000mAh, it might
take 7 yours at 2000mA. Each bay in the charger is independent
and terminates the charging process when its cell is full.

The bays in that unit are spring loaded, and the mechanical
design of that unit may leave a lot to be desired when
inserting cells.

*******

To join the batteries, the usage of battery holders helps. The
only problem is, finding good ones. For example, this one comes
with wires already fitted, but two does not divide into five
evenly. And the single cell holders (there are some), don't
come with wires. And the chances of finding a holder for
exactly five D cells is slim indeed. I did find a listing,
but I don't think they make them any more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:
> [...]

1-5 hours Dcell, 1800-10000mAh capacity

The unit will provide current for as long as it takes, so
instead of 5 hours at 2000mA to give 10000mAh, it might
take 7 yours at 2000mA. Each bay in the charger is independent
and terminates the charging process when its cell is full.

The bays in that unit are spring loaded, and the mechanical
design of that unit may leave a lot to be desired when
inserting cells.

*******

To join the batteries, the usage of battery holders helps. The
only problem is, finding good ones. For example, this one comes
with wires already fitted, but two does not divide into five
evenly. And the single cell holders (there are some), don't
come with wires. And the chances of finding a holder for
exactly five D cells is slim indeed. I did find a listing,
but I don't think they make them any more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:
> [...]

1-5 hours Dcell, 1800-10000mAh capacity

The unit will provide current for as long as it takes, so
instead of 5 hours at 2000mA to give 10000mAh, it might
take 7 yours at 2000mA. Each bay in the charger is independent
and terminates the charging process when its cell is full.

The bays in that unit are spring loaded, and the mechanical
design of that unit may leave a lot to be desired when
inserting cells.

*******

To join the batteries, the usage of battery holders helps. The
only problem is, finding good ones. For example, this one comes
with wires already fitted, but two does not divide into five
evenly. And the single cell holders (there are some), don't
come with wires. And the chances of finding a holder for
exactly five D cells is slim indeed. I did find a listing,
but I don't think they make them any more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:

[...]

I think Martin was hinting at why?.

Whilst the why PF your project is in some senses irrelevant, it might
influence the quality of advice that you get. If its purely to make a
child-safe electric toy saw there might be better ways to achieve what
you want. If you have a different motive for this project then again it
might be useful to share it as there may be other approaches that youve
not considered.

You currently seem to be determined to make an underpowered, under-speed
circular saw for no good reason and your requests for information suggest a
degree of mechanical and electrical inexperience. Nothing wrong with an
oddball project just for the heck of it but youll get better advice if
you explain WHY as well as WHAT youre trying to make.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur Ravenscroft Wrote in message:
Hi.
Can I use
https://www.rapidonline.com/gp-batte...-white-18-0522

via

https://www.rapidonline.com/bkl-1008...raight-54-6230

to power a 6 volt dc motor?

Cheers.

"What kind of rapid customer are you?"
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur Ravenscroft Wrote in message:
Hi.
Can I use
https://www.rapidonline.com/gp-batte...-white-18-0522

via

https://www.rapidonline.com/bkl-1008...raight-54-6230

to power a 6 volt dc motor?

Cheers.

"What kind of rapid customer are you?"
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur Ravenscroft Wrote in message:
Hi.
Can I use
https://www.rapidonline.com/gp-batte...-white-18-0522

via

https://www.rapidonline.com/bkl-1008...raight-54-6230

to power a 6 volt dc motor?

Cheers.

"What kind of rapid customer are you?"
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur Ravenscroft Wrote in message:
Hi.
Can I use
https://www.rapidonline.com/gp-batte...-white-18-0522

via

https://www.rapidonline.com/bkl-1008...raight-54-6230

to power a 6 volt dc motor?

Cheers.

"What kind of rapid customer are you?"
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 9 July 2020 18:28:11 UTC+1, Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:
Hi.
Can I use
https://www.rapidonline.com/gp-batte...-white-18-0522

via

https://www.rapidonline.com/bkl-1008...raight-54-6230

to power a 6 volt dc motor?

Cheers.

I should change tack and go with a power adapter, I think.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2020 20:31:36, alan_m wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I did look back a long way and can see an attempt to make a
small saw-bench. I couldn't see any reference to young children.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:
On Thursday, 9 July 2020 18:28:11 UTC+1, Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:
Hi.
Can I use
https://www.rapidonline.com/gp-batte...-white-18-0522

via

https://www.rapidonline.com/bkl-1008...raight-54-6230

to power a 6 volt dc motor?

Cheers.

I should change tack and go with a power adapter, I think.

Have you measured the consumption yet ?
While sawing the coffee stir stick.

Test Source -----------X Multimeter Amps X--------X motor X---+

Test Source --------------------------------------------------+

It sounds like you're using a different motor now.
Have a link to the information for that motor ?

This is an example of some datapoints for a DC motor.

Specifications

Free Speed:100 rpm
Stall Torque:8.6 in-lbs
Stall Current:2.6A
Free Current:0.18A

7.2 volts

Here is another motor, where they tried their hand at guesstimates,
versus someone finding the actual table values for it.

https://electronics.stackexchange.co...n-for-dc-motor

If you have a wall adapter, you have to think carefully about the
overcurrent detection and shutdown. When the motor starts from
zero speed, for a very short moment, it draws stall current. As
the saw blade begins to accelerate (even a little bit), the
current starts to drop towards the more normal values.

If I don't know anything about a motor, I check the nameplate.
If the nameplate says "one amp, running current", then my guess
(without justification) is 10X to 20X that value.

To run a 0.2A motor, I might want a 2A adapter. The above
table example makes 3A a safer bet.

Now, if you happened to use a 2A wall adapter, are sawing a
coffee stir stick, the blade jams, then the current leaps
up to 2.6A, which is more than the 2A adapter provides, and it
shuts off the output. So sometimes, a designer might be
taking advantage of such a characteristic on purpose.

On things like electric screwdrivers, they err in the "we won't
quit" direction, choosing to let the motor burn, rather than
annoy the user by not driving that screw all the way in.

But generally, you want a power source which covers a decent
part of the operating range, for fewer surprises.

*******

Did you know that even stinking light bulbs are a challenge ?

I think it's pretty funny, when I connect a light bulb to a
wall adapter, and the wall adapter shuts off. This happens because
a light bulb draws about double the power when it is cold, and
if you connect a 1A light bulb to a 1A adapter, the adapter
promptly shuts off. The light bulb draws 2A when cold. To
run a 1A incandescent light bulb then, you buy a 2A adapter
and then the bulb lights and the adapter stays on.

And this is why we need to discuss stall current, and behaviors
possible when the load is first switched on. This is part of
the reason why "inductive loads are a pest". And why it's an
achievement when a Tesla Power Wall (two of them power an entire
house), are able to withstand a 2HP motor on the air handler
of the heating system, without tripping out. A lot of other
powering options (that small Honda emergency generator you've
got), they hate firing up big motors.

Now, if you ignore my suggestion, at least you'll understand
why the motor is refusing to spin on a too-small wall adapter.

If the datasheet for the motor has all the necessary values,
then you don't need to be doing guesstimates or making current
flow measurements.

Paul