Old February 1st 05, 04:10 PM

Default 18 volt battery in 12 volt drill?

I've run a 14 volt drill with a 12 volt battery....has anyone
run an 12 volt dewalt drill with an 18 volt battery....I have
two 12 volt drills but would like to use the more powerful batteries.
Thanks

Paul

Old February 1st 05, 05:24 PM
Stormin Mormon

Some tool makers use different contact configurations, so that you can't
over volt a drill. 18 volts in a 12V drill is a bit too much. I wouldn't.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

oups.com...

Old February 1st 05, 05:41 PM
Rich

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've run a 14 volt drill with a 12 volt battery....has anyone
run an 12 volt dewalt drill with an 18 volt battery....I have
two 12 volt drills but would like to use the more powerful batteries.
Thanks

Paul

Most likely there would be no problem. The limiting factor is the size of
wire their used in the motor. I devised a way to use four batteries for an
old two battery screwdriver. Worked wonderfully.

Old February 1st 05, 06:04 PM
Professor

Right. I've run double and triple the rated voltage on DC drills. I've
abused them terribly and almost never burn up a motor because of it.
If you check the motor manufacturer's specs you will see that the
motors are rated for quite a range of voltages. If you have a source of
donor parts or the drill in mind is expendable, then have fun and go
for it. Custom made tools are great.

Old February 1st 05, 08:53 PM
m Ransley

The motor may handle it but you have electronics and gearing to
consider, it seems everyday products get cheaper, so do the internals.

Old February 1st 05, 09:18 PM
Matt

I have found the batteries to be too inconvienient to use, regardless
of the voltage. So, I went out and bought a new Dewalt and wired it
directly to the 120v house current. I also built an adaptor for it so
that it runs on 240 for those really tough jobs.

Old February 1st 05, 10:12 PM
m Ransley

Matt get a transformer 480v works best.

Old February 1st 05, 10:33 PM
Matt

Hey! I never thought of that. Will do!!!!!