Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default 6 volt motor power source

Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:
On Thursday, 9 July 2020 20:02:06 UTC+1, Fredxx wrote:
On 09/07/2020 19:55:46, Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:
On Thursday, 9 July 2020 19:38:13 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 09/07/2020 19:35, Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:
On Thursday, 9 July 2020 19:27:56 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 09/07/2020 18:28, Arthur Ravenscroft wrote:
Hi.
Can I use
https://www.rapidonline.com/gp-batte...-white-18-0522

via

https://www.rapidonline.com/bkl-1008...raight-54-6230

to power a 6 volt dc motor?

Cheers.

What is the specification of the motor?

Motor info in the link.

Er, you links are to a battery and cable

Which reminds me, no one has answered the orig question which is,
will a 6 volt motor work if the power banks charge is transferred via that cable.

You don't get it do you?

Of course a 6V motor will work, if it's big enough. Some engines are
even started with a 6V electric motor.

What is "that cable"? It's all a bit like "this motor". Very vague
indeed. Are you a troll?

I'll have you know I had a haircut today and I look quite lovely.

Using a multimeter, measure the current flow in the motor while
it is cutting the coffee stir stick. Maybe it's 6V @ 1.5A using
the six volt (four dry cells at 1.5V) you've been using so far
for testing.

Running a 6V motor at 5V from the power pack, will reduce
speed and power output.

Power packs, as we see them advertised online, are usually
5V items, because the power pack is intended to charge 5V
items in portable situations. With a large power pack,
you could go camping in the woods, and charge your cellphone
ten times before the power pack is drained. That is a
typical usage.

They expect mostly resistive loads. Not the inductive load
of the motor. And the power pack would also be limited in
the amount of capacitive load it could drive (not an issue
in this case).

1) Voltage is a bit low for the motor.

2) You can measure the current flow, using four dry cells
as a power source for your motor, while it cuts a coffee
stir stick. Dry cells are 1.5V each, four of them 6.0V,
and suitable for a quick check of performance.

3) Motor is an inductive load, with spiky current draw.
Not what the power pack was intended for, particularly.
The power pack has an SMPS driving the output. Many other
home made battery solutions you can build yourself, won't
have SMPS and will be better suited to the motor loading.

4) Power packs, as normally supplied, would not be an
ideal power source. Five NiCd cells at 1.2V each would
give 6V and would be rechargable like the power pack.
NiCd is less dense than the Lithium in the power pack.
Perhaps five NiMH cells at 1.2V each would be a solution,
assuming they can provide the amperage measured in (2).

A multimeter has a 10 amp current flow range, but the
meter is not intended to make "long time period" measurements.
Heed the duty cycle printed on the meter, if measuring 10 ampere
values of current. Lower currents, you can measure those for
a longer time without the shunt inside overheating.

*******

Batteries have specs.

https://power.tenergy.com/content/da..._datasheet.pdf

Tenergy D 10,000mAh NiMH Flat Top Rechargeable

Quick Charge: 2000mA for 7 hours === 14000mAh in, gives 10000mAh out

The battery unit shall be capable of supplying 2000mA
continuous discharge current for a minimum of 300 minutes
to the 1.0V end voltage within 1 hour after being standard charged.

That means the motor could draw at least 2 amps from such a rechargable
battery. You stop using the motor when the collection of batteries
drops to the 5.0V level (five cells at 1.0V each). If you drain
the batteries until completely flat, the battery gets damaged.

+-- batt --- batt --- batt --- batt --- batt ---+
| 1.2v 1.2v 1.2v 1.2v 1.2v | 6V = full
| | 5V = drained, stop using,
+---------- motor 6V @ 2amps -------------------+ time to recharge

The Power Pack you're looking at, has automatic cutoff. But,
the voltage is a bit low. If you make your own pack, it won't
have low voltage cutoff. Using your multimeter, you can
check occasionally to see if the cells have dropped to 5V.

This is an example of a charger for the D cells. My picking this,
is only to show some "features".

https://www.amazon.ca/EBL-Universal-.../dp/B01J5FDG1U

1-5 hours Dcell, 1800-10000mAh capacity

The unit will provide current for as long as it takes, so
instead of 5 hours at 2000mA to give 10000mAh, it might
take 7 yours at 2000mA. Each bay in the charger is independent
and terminates the charging process when its cell is full.

The bays in that unit are spring loaded, and the mechanical
design of that unit may leave a lot to be desired when
inserting cells.

*******

To join the batteries, the usage of battery holders helps. The
only problem is, finding good ones. For example, this one comes
with wires already fitted, but two does not divide into five
evenly. And the single cell holders (there are some), don't
come with wires. And the chances of finding a holder for
exactly five D cells is slim indeed. I did find a listing,
but I don't think they make them any more.

2 cell battery holder

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Plast.../dp/B00H8SRB5O

Paul